Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd vs Pool (Hopefully scores inc)

• 20-10-2006 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

So does Fergie go all out attack and try and beat them in a high scoring thriller or play conservatively and try and scrape a 1-0.

With Rooney coming back to form and Saha proving a handful hopefully he will go for it, Liverpools defence has proved to be their weak link this season so I would go for them and play an uptempo game.

I would play
    VDS
    GN
    RF
    NV
    PE(GH not fit enough)

CR
    PS
    MC
    RG

WR
    LS

Put our house on Scholes to score, nearly always scores a few in a row after a barren spell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My predictions - 2-0 to the Reds (Kuyt and Gerrard) and 3 bannings stemming from this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I'll bet that this thread will be locked by noon on Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A dour game. Nil all or one nil either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

@super_furry: l'pool are 3/1 to win if ur a betting man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

liverpool to put 11 behind the ball and try and scrape it, united however to win 2-0. rooney to hit both, though i fancy scholes to hit top scoring form now over the next few weeks. god, i love these games, what the premierhsip is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

United to score at least twice, but not nessecarily win. Sissoko to get sent off.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread will be more exciting than the game.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Hyypia-Risse
    Sissoko
    Gerrard---Alonso---Aurelio (maybe Zenden)
    Kuyt--Bellamy (maybe Crouch)

Prefere to see Crouch start this game myself.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I think Liverpool could just sneak this game...1-0 for me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

this wont be a high scorer. these type of big games lately havnt been. Id say United will take this one though. 1 or 2 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Oooh can't wait for this Sunday, there's an even bigger game happening in Spain...

I'd love to see Bellamy score the winner but I think Man U with their home advantage will shade this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Fergie really wants to win this one, and isn't fearful of Liverpool, he will put out the best attacking team of

VDS
    Neville-Rio-Vidic-Heinze
    Ronaldo-Carrick-Scholes-Giggs
    Rooney-Saha

If we put out that team there's no doubt in our mind we'll score.
    Liverpools form this season has been poor, but form isn't really important in this game, it's just about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    If Fergie really wants to win this one
    Listen to yourself..:)

Bad news - Referee is Gra!*:eek:am Poll.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why does Poll get all the big games.

Tight game, can't see Utd not scoring, so a 1-0 Utd win, 1-1 draw or a 2-1 Liverpool win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Would be great to see a midfield partnership of Carrick and Scholes. Hopefully Ferguson is as naive as most of the manc supporters. I know he's good for a goal, but when Hargreaves comes in January, that's the last we'll see of Scholes in big games.

I'd also like to see Evra get another roasting from Gerrard, but presumably Heinze will get in if he's anywhere near right.

What United have been doing very well this season is getting the wins despite playing badly. But when they came up against Arsenal they were outclassed. Liverpool are miles better in the middle of the field, but whether that will convert into more clearcut chances is another thing.

Despite being the home team, United will be restricted to playing on the break - but that will suit them as Ronaldo, Rooney and Saha will be very dangerous.

Liverpool should play Bellamy and Kuyt up front, and Carrager and Agger at the back - however with Reina being poxy bad at crosses recently perhaps Hyypia and/or Crouch will play to add some height when United have set plays close to goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Utd havent really been tested this season...apart from Arsenal, who they lost against. Regardless of that they go into this game with alot more confidence than Liverpool. I expect big performances from Giggs, Scholes & Rooney.

Liverpool really need to win this game as they are already 8 points behind. However, even if they lose, I still dont think winning the title is beyond them. Look at their next 14 fixtures...

HOME - Villa, Reading, Manchester City, Portsmouth, Fulham, Watford, and Bolton at home,

AWAY - Arsenal, Middlesboro, Wigan, Charlton, Blackburn, Tottenham and Watford

I think they will seriously close the gap during this period.

