Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My positive experience with IBB ripwave

Options
  • 20-10-2006 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, I just got IBB ripwave at home in Limerick, just wanted to share my experience...

I bought a Sitecom wireless router (+ free usb 'dongle'). At €55 it was the cheapest in maplin.
    Maplin sales guy advised me that it might be v difficult to set up wireless Lan + IBB at home to allow me to share internet connection, but it turned out to be very easy. (plugged things in willy nilly, and bob was my uncle).

I looked on this board for advice first, all i got about IBB ripwave was very strongly critical, so I was preparing myself for hours of struggling with dns and dhcp and other scary acronyms. In fact i had no difficulty, and everything worked 1st time, and has stayed working since.

I think it's great. cheap & easy, no need for phone line, free installation. I'm only doing 'casual browsing' i.e. haven't tried to download any big files - so i don't know how fast the connection is.

For cheap, basic internet connection, I give it two thumbs up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mark1

Yes cheap and simple worked for me too.
    Problems only really arose when I wanted to do more than just that.
    ie. voip, download audio, video, play games on line etc.
    Then I got clearwire faster alright but the rest apart from audio still unusable or to slow

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Same here, no problems but the half meg connection is nigh on useless for on-line gaming:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Jeez, yaledo....roughly where in Limerick are you ?

I had Ripwave for nearly a year (there were no other options at the time) and the thing was woeful - regularly refused to send even tiny emails with no attachments!

I didn't criticise too much at the time, as I thought it might have been down to being on the very edge of the coverage map, but a friend of mine is right underneath the Clarion where the mast is and she gets about 44Kb download with regular dropouts.

If you're getting decent service with no dropouts, you must be the luckiest Ripwave user in Limerick!

ADDED TO POST: I've just checked the Ripwave coverage map on the IBB website, and it seems like they've moved the mast away from the Clarion......where I'm living (and where my friend is) are both WAY outside the new footprint.....that might explain things, but WHEN did this happen, and shouldn't IBB have told existing customers that they were going to end up with little or no coverage ?

Advertisement