Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is rooney a tad overrated??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo imo is a better player than Rooney.
    As for being over-rated?

He is the best player England have for them in an England shirt. You might say he hasn't scored for a while, which he hasn't, but in all fairness, he shouldn't have been at the World Cup, and even when he was played up front on his own, he was still their main threat.

He isn't United's best or most important player, but the media do make out like he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

PHB wrote:
    He is the best player England have for them in an England shirt.

On paper, Peter Crouch would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

[QUOTE=PHB

He isn't United's best or most important player, but the media do make out like he is.[/QUOTE]

When team depends on you then you are their most important player, Rooney with Utd is world class and not a bit underrated he is their best player and a joy to watch. His control and pasing ability are unatural, and my opinion of him is "podgy git with a unerring ability to get a shot in" For Utd he is worth the admission price alone to see him play.

Dunno what happens in international football he steps up and is good enough but seems to not gel with whatever mad england team the manager is playing so looks out of place.

I do have a nice running bet on him not scoring, for some reason i wont continue that on sunday....

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Yeah of course he's overated, just about every player in the Premiership is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Alot of BS in this thread.
    i know rooney is a very good player but he really isnt world class. heres some players i think are "world class" in a similarish position
    gerrard
    ballack
    kaka
    ronaldihno
    deco
    joe cole
    fabregas
    juninhio
    messi
    Wow, I'm shocked you actually consider Rooney worse than all of these players. If you put Henry on there you'd double the nember players on that list that might be better than Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Overrated. Some games he's anonymous, even against weak teams (sunderland end last season etc). He can't dribble, he's power, passion and vision but can be nullified by right tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

OTliddy wrote:
    Alot of BS in this thread.

the only thing thats made sence so far.

comparing him to ronaldo and fabregas? what the hell? how can u compare him with players that dont even play in the same position?

he's unique in that he's incomparable to pretty much any other player in his style and how he carry's himself on the pitch, the only similar player in english football that carry's himself in a similar way was gazza.

would he walk into any major team in europe though? it would depend on weather or not they want to build a team around him and alot of the major teams dont like to do that

he would best suit milans style of all the major european teams, but then the question is would u put him in at the expence of kaka?

i dont think he's overrated i just think he's overhyped, but sure thats nothing new when ur english

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

We mustn't forget that he's given essentially free license to do whatever he wants on the pitch. OK, this is simply because he's such a good player - and I won't deny that, of course - but his position isn't nearly as disciplined as anyone else on the United team. If Ronaldo, for example, had the same freedom he would eventually become devastatingly effective. Ronaldo > Rooney, technically IMO, so by that conclusion alone Rooney is overrated.

In any case-
    c m wrote:
    gerrard
    ballack
    kaka
    ronaldihno
    deco
    joe cole
    fabregas
    juninhio
    messi

-is taking the piss. Joe Cole is nowhere near Rooney's standard, Fabregas is a completely different (and less impressive) player, Messi is even more inconsistent than Rooney, Deco is without question a lesser player. And we can't forget that the remainder - Ronaldinho, Gerrard, Ballack, Kaka and Juninho - are in their mid- to late-20s, at the peak of their careers. I doubt Rooney will ever be as good a player as Ronaldinho or Kaka, but he could potentially give the others a run for their money.

As for now, leave the poor lad alone I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Jesus, there's some uninformed tripe written here.

Rooney is a class act and has been United's best player for quite some time now. He is going through a bad patch so far this season, although it's something he seems to be pulling out of as of late. As for him not getting on the scoresheet, it's the nature of his game to drop deep or to the wings and create chances for others. You only needed to have watched the match against Copenhagen on Wednesday to see that. He produced a man of the match performance without getting on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The question is not wether Rooney is a good player, he is. The question is, are english media overrating his performances and potential ability.

The english overrate themsleves time and time again, they are overrating Rooney.

Polodski has achieved more in football than Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Dempsey wrote:
    The question is not wether Rooney is a good player, he is. The question is, are english media overrating his performances and potential ability.
    I think Rooney lives up to his promise, it's the rest of the jokers in the England and United team that let him down.
    Dempsey wrote:
    The english overrate themsleves time and time again, they are overrating Rooney.
    Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Joe and Cashley Cole, etc are all overrated players at international level. Rooney bucks the trend though. He was absolutely magnificent in Euro 2004, while not as explosive in the World Cup, he was one of Englands best players. Once again though, Rooney was let down by under performing England team mates.
    Dempsey wrote:
    Polodski has achieved more in football than Rooney
    That's a silly statement. Podolski has had two good seasons at Cologne and had a solid (but not spectacular) World Cup. So like Rooney, he's achieved absolutely nothing in football yet.

