Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random poster or EA employee speaks out?

Options
  • 20-10-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=1333590&sls=2

Hi guys. My name is Nicholas and I used to be a previous employee for EA [in all honesty]. There are a few things I wish to say about EA's marketing strategy. Please note the following:

1. I was fired from EA in an attempt to add the many features that were requested by the community. I was labeled a nuisance in an attempt to voice the opinions of the community by attempting to modify code and features.

2. After being fired, EA denounced my name and blacklisted me. Following this occurence, I had requested that Colin Clarke be removed from his community management position.

3. BF2142 is indeed a simple modifcation for BF2. In my truthful opinion, a price of $50 for this product is almost illegal, accept there are no laws against charging high prices for any object unless the object was lied about, or presented nontruthfully.

4. BF2142 will end up just as popular as Special Forces.

5. I highly recommend saving your money until the price drops to $29.99 as the extra $20.00+ of the normal price being charged is to purchase the new advertising technology. [Woops: Did I give out a marketing secret?]

Thank you for your time and spend wisely.

Nicholas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Whether he was an employee of EA or not he does raise some pretty good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

not an employee. no single programmer has the right, or access to "add" features to a game on a whim. you can suggest them to a superior, but then it's discussed as part of a team, and if it's good it's implemented by a team, not just you alone.

this is just some fanboy moaning about EA

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

also pretty unlikely is his prediction that bf2142 will end up as popular as special forces...and also his statement that its just a 'simple mod'....no it aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

AND the fact that, if it were true (which I doubt 100%), then he would be subject to a lawsuit because of breaching a privacy agreement or whatever its called that he would have signed and agreed to when starting work with EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

..but then it's discussed as part of a team, and if it's good it's implemented by a team, not just you alone.
    Too much of a generalisation. It varies from team to team and most features don't need a team but rather a single programmer to implement. Other programmers will then review the implementation.
    KoKane wrote:
    AND the fact that, if it were true (which I doubt 100%), then he would be subject to a lawsuit because of breaching a privacy agreement or whatever its called that he would have signed and agreed to when starting work with EA.
    Ndas vary and very few of them have clauses that are in effect once an emplyee leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DannyD wrote:
    Too much of a generalisation. It varies from team to team and most features don't need a team but rather a single programmer to implement. Other programmers will then review the implementation

read this guys point though:
    1. I was fired from EA in an attempt to add the many features that were requested by the community. I was labeled a nuisance in an attempt to voice the opinions of the community by attempting to modify code and features.

he wanted to add "many" features, requested by the "community". he also attempted to modify code.

now i've only ever worked on a mod team, but doing that is surely the most ridiculous thing for a programmer to do? you're an employee, not some rogue trooper making the game yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

He probably just had bad time keeping ;)

Advertisement