Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Broadband In Bolton Street

Options
  • 20-10-2006 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Yesterday I received a personalised letter from Alan Briggs informing that broadband up to 6Mb is now available at my address (Bolton Street, dublin 1) and even better if I signed up before 27th. November I would get free installation and free broadband for 3 months.

As I am having terrible problems with Eircom I decided that this was too good to miss so I phoned NTL only to be told that Broadband was not available in my area and that it would not be available for at least six months (maybe longer) ... I was informed that the letter was only part of an advertising campaign and that it did not in any way imply that Broadband was available in my area.

Letter ended with following statement "Information correct at time of print (010/06)"

Has anyone else received this letter?

Why was I under the impression that Eircom were bad to deal with, silly me.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The mind doth truly boggle! :eek:

Alice in Wonderland stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

although i'm not in your area , i got a letter from ntl yesterday to say that broadband was now in my area ( blanchardstown ) and it is as i have an install date for monday and got a call today to confirm i will be here .

i knew it was in my area prior to getting the letter as i got my install date over a week ago after a sales call .

i just hope it all goes well as i'm with eircom myself and i'm also having trouble at the mo with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

infomat wrote:
    Yesterday I received a letter from Alan Briggs informing that broadband up to 6Mb is now available at my address (Bolton Street, dublin 1) and even better if I signed up before 27th. November I would get free installation and free broadband for 3 months.

As I am having terrible problems with Eircom I decided that this was too good to miss so I phoned NTL only to be told that Broadband was not available in my area and that it would not be available for at least six months (maybe longer) ... I was informed that the letter was only part of an advertising campaign and that it did not in any way imply that Broadband was available in my area.

Has anyone else received this letter?
    Was it an actual letter, addressed to you, or just a generic flyer?

It sounds silly, but try calling back and you'll get a different sales agent. Or try to enter your address online - it won't check your address, but it might get to an agent who will have a different database.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Foxwood wrote:

It sounds silly, but try calling back and you'll get a different sales agent. Or try to enter your address online - it won't check your address, but it might get to an agent who will have a different database.

Indeed it is most unreasonable to expect any company to arrange to have all of their csrs to be using the same database! And even if the next csr has a different data base and that states NTL bb is available in Bolton St it might not be correct so it might be a good idea to ring a third or a fourth time or maybe even meet Mr Alan Briggs for a coffe and see if the can clarify the situation.

Just because ntl tell you that bb is available in your area and even give you a special offer to encourage you to join up they apparently do not feel themselves under any obligation to be actually telling the truth????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Each customer service agent in NTL has a magic 8 ball type device which gives a random answer to any query you might have. This saves them a fortune in training costs. Its ingenious really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

It was a personalised letter addressed to myself at the correct address.
    When I phoned the agent appeared to be a bit confused and said that he needed to speak to his supervisor.
    The really funny bit was that he finished up telling me that I would get a letter when the service becomes available in my area.
    Foxwood wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Seriously, we're not kidding.

They'll tell you the first thing that comes into their heads.

When they rolled out the upgrade earlier in the year, I was told:

I'll put you on a list for upgrade, it will be done within 48 hours. 3 times I got this one.
    I'll do the upgrade while you're on the phone here, oh it doesnt seem to be working.
    I'll put you on a list for upgrade, it will be up to 2 weeks.
    The upgrade program has been temporarily halted (other people I know subsequently get upgraded).
    There is no upgrade program.
    You have already been upgraded.
    Customers will be upgraded alphabetically over the next 3 months.
    Customers are being upgraded by lenght of time they have been customers.
    Only new customers get the upgrade.

When I queried a letter they sent out for busting the oh-so generous 40GB cap they said:

There is no cap.
    The cap includes upload and downloads. It always has done.
    Only downloads are included in the cap.
    We dont enforce the cap.
    We will disconnect you from the service if you break the cap again.
    We've always enforced the cap.
    Thats a typo in the T&Cs where it says only downloads are included in the cap.

Its like an episode of Monty Python in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm just around the corner in Green Street and I have it. I was told at the time I signed up (6 months ago) that they had upgraded Smithfield and since my building was on the way to it I got upgraded as well.

Advertisement