Being one of Englands Best Players at the WC wouldn't have been hard

Polodski was key to Germany's 3rd place in the World Cup, Won best young player at the world cup, that sets him apart from Rooney.

That is honestly the most outrageous comment I've heard/read in a months. Nevermind awards etc. Rooney was just rushed back from a lenghtly injury, he was never going to be outstanding at the WC. Just watching Podoslki's and Rooney's all-round play(on a typical day, September was a bad month for Rooney, Podolski has had them too), you actually think Podoslki is better?

Rooney terrorises defenders into oblivion, conjures moments of magic from nothing and tracks back alot more than his pathetic team-mates.

How many times do you watch Podolski play?? I'd bet the WC and UCL highlights are about it.

Anyways, what I'm pointing out is that Polodski has had better achievements in the game than Rooney in a similar amount of time, yet Rooney is rated as Pele amongst the english media.

To answer this thread, Rooney is overrated by a mile

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote:
    How many times do you watch Podolski play?? I'd bet the WC and UCL highlights are about it.
    You'd be right. Based on that, he is a good player, but nowhere near oozes the class of Rooney. Rooney may or may not be over-rated, but threads like these make certainly err the case towards the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Honours-wise, Rooney has won just a League Cup i think. And Podolski has won a league with Koln but i believe this was the 2nd division ?
    But otherwise, i don't think there's enough evidence to make a good comparison as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ridiculous to be rating individuals based on what their team won when they're only 1/11th of a team.

Rooney is a brilliant player, but he doesnt play brilliantly every game.

Over-rated threads are such a load of cack. Over-rated by who for facks sake??? The media? Oh yeah, every journalist/pundit holds exactly the same opinion. Ballix.

99% of the journalists in england think that Rooney is Pele the 2nd, a player who hasnt scored at the highest level for club (UCL) in over 2 years. And dont try and make out that he isnt a striker.

I've seen some alright goals scored by him built up into sensational goals by english media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

OTliddy wrote:
    Rooney terrorises defenders into oblivion, conjures moments of magic from nothing and tracks back alot more than his pathetic team-mates.

his moments of magic are far to rare for my liking and he only terrorises bad defenders with the exception of france in euro 2004. but put him against milan and he'll die. as for tracking back its commendavle but he shouldnt do it hes a forward and it weakens the team as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

c m wrote:
    his moments of magic are far to rare for my liking and he only terrorises bad defenders with the exception of france in euro 2004. but put him against milan and he'll die. as for tracking back its commendavle but he shouldnt do it hes a forward and it weakens the team as a whole.

You have this obsession with Milan, how many times has Rooney played against them? You're basing it on just one time we played them....and im sure that the defence were worried about playing him!

Please stick to the title of the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No doubt he's got loads of talent but yeah he's totally overrated.

No CL goals for a couple of years now, poor performance at the last WC(don't give a sh*t if he was coming back from injury....see Ronaldo circa Japorea 2002).

He's good but totally overrated by the English media.

Remember that whole 'The New Pele' thing???....laughable.

the simple reason he's overrated so much is that he's a type of player England don't produce very often, i.e. a flair player.

Englands best players are usually of the Gerrard/Lampard type who despite being brilliant are quite direct players and sometimes could be accused of being one or maybe just two dimensional. What sets rooney apart from these is that when he gets the ball he's got more options then these players as he's capable of more things. This is why the English media wet their pants over him.

To the nay-sayers, imagine if C.Ronaldo or Febregas were British????

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Sure look at Ronaldinho, he's been useless for the best part of a year. Yet some people think he's the best player in the world because he dances around the ball.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Watch Barca slip this year without Eto and you'll see who is really important to that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

gosplan wrote:
    Couldn't agree with this more.

Watch Barca slip this year without Eto and you'll see who is really important to that team.

Quite evident last night against Real and in CL game against Chelsea. He was nowhere to be seen at the world cup but I generally don't rate him on his performences with Brazil as he never seems to be consistent with them unlike Barca.

I think there are quite a few Journalists that don't over-hype Rooney in England and their opinions are relitively grounded but it's the ones (namely red-top sensationalists) that do say he is the best in the world, tag everyone else in their profession with the same brush as they are generally the headlines that are picked up. Also, wasn't it Pele himself who made the comparission to Rooney.

I think undoubteldy he is a massive massive talent and I think the criticism he is getting at the moment is as a result of his stop start past 6 months with Injuries and suspensions. Also, united are palying a different brand of football now that Ruud has left and partnering Saha must, and will, take time for Rooney to adjust to. One point that I always note with Rooney is that, when I watch him ( not a united fan), I never get frustrated with what he does or how he plays, unlike players like Ronaldo, Gerrard and even Henry occasionaly. There are few (attacking) players around that are like this. I do believe though he is one of a few naturally gifted players around with the POTENTIAL of being World class as in Ronaldo at Barca, Keane at United circa 1999 and Zidanes first 4 or so years at real.

I think maybe more so the problem of Rooney being over-rated is that the term world class is over used and should be used very sparingly when describing players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

well anything about rooney being a totally honest player goes out the window with yesterdays dive v potsmouth. its not unprecendented either. remember against arsenal to lose their 50 match unbeaten run?? so enough of your holier than thou bull about ronaldo's diving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Dempsey wrote:

Anyways, what I'm pointing out is that Polodski has had better achievements in the game than Rooney in a similar amount of time, yet Rooney is rated as Pele amongst the english media.

To answer this thread, Rooney is overrated by a mile

but for all you know it could be vice versa in the german media regarding polodski

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads Rooney is overrated. If he hasnt performed on the highest stage in over 2 yaers then he is not the player he is made out to be. Its very very simple.

Potential means absolutely nothing. Its what you do on the pitch that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kingp35 wrote:
    Lads Rooney is overrated. If he hasnt performed on the highest stage in over 2 yaers then he is not the player he is made out to be.
    I don't think you can rely on Champion's League form to form your opinion of him, the team as a whole has played **** in Europe for the last two years. It's not just Rooney, all players have underperformed, players who have long since proven themselves included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well yes Rooney is hugely over rated. I think he is a good player with huge potential, but potential is nothing unless its fulfilled. He hasn't played well for the last 2 years on the biggest stages. Its no point defending this, this is a player who has been compared to Pele etc... Yes thats the media but thats the hype surrounding him, so how does he compare to Pele? Doesn't even seem fit to polish the great mans boots.

Podolski on the other hand I wouldn't regard as over rated. The reason being teh way the media in Germany handle it. Yes in Germany he is the number one media boy and sponsored footballer. He had a huge adidas drive pre world cup and is plastered on bill boards from munich to berlin. The difference is when the english media got Rooney they kept telling the world how they had the next Pele. The German media have kept the Podolski promotion within their own boundaries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney, overratted - yes!

He's not a fantastic player - hell no!

Football cant be fully described in facts and figures, but my overall opinion ratings on the guy is fairly good. The English press protray him as a 9.9 out a ten player which he's not and more than likely never will be.
    Strength   9.3
    Flair      8.2
    Stamina    8.0
    Passing    7.7
    Heading    8.0
    Shooting   8.4
    TeamPlay   9.0
    Ability    8.7
    [B]OVERALL    8.4[/B]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I should mention this in here but Dunphy reckons he's better than George Best (who he played with)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eirebhoy wrote:
    I should mention this in here but Dunphy reckons he's better than George Best (who he played with)...

he'd need to do alot rather soon to even make me consider that argument...att this moment in time thats complete rubbish. Dunphy has lost it a little again, especially with the whole "half the United squad is rubbish" and "Mourinho & Chelsea should be thrown out of Champions League" comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

iregk wrote:
    Podolski on the other hand I wouldn't regard as over rated. The reason being teh way the media in Germany handle it. Yes in Germany he is the number one media boy and sponsored footballer. He had a huge adidas drive pre world cup and is plastered on bill boards from munich to berlin. The difference is when the english media got Rooney they kept telling the world how they had the next Pele. The German media have kept the Podolski promotion within their own boundaries!
    So do follow the German Sports media much?
    eirebhoy wrote:
    The same Dunphy that slated Ferguson when he signed Saha because he wasn't good enough to pull on a Utd. jersey but now he thinks he's a fabulous player and one of the few in the current team that's good enough to wear the jersey?
    Dunphy's a clown.

And yes, Rooney is over rated....by the English media. Every English player is. It's just a fact of life really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

BaZmO* wrote:
    So do follow the German Sports media much?

I'm going to assume you ment so do i follow the german sports media. My response would be yes, considering I used to live over there and had a season ticket for Eintracht Frankfurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

iregk wrote:
    I'm going to assume you ment so do i follow the german sports media. My response would be yes, considering I used to live over there and had a season ticket for Eintracht Frankfurt.
    Touché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think every country has these players, where, if you live there, you get inundated by them, Germany->podolski, Argentina->Messi and so on, just as we're exposed to the premier league, for us it's Rooney.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:

Yeah but he only said that because Roy Keane told him.....and Roy Keane was right....ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!

Advertisement