Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy wood pellets South East

Options
  • 20-10-2006 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I have installed a wood pellet stove and find it excellent. I know of a few locations to buy pellets but am looking for alternatives and preferably cheaper in the south east.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Hi Corner_Back,

You can try Balcas:

http://www.balcas.com/site/default.asp?CATID=315&s=Wood%20Pellets

They will be able to direct you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Hi Cornerback,

Can't help you with the pellet issue, but would like to ask you the following:

Which make did you go for, what size house and what size boiler ? And if you don't mind the all important Q How much???

We are also in south east and are at the stage where we will be sussuing out wood pellet burners.

Thanks in anticipation

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Call Stafford Fuels. They have a base in New Ross and just outside Aughrim (Co. Wicklow) deliver to your door. Make sure to tell them the size of pellets you need. They offer a good service we used them until we got our Balcas bulk order. Staffords also intend to do bulk supply when there are more people in market for pellets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Corner Back

secman wrote:
    Hi Cornerback,

Can't help you with the pellet issue, but would like to ask you the following:

Which make did you go for, what size house and what size boiler ? And if you don't mind the all important Q How much???

We are also in south east and are at the stage where we will be sussuing out wood pellet burners.

Thanks in anticipation

Secman

Sorry for delay.
    Stove is a Freddy Idro with heat exchanger. House is 1500 sq ft timber frame bungalow. The stove heats 8 rads with no problems (so far anyway). I bought it last January in the Fire Centre Kilkenny so wont publish price here. If you have any more questions please feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks Corner Back,

Checked that out, however we are looking for the boiler type for the garage, mind you that one looks the part if we went for an indoor stove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Corner Back

secman wrote:
    Thanks Corner Back,

Checked that out, however we are looking for the boiler type for the garage, mind you that one looks the part if we went for an indoor stove.

Was advised independently that you would need 3000 sq ft+ to justify going for boiler type. Dont know what anyone else thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Engine ear

just in the final stages of deciding on the heating supply, pretty interested in the wood pellet but have been warned that they will need to be cleaned very regulary up to once a day!! any thoughts? the kedco system seems pretty good price wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cossie1

Most boilers should only require cleaning every 6-8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My head is wrecked. Less than two weeks till we move in and still haven't decided on a pellet boiler. The people who seem to know what they're talking about come out too expensive for our budget and the cheaper ones don't seem to have a clue. I could have bought and sold our Kedco rep never mind the bloody boiler.

Who did you get independent advice from, Corner Back? Every supplier I've spoken to says we need a 24KW boiler to heat our 2700sq ft house and it's 19 radiators.

I'm fed up to the back teeth and completely disillusioned with the whole thing. The oil boiler is there and only needs to be connected up. It's tempting at this late stage.:(

connect up the oil, you can always change it out later when the WPB supply issue has been sorted, or keep it as backup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I installed a baxi mutiheat from heatmerchants 6250 and also kept my oilburner in this gives me lots of opions at the moment i am burning barley and chaff a dusty material thats left over from milling wheat and barley it can also burn maize corn wheat and wood chips and wood pellets priced wood chips as cheap as 60 euro a ton
    I would think it could probaly even burn turf dust
    there is a lot more ash from burning anything other than wood pellets but not a problem for me
    If all else fails I can turn it off open 2 taps and flick a switch and presto
    back to oil
    If you have the space I would recomend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

My head is wrecked. Less than two weeks till we move in and still haven't decided on a pellet boiler. The people who seem to know what they're talking about come out too expensive for our budget and the cheaper ones don't seem to have a clue. I could have bought and sold our Kedco rep never mind the bloody boiler.

Who did you get independent advice from, Corner Back? Every supplier I've spoken to says we need a 24KW boiler to heat our 2700sq ft house and it's 19 radiators.

I'm fed up to the back teeth and completely disillusioned with the whole thing. The oil boiler is there and only needs to be connected up. It's tempting at this late stage.:(

I hope your not based in the Galway area!

A friend of mine is the Kedco franchisee in the Galway area, Here are the recommendations on the Kedco boilers.

House up to 2500 sq foot -> 16Kw
    House from 2500 to 3500 sq foot -> 24kw
    House from 3500 to 4500 sq foot -> 30kw

For a house of 2700 sq foot with 19 radiators the 24KW boiler is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

djmc wrote:
    I installed a baxi mutiheat from heatmerchants 6250 and also kept my oilburner in this gives me lots of opions at the moment i am burning barley and chaff a dusty material thats left over from milling wheat and barley it can also burn maize corn wheat and wood chips and wood pellets priced wood chips as cheap as 60 euro a ton
    I would think it could probaly even burn turf dust
    there is a lot more ash from burning anything other than wood pellets but not a problem for me
    If all else fails I can turn it off open 2 taps and flick a switch and presto
    back to oil
    If you have the space I would recomend it

The wood chips are much cheaper per ton than pellets, but how are they for output? Are the wood chips equal to pellets ton for ton?

Advertisement