My prediction - 2-1 to Liverpool. Gerrard, Kuyt & Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's what I'm banking on. United have had a amazingly easy start to the season and have looked shakey everytime they've been tested. Liverpool on the otherhand look like they're just waiting for something to kickstart their season and beating United at Old Trafford could really provide the same boost that it did Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'll be happy if Liverpool manage a draw here. Yes on paper the Liverpool midfield is stronger than UTD's, the defense is basically the same and our frontline is much improved over last year, but teams are being let cross the ball into the pool box far too easily, they ain't getting closed down by the wide midfield players, and pool keep conceding goals from these positions. A draw probably, a UTD win perhaps, or a Pool win unlikely. I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Going on manager comments and recent form, I think United will go out attacking and initially Liverpool will try the auld hold-and-sneak-a-winner tactic. However, I think order will be lost, hopefully resulting in a 4++ goal good game. Rooney and Gerrard will be on top of their game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'll be happy if Liverpool manage a draw here. Yes on paper the Liverpool midfield is stronger than UTD's, the defense is basically the same and our frontline is much improved over last year, but teams are being let cross the ball into the pool box far too easily, they ain't getting closed down by the wide midfield players, and pool keep conceding goals from these positions. A draw probably, a UTD win perhaps, or a Pool win unlikely. I think :)

Liverpool and Utd defensive are about the same?!?!

Finnan, Carragher, Hypia, Agger, Risse , Warnock, Aurelio...wonder how many of them would get into the utd team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Tusky wrote:

Finnan, Carragher, Hypia, Agger, Risse , Warnock, Aurelio...wonder how many of them would get into the utd team...

"the defense is basically the same and our frontline is much improved over last year". By that I meant Liverpools defense is basically the same as last years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Tusky wrote:

probably the lot of them appart from warnock and finnan. aurelio isnt exclusively a left back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Reina
    finnan-carra-agger-risse
    gerrard-sissoko-alonso-aurelio
    kuyt - bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im tempting faith here but I can see Liverpool playing their usual tight game and United wont be able to break them down. 0-0 or at most one goal between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

liverpool 7-0

gonna walk it,

seriously i think liverpool have to win this game for more than just the points the confidence is a big thing, i'm feeling the reds for 2-0.

Reina
    finnan carra agger warnock
    gerrard alonso sissoko risse
    kuyt fowler

thats the team i'd like to see and that we have no hope of seeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I'd like to see Garcia, frustrating as he is he is probably the most likely to pull something extraordinary out and is a big game player. This being one of the biggest games in the domestic calendar ,one would hope that he is up for it.

Garcia if he started would proberly end up on the left side which is not good as he will have to deal with Ronaldo. Actually with that in mind Warnock might be good idea for LB with Riise on the wing. Garcia would be best playing for striker but that means only one up front which would be dissapointing as Liverpool need 3 points.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

el rabitos wrote:
    probably the lot of them appart from warnock and finnan.
    Your saying Finnan would not get in the united squad you must be joking who is going to hold him out Neville haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

................VDS..................

G.N.........Rio.....Vidic......Heinze (or Evera if Heinze is still out)

..............Carrick................

Ron.......Scholes...........Giggs
    ...............Rooney...........
    ..........................Saha...

Thats what it probally will be, if it was me I'd take Rio out & stick Vidic there instead & play Heinze as the other CB & have Evera as the RB. Rio is to **** for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Your saying Finnan would not get in the united squad you must be joking who is going to hold him out Neville haha.

haha...yeah i think neville is better. hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

tdv wrote:
    ................VDS..................

G.N.........Rio.....Vidic......Heinze (or Evera if Heinze is still out)

..............Carrick................

Ron.......Scholes...........Giggs
    ...............Rooney...........
    ..........................Saha...

Thats what it probally will be, if it was me I'd take Rio out & stick Vidic there instead & play Heinze as the other CB & have Evera as the RB. Rio is to **** for my liking.

Carrick isn't very effective as a DM imo, he doesn't get stuck in enough to break down play, I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Alex drops him to the bench like he did against Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

irish1 wrote:
    Carrick isn't very effective as a DM imo, he doesn't get stuck in enough to break down play, I wouldn't be surprised if Sir Alex drops him to the bench like he did against Arsenal.

