Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Poor Taste - IBB's latest advertising stunt

Options
  • 20-10-2006 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

IBB's latest stunt is to advertise "The Perfect Girlfriend in a Box".

They're not sexist or anything - they also have "The Perfect Boyfriend in a Box".

It's pretty demeaning and offensive, IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

but then they do "try" to balance it out with the boyfriend in a box

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Alot cheaper than the real thing at least..can't argue with that:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Foxwood wrote:
    It's pretty demeaning and offensive, IMO.

your opinion is silly though who is this demeaning towards??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

mayordenis wrote:
    your opinion is silly though who is this demeaning towards??
    If you really don't undertsand why the concept of selling a person (actually renting, in IBBs case) is demeaning, then there's not much hope for you.

It has been pointed out to me that the ad actually means that Ripwave is for totally sad losers who can't make friends in the real world, and have to pay for companionship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

or it could hint at a "Low Maintenance" relationship , however their customer service is in very bad taste I will concede.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dude, you've obviously been living in either a) a Benedictine Monastery or b) your folks house for the past 30 years if you find *that* offensive.

Take a peek outside your door and look at the state of our Hospitals and Schools. Now that's offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Foxwood wrote:
    If you really don't undertsand why the concept of selling a person (actually renting, in IBBs case) is demeaning, then there's not much hope for you.

It has been pointed out to me that the ad actually means that Ripwave is for totally sad losers who can't make friends in the real world, and have to pay for companionship.

Is it still demeaning if it's true?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Dude, you've obviously been living in either a) a Benedictine Monastery or b) your folks house for the past 30 years if you find *that* offensive.

Take a peek outside your door and look at the state of our Hospitals and Schools. Now that's offensive.

Well put , ive seen worse adverts than that and no one has even battered an eye lid .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dellas wrote:
    Well put , ive seen worse adverts than that and no one has even battered an eye lid .

Like when a full 40 ft poster of that Benetton baby ad appeared right beside my local boozer overshadowing the beer garden .

Putting an entire pub full of thirsty Paddies off their pints during a hot summer in London is in dreadful taste .

Dellas wrote:
    You've seen worse, so that's okay then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You're on the internet, and that is what ofends you? Could you actually explain what part of it you find offensive?

Oh, and my pet fox finds your name offensive. He had an accident with some barbed wire, and, well, lets just say he can't have little baby foxes. Have you no shame? The only literate fox on boards (four legged variety) and he'll probably never log on again. :(

Lol, that girlfriend in a box just made me laugh. Started talking on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

What's the big deal? I found it funny.

Both of them.

Not in an objective way, just an unusual way to promote a broadband service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dellas wrote:

Battering eyelids is definitely not recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Where's the button to give her bigger tits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

OP: I know your post is about bad taste etc and althought I dont agree with you, i suppose for someone who could be easily offended I understand your posistion. To be Fiar though, IBB Advertising and Marketing have just PWND you, you have just created a thread about the advert and now many people on the boards have read it, will check it out and some may even go out and buy, purchase the product. So Slaes job is done, it comes down to the basics of SEX SELLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Maybe the ad hit too close to the mark for Foxwood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You know you're now responsible for a few hundred more people seeing this ad? I love it just emailed it to all my mates - male and female I might add!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

OR - is this a ploy from Irish Broadband to market their marketing????
    Bit of reverse psychology perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yup, me too. Think it's quite funny... the girl is hot too :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Foxwood wrote:

right "totally sad losers" is the most ridiculous collection of words of all time, you need to look in the mirror and see who's the real totally sad loser.
    i can't see something as the demeaning without somebody actually being demeaned
    it doesn't make any sense,
    you don't make any sense.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    You've seen worse, so that's okay then?

To be honest mate I come from a really liberal back ground. My father would be considered as coloured although Im more of a Med appearance. I dont get easily offended by much unless it really is sick or offensive. I think the Two Ronnies doing a Indian sketch and browning their faces is very funny and my Dad finds it really funny too and he should be the one offended!!! I can laugh at myself and others too as long as its not malicious. People should chill a bit and I have to say 99% of Irish I met are a great laugh and very liberal . I dont care if your Black,blue,gay or lesbian or whatever. If you have a brain and are a decent person then I get on with anyone.

Sometimes people are ultra sensitive and thats not good. All this politically correct stuff should be banned.

Foxwood do you find page 3 in the Sun offensive????

Sex does sell and the IBB ad is far from offensive. On the other hand if Foxwood finds it offensive then as a fellow human being he is entitled to his opinion and id respect him for his own views.

Dellas wrote:
    Foxwood do you find page 3 in the Sun offensive????

Sex does sell and the IBB ad is far from offensive. On the other hand if Foxwood finds it offensive then as a fellow human being he is entitled to his opinion and id respect him for his own views.
    I don't find sex offensive. I do find slavery offensive, and I find sexual slavery offensive. Human trafficing is a relatively recent phenomenon in Ireland but a real one, none the less.

I can see the humour in "Girlfriend in a box", but it still cuts just a bit close to a subject that, apparently, people haven't really gotten their heads around.

Yeah but it said ''Boyfriend'' in a box aswell so it wasnt sexist and I dont see the link to slavery. Which by the way I totally agree with you its rife in this country and needs to be clamped down on by the government. I will tell you something youve seen nothing yet!! If Bulgaria and Romania are allowed free access to Ireland from January Ireland wont know whats hit it . The time bomb is ticking. There is a huge Mafia in those countries and its very very dangerous.

Anyway I take your issues on board but I really personally dont see the link. If it had have said just ''Girlfriend'' in a box then I might have seen a bit more to your way on things.

McDonalds had a advert for a burger saying ''Its no big girls blouse'' many gays could have taken offense to that but I have a few gay mates and they just laughed it off.

Anyay as one poster said IBB have got good advertising on this one as it has got people talking and debating so they achieved their coal.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Where's the button to give her bigger tits?

Or for the girls wheres the button to give him a bigger wang !!! You musnt be sexist Kaizersoze!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dellas wrote:
    Or for the girls wheres the button to give him a bigger wang !!! You musnt be sexist Kaizersoze!!!:)
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

This reminds me of when people got up on their high horses about the Zelda ad years ago with the tagline "Will you get the girl... or play like one..."

Get lives people!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Foxwood, i think you should stay in your bubble with net nanny installed on your pc, if you find that sort of thing offensive, be prepared for alot worse... have ya enough cotton wool in there? :p

Advertisement