Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster Q's & A's

Options
  • 20-10-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously thinking of getting a hamster very soon and i have a few questions (as there doesn't seem to be a hamster care sheet here, although i will search the web shortly). I have looked after a lot of gerbils before and got on grand with them (but not kept them at home).

The only thing i'm worried about is that i live in Dublin but I'm from the west and go down maybe once a month on the train. Now, mostly my friend I live with could mind the hamster for the weekend but there will be the odd time I'd have to bring it home if she's not around or if it's longer than a weekend. Is it cruel to even contemplate bringing a hamster all that way on the train? Can you get suitable carrying cases for them? This should only be a very short term solution as i'm currently learning to drive and hope to have a car after Christmas.

I just feel maybe it's an awful thing to think about doing, even though it would be only once or twice. I'd like to hear from hamster owners about this and about any general info useful in looking after them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I had a hamster a few years ago, and had no bother travelling with him. We got a normal size cage from the pet shop and for travelling he had a small little cage/case.. hard to describe size wize- maybe the volume of a 2litre milk container?? I used to get the train to visit family in the country with him and he would travel in it (he had another cage there). I found he was a bit sensitive to noise but once the travel case was filled with his bedding he would wrap himself up in it for the whole journey. As long as hes not in the thing for hours on end he should be fine. He'll need a normal size cage if youre staying away tho. SO you could bring his normal cage too- you might look like a bit of a muppet with it on the train tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Yeah I would! No i would have another cage for him at the other end. Mentioned it to my aul one at the weekend and she wasn't too impressed with the thought of a rat-like thing in the house even though i tried to tell her he was gorgeous!

Anyway will think on it, thanks!

Advertisement