Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Double Doors: hanging options

Options
  • 20-10-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, we are looking to replace our sitting room/dining room dividing doors.
    Is it possible to hang these so that they both open in the same direction, with the second door hung off the first?
    Has anyone seen that or has any ideas on it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Do you mean like concertina doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im not sure, what we want is for one door to fold back onto the other door, with the posibility of that "other" door also folding back against (or as close as it can) the wall..
    Is that a concertina door?

<edit>
    bi-fold doors apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

GreeBo wrote:
    Im not sure, what we want is for one door to fold back onto the other door, with the posibility of that "other" door also folding back against (or as close as it can) the wall..
    Is that a concertina door?

<edit>
    bi-fold doors apparently!

Geebo
    Sister had hole put in dividing wall last year.€8k. They wanted another €2.8k to €3k to have 2 double doors "specially" made and hung. I got them in Texas Homebase ( or Woodies ??..one of them type ,but nearly sure Texas). Two double doors(pine, panelled), each set prehinged together, with flush hinges. Each set of two = standard single door size. Cost was either €50..or €100 per set of two, i think €50. Sorry, I can't remenber cost exactly, I can't remember if I regarded a set of doors as one or two doors for price comparison.
    She wanted doors hung in centre of opening ( centre line on brickwork), so to get the doors to turn 'round the corner when in open position (and not jut into room at right angles), the centre point of hinges had to be "extended". After having hinges welded to form the required design..I found exactly required hinge in heavy brass in shop opposite "Dodds" of Mary Street....used to be "Modern plywood and veneer company". Cost € 16 each.
    Hope this helps
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I think the type of Hinge op is talking about is a Parlment hinge, they are designed to let a door fold around a reveal etc..but stick out a bit on one side of the door

You might be better off using 5" Brass Butts to hang the two doors as they are stronger than 4". You will need to fit bolts to the first door, either surface brass or flush bolts, flush bolts are neater but need to be sunk into the edge of the door.
    The other door can be hung off that then...not an easy job for DIY, but doable..
    Ideally the doors should be rebated in the middle for a better finish
    Good luck with the job...

Geebo
    Sister had hole put in dividing wall last year.€8k. They wanted another €2.8k to €3k to have 2 double doors "specially" made and hung. I got them in Texas Homebase ( or Woodies ??..one of them type ,but nearly sure Texas). Two double doors(pine, panelled), each set prehinged together, with flush hinges. Each set of two = standard single door size. Cost was either €50..or €100 per set of two, i think €50. Sorry, I can't remenber cost exactly, I can't remember if I regarded a set of doors as one or two doors for price comparison.
    She wanted doors hung in centre of opening ( centre line on brickwork), so to get the doors to turn 'round the corner when in open position (and not jut into room at right angles), the centre point of hinges had to be "extended". After having hinges welded to form the required design..I found exactly required hinge in heavy brass in shop opposite "Dodds" of Mary Street....used to be "Modern plywood and veneer company". Cost € 16 each.
    Hope this helps

Hotwheels wrote:
    I think the type of Hinge op is talking about is a Parlment hinge, they are designed to let a door fold around a reveal etc..but stick out a bit on one side of the door

You might be better off using 5" Brass Butts to hang the two doors as they are stronger than 4". You will need to fit bolts to the first door, either surface brass or flush bolts, flush bolts are neater but need to be sunk into the edge of the door.
    The other door can be hung off that then...not an easy job for DIY, but doable..
    Ideally the doors should be rebated in the middle for a better finish
    Good luck with the job...

Hi Hotwheels
    Yep ! That's the hinge ...Just to clarify one point, each set of doors came prehinged / assembled. They used 3 large flush hinges( with nylon inserts)
    I was a little sceptical about flush hinges for doors of that size / weight, but as it was designed I decided to use as bought, knowing possibly have to replace later. But it's been ok...so far
    t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Well done tapest...
    The Hinges should last a good few years, although real solid brass is yer only man...post a few pix of the job if ya can, they sound nice...:)

Hotwheels wrote:
    Well done tapest...
    The Hinges should last a good few years, although real solid brass is yer only man...post a few pix of the job if ya can, they sound nice...:)

Apologies for poor lights conditions / photos.
    Must remember to finish off ...no door stops, etc......
    Must remember to change date on camera....
    Must remember to.......?????
    It's that age thing again....

Kadman, Avert your eyes, And before you offer ways of improving (aside:his way of criticising nicely) remember there are only 21 lines on foolscap paper...and writers cramp will be solely your fault lol

Seriously, She can't decide on locks. She won't allow me to make one door slave and master. Wants to be able to open either door from either side. Why ?...You may well ask. But that's the sis.
    t

Advertisement