Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Opel Astra Sportshatch v New Honda Civic

Options
  • 20-10-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Which would people go for, am 50/50 at the minute.

They are roughly about the same, and we re talking about 1.4 engines here.

Bought are roughly the same price and spec and tech specs as well.

Honda is slightly cheaper and aftersales appears to be better than Opel.

I already have an Astra which I would but I always said I would like one of the new Civc's as well.

I would intend to keep the car for five years and do the same again, which would be the better for holding its value etc.

Many Thanks

Kluivert

Civic v Astra 29 votes

Honda Civic 1.4
    0% 0 votes
    Opel Astra 1.4
    100% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I would be biased towards the Civic, but with a history of Civic's behind me, there's no surprise there.

Only thing with thr 1.4 Civic, is that's it slooowww. In that light, I'd nearly buy the Opel. Could you afford the 1.8 Civic, 'tis much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a no brainer for me, I would go with the Honda Civic.
    • The Civic has a 3 year warranty compared to Opel's 2 years.
    • Resale value of the Civic will be stronger in the long term.
    • From my experience Opel dealers and Opel Ireland are a bunch of muppets.
    • The Civic looks more practical than the Astra Sport Hatch.
    • Civic dashboard is very futuristic compared to the Astra's sober dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

The Civic will most likely not give you any trouble, I don't know if the same could be said for the Astra. The Civic has a nicely designed hi-tech interior but a debatable exterior. The interior of the Astra is not bad (I took one for the 3 day test drive), but externally I think it beats the Civic hands down. I'd take a punt on the Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thanks lads for the opinion so far.

Keep them rolling.

Its really is a hard choice, not looking for outright pace more like outright style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There will be squillions of Astras around in 5 years time, so don't expect much in resale. Civic isn't near as popular in Ireland.

Tho in the first 5 years the depreciation on any new car is bruuutal.

• Advertisement

I was talking to DGopel there. They have an offer on at the minute on 2006 Sporthatchs. Good price, he said that they are "ex-courtsey cars".

I think they where the cars used in that 3 day Opel test drive offer. Mileage appears highest but the price is good.

Would you buy ex rentals, thats what I am assuming that they are??

I like the Civic I do. Sporthatch looks the business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I would lean to the civic for reliability.

However, it is damn ugly, both the saloon & hatch. Fair play to honda for daring to be different, but god damn i hate the look of those cars.

Astra is a solid enough car, and the 3 door is a real looker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

kluivert wrote:
    I was talking to DGopel there. They have an offer on at the minute on 2006 Sporthatchs. Good price, he said that they are "ex-courtsey cars".

I think they where the cars used in that 3 day Opel test drive offer. Mileage appears highest but the price is good.

Would you buy ex rentals, thats what I am assuming that they are??

I like the Civic I do. Sporthatch looks the business though.
    No I wouldn't buy one of those ex-rentals....I'm sure they were all thrashed...I know cause I had one for the 3 days and drove the bollox out of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

had a new shaped astra , sold it a while back , no problems to report on it , not mad on opel dealers di , i went for a larger engine , always thing mid size cars should always a bigger engine.

would you not just buy an ex rental astra at auction . theres is plenty of 1.4 4 door in that silver blue colour knocking around.

personally if i was going for one i want the club edition which are harder to find but are there in the asuctions and much cheaper than dealers , you get a/c for a few quid extra.

Also I consider adding a nice set 17 inch replica wheels , it would really set the car off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Not mad about Opel garages. We found them unable to fix things which is a bad sign of a garage. I think the We've owned Opels and Hondas and the Honda will be more reliable and more fun than the Astra. That said I'm not a fan of the looks of either car. I think I'd go Golf or Focus myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Go for the Honda, Reliable, good dealer network, that bit more rare, resale value, well specced.

Astra looks well, but there are going to be a shed load around. Feel special and take the brainy choice and buy the Honda!

Waiting list on them though...

My mind is made up its Honda.

I always wanted a Honda.

Well I guess its time to start saving then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It is actually a hard choice because the Astra SportHatch is gorgeous. From what little experience I have of driving older model 1.4 Astra it's a lively little engine.

Honda couldn't pick a worse engine selection for this country if they tried. No 1.6 petrol & no diesel smaller than a 2.2...

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I don't think honda have a diesel engine smaller than a 2.2. I think they only have the one. It's the first one they've ever had in production cars, AFAIK. And it is a beast of an engine.

I think the Civic looks pretty good on the outside and on the inside. Plus more headroom in the backseat in the Civic. Good for tall people. Plus no-one beats Honda for reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The obvious choice for me is the Honda, fabulous looking car, will age well too and won't give trouble, the Opel on the other hand............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

In the vain of Top Gear, go for the Ford Focus.....

I think I would go with the Honda, although I do think the Opel is a very good looking 3 dr hatch. Herself has had 6 Vectras as rental cars for a month at a time over the last six months (long story), each one as un-memorable as the last one, that's the only thing about Opels.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big_G wrote:
    I don't think honda have a diesel engine smaller than a 2.2. I think they only have the one. It's the first one they've ever had in production cars, AFAIK. And it is a beast of an engine.

I think the Civic looks pretty good on the outside and on the inside. Plus more headroom in the backseat in the Civic. Good for tall people. Plus no-one beats Honda for reliability.

Honda had a 1.7 litre diesel engine available in the previous generation Civic from about 2004 but never sold it in Ireland. I don't think they offer this engine in the new generation Civic at all.

They also had a diesel engine in the Accord back in 1996/1997, it was a 2.0 turbo diesel Rover engine, again never available offically in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The 1.7 diesel was an isuzu block, just fitted for the UK market I think, not sure about anywhere else in Europe, but not here. Honda did a lot of reworking of that engine to make it quieter, more powerful and more reliable, but it's still not a Honda engine unlike their first 2.2.
    I'd go with the Honda no question, and I would NEVER choose a golf over a civic. (like for like that is). Get the new 3dr Civic. That'll be worth a few bob more in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I would have to go with the Civic. Honda are amazing cars and very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I know this is an old thread and I'm assuming the OP has gotten his car since, but I'd go for the Civic too. I like the look of both cars but I'd definately swing towards the Honda. Should be pretty fun with that 2.2 diesel too, its the same engine that's in the much larger Accord, and it is by no means slow in that!

Of course, the Type R civic is out now too...

*drool*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

Go for the honda, they are such a good car. I'm not mad about the new shape but I'm sure it will grow on me. Like said before, have a look at a price of a 2000 civic and astra, the depriciation is much more on the opel.

I've driven both of them and this new astra is so plastic inside, I loved the seats thou.

I like everything about the new civics interior, its a far better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Both are sluggish with 0-100km/h of around 14s. I'd be reluctant to pick either. If I had to, I'd go Civic. I'm starting to like the looks of it and the price is not any worse than the Astra. It will be more reliable and depreciate less

@OP, did you buy one yet?

Probably go with the civic myself altough the Astra is a very nice looking car.

Hondas reliability record is very good but don't forget these are both new models so it remains to be seen how reliable they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Civic without a doubt! I didn't like the 5 door hatch at first but it's a nice car to drive - the 1.4 is a decent enough engine. Saloon version has to be the only saloon car I'd consider (if I had bambino's), bar an e39 bmw. Civic interiors are sweet - everything feels more like a german-engineered car than a jap.

We have a new astra in stock - has an ecotek engine and sounds like it's missing when you accelerate, interior feels cheap and tacky. (Opels are just pieces of 5h1t - what can I say?!)

Advertisement