Yeah I'd agree Carrick is nothing special but who are you going to put in there O'shea? Either that or you change the system & 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 watever you want to call it is are best at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

tdv wrote:
    Yeah I'd agree Carrick is nothing special but who are you going to put in there O'shea? Either that or you change the system & 4-1-3-2 or 4-4-2 watever you want to call it is are best at the moment.
    Well I don't rate O'Shea as a DM either but I suppose he can get stuck in a bit more, didn't he play in that position against Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bah don't have a clue how this one is going to pan out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

gah, just lost a big **** off post.

In conclusion, hopefully Fergie will stick to 4-4-2, and not swap to a 4-3-3 like he did vs. Arsenal, cause I want to see Liverpool's defense, apparently as good as United's, go up against United in full flow.

Some people say that football is about a team winning their individual battle against their opposing player, I look forward to these

Ronaldo vs. Aurielo
    Giggs vs. Finnan
    Saha vs. Hypia
    Rooney vs. Carragher
    Scholes vs. Sissisko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PHB wrote:
    gah, just lost a big **** off post.
    Phew! :)
    Some people say that football is about a team winning their individual battle against their opposing player, I look forward to these

Ronaldo vs. Aurielo
    Giggs vs. Finnan
    Saha vs. Hypia
    Rooney vs. Carragher
    Scholes vs. Sissisko
    Yes, looking forward to those mini-battles. But id rather Riise playing at LB behind Gonzales. I think Ronaldo would walk all over Aurelio.

Prediction 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I'm putting on a mad scorecast. Maybe Gerrard 1st goalscorer, United win 3-2 = 350-1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As far as I remember Riise has done quite well on Ronaldo in the past. I'd leave Riise at left back and play Warnock (or Aurelio) ahead of him. Ronaldo will cause problems no matter who's on him, but that'd be the best plan IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-1 United - Ferdinand,Giggs, Kuyt.

The only defender that woud get into the United team from Liverpool IMO is Carragher, and at that it would be pushing it with his current form. Hyypia, Agger, Risse and Finnan are all good in there own way but I dont think they would get into the United back 4.Ahead of Rio, Heinze and Neville I dont really think so.

there wont be more than 3 goals in the game and I wouldnt be surprised if Liverpool shaded it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Riise's gotta start tomorrow, if only for a repeat of that goal from a few years back :)

• Advertisement

Gerrard is due a goal.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I reckon it will end up all square. 1-1, Scholes and Crouch with the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

mike65 wrote:
    Gerrard is due a goal.

Mike.

was just thinkin that, and nobody will relish todays game as much as him.

but if benitez plays him on the right again he wont be as effective. i'm not to confident of a win at all, but i'll be confident if the lineup is

Reina
    --Warnock--Agger--Carra---Riise
    --Garcia---Alonso--Gerrard--Gonzalez
    bellamy--- crouch----

gonzalez just needs a few games to get up to speed, and i think its better to start garcia and sub him after, maybe try kuyt on the wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney is due a goal.

Mik...

I mean

Trilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

No Ronaldo in the 1st 11.....Phew!

V. der Sar
    Neville - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
    Fletcher - Carrick - Scholes - Giggs
    Rooney - Saha

Reina
    --Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Riise
    Gerrard - Sissoko - Alonso - Gonzales
    Garcia

Kuyt

Im delighted with that Riise / Gonzales are playing.

Actually, not sure about Garcia's / Gerrard's positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Utd should win this 3-1 with Giggs MOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

or it could be
    Reina
    --Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Riise
    Sissoko - Alonso
    Garcia ---- Gerrard --- Gonzales
    Kuyt

would prefer that myself

on another note anyone got a link to a stream for this?

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Saha.
    Subs: Kuszczak, Brown, Ronaldo, Solskjaer, O'Shea.

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Gonzalez, Luis Garcia, Kuyt.
    Subs: Dudek, Crouch, Pennant, Warnock, Paletta.

so liverpool

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Risse
    Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Gonzalez,
    Garcia
    Kuyt

Bellamy is crocked!

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement