Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt Broadband and Linksys WAG54G

Options
  • 20-10-2006 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Has anyone had any luck getting Bt and this modem to work together? I've been working on it for about two days and I'm starting to get stumped. I even resorted to both companies' tech support lines and after an hour of verifying the configuration I had already done both eventually told me that Bt just doesn't support this device. I've searched the forums here and I can't find anything that might help me. Any help anyone could give me on this would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

moynihan wrote:
    Has anyone had any luck getting Bt and this modem to work together? I've been working on it for about two days and I'm starting to get stumped. I even resorted to both companies' tech support lines and after an hour of verifying the configuration I had already done both eventually told me that Bt just doesn't support this device. I've searched the forums here and I can't find anything that might help me. Any help anyone could give me on this would be greatly appreciated

There should be no reason why it will not work with BT. In fairness to BT they and other isps will only support the modem/router that they supply.

Have you considered that the wag54g might be faulty? What exactly have you done so far to try and get it to work? Is it syncing at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i had major problems trying to get my esat and belkin router working too, couldnt ping it when it was connected or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I have one, here's the main setup page
    settingsjz0.jpg
    just stick in yer username@iolbb
    DDNS disabled
    NAT enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I got around a similar problem with Imagine and the same router by changing the modem (which was actually originally supplied to me by BT) to bridging mode and logging in on the linksys router rather than trying to dhcp on. This worked, but only after i made sure there were no conflicting addresses on the network and disabled vmware virtual nics on my pc.

shoegirl wrote:
    I got around a similar problem with Imagine and the same router by changing the modem (which was actually originally supplied to me by BT) to bridging mode and logging in on the linksys router rather than trying to dhcp on. This worked, but only after i made sure there were no conflicting addresses on the network and disabled vmware virtual nics on my pc.

The wag54g is a combined modem/router so it should not be necessary to do any of that stuff it should connect easily with the settings shown above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately I'm still having trouble. @dub45 I had considered that the router could be faulty, I did buy it as clearance stock from peats for twenty euro, however everything else works; It works fine as a wired switch and I've been able to connect to it from a laptop and a psp, so if it is faulty it's very specifically the modem that doesn't work. This led me to believe it is a configuration issue rather than a hardware one.

I have exactly the same configuration as Fabritzo posted above.

The only other information I have is that the dsl light and internet light are both on but the internet light is red and when I attempt to force a connection from the Status tab on the router it tells me it can't connect to the PPoE server(I've checked my username and password and they're definitely correct).

Cheers for the help so far guys.

moynihan wrote:
    Thanks for the responses guys, unfortunately I'm still having trouble. @dub45 I had considered that the router could be faulty, I did buy it as clearance stock from peats for twenty euro, however everything else works; It works fine as a wired switch and I've been able to connect to it from a laptop and a psp, so if it is faulty it's very specifically the modem that doesn't work. This led me to believe it is a configuration issue rather than a hardware one.

I have exactly the same configuration as Fabritzo posted above.

The only other information I have is that the dsl light and internet light are both on but the internet light is red and when I attempt to force a connection from the Status tab on the router it tells me it can't connect to the PPoE server(I've checked my username and password and they're definitely correct).

Cheers for the help so far guys.

Peats dont sell of stuff like the wag54g for 20 euros for no reason! Is there any possibility of trying the wag54g on a friends bb line?

Might be worth upgrading the firmware on the wag54g too.

Yea I was takin a bit of a chance at that price, but to be honest I bought two of them at that price. They were clearance items sold without instructions and power supplies. I sourced power supplies and they've been doing sterling work as wireless/wired routers for months, but the other day my Zyxel piece of sh!t which I have hated from the day it arriveds in my house finally crapped out after periodically dying for about 3 months so I tried to configure my Linksys to replace it and still fulfill its old function. I had tried to configure both routers on BT before when I first bought them and they both exhibitted exactly the same symptoms as now, which leads me to believe neither is faulty, since they both do everything else (wireless and wired routing) perfectly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

moynihan wrote:
    I had tried to configure both routers on BT before when I first bought them and they both exhibitted exactly the same symptoms as now, which leads me to believe neither is faulty, since they both do everything else (wireless and wired routing) perfectly....
    You bought two modems on clearance that have never worked on a DSL line that you know to be good, and you assume that they're not faulty? I have a bridge you might be interested in....

The modem side of the gear could be fubarred without affecting the switch/wireless side. It's unlikely, but it's far more likely to be a problem with the modems than with your line, as you know that the line was working when you couldn't get these boxes working.

The line is still working fine, just the supplied modem that's dead. If you'd read the rest of the thread youu'd see that both units see the adsl line fine just have trouble logging into the PPoE server. That's about as likely to be a (recurring) harware problem as me buyin the bridge you obviously got lumbered with ;)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Do your WAG54g devices have a power (rocker) switch at the back ? They came in two flavours - the first batch didn't have rocker switches and were very very very flaky (had one). The second revision came with a power switch and was generally more solid but still were tempermental.

I presume you upgraded the firmware ?

Got the one with the rocker switch.
    Aint been able to get the firmware upgraded yet becuase since my bt supplied modem died I've had no internet access at home, only in work and dont get much of a chance to search for the update files when i should be workin. Gonna try and grab an update today when the boss is out of the office.

Advertisement