Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does MSIE hate Transparency background images?

Options
  • 20-10-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

It really bugs me that this bug is till not properly fixed in Internet Explorer. I mean, everything is perfect in Opera, Firefox, and old versions of Netscape...

Why, oh why, Bill, can you not make a browser that still works properly?

So, from a web designers point of view, is there something I am missing in order to be rid of those horrible grey boxes accompanying some of my images?

:mad:

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I am not a web designer but I do know the problem is in IE6 itself simply not supporting that (though I recall once reading about some hack but its not ideal).

IE7 which was just released yesterday now supports alpha transparency properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Well, its about time then! I thought perhaps, since I used Photoshop to make tem transparent (didn't mention that previously!), that perhaps there was something I could do within Photoshop to help that...

I mean, with all the websites out there, surely there must be a fix for IE and transparent background images...

S.

By the way, the site is www.mckennaelectronics.com if you want to see what I mean. It comes up as it was 'designed' to in Firefox and others... just not IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No straight fix for IE6 as it is very old technology wise & has poor standards support however like I said there is some elaborate hack that gives a similar effect I once recall reading in a discussion about IE6 + IE7 but I do not know off hand the details, Google will probably reveal the details.

As for the website I cannot see the difference as this machine is running IE7 which replaces IE6 and Firefox as all other browsers of note except IE6 support alpha transparency in PNG's I cannot see the issue on that site but I know what it looks like from memory & as you describe those crappy grey backgrounds.

Thanks.

I have found a couple of 'hack' sources on the net, but I can't get any of them to work... yet.

Another elaborate way I found is to use the gif standard in Photoshop -> have a read here:
    http://www.planetrenders.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676

I will try it over the weekend. getting too tired to do so now.

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement