Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year results counting towards final degree grade

Options
  • 20-10-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

a few people have been saying this lately, and today a guy in my philosophy class showed me a sheet outlining this that he'd found in the arts block, and then when i checked blackboard the head of one the departments had left a message on blackboard saying the same thing, apparently it's 50%. If this is the case i'm gonna go kooka-la-bonza, a bit of fúcking notice would've been nice. Christ.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Yeah, I'd heard about this a while ago. It was mentioned in passing at the start of one of our economics lectures. I'd imagine most people, like you, didn't know though.
    I've only heard about this in terms of 3 year courses though, so I'm not sure what the story is with 4 year courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

My course is 30% 3rd year and 70% final year. I checked this on the very first day.

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

where can you check it? it seems to be a bit of a revelation in arts at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

griffdaddy wrote:
    where can you check it? it seems to be a bit of a revelation in arts at the moment!
    I heard about it last year but thought it was the combined GPA of 2nd and Final year :confused: Does it vary between the different faculties/schools/colleges or what?

EDIT/ bah.. all the decent hacks who could inform us are on their way to Wexford at the moment:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Scraggs wrote:
    I heard about it last year but thought it was the combined GPA of 2nd and Final year :confused: Does it vary between the different faculties/schools/colleges or what?
    I think it varies. For us, our final result is either 100% our fourth year mark, or 75% fourth year 25% third year, whichever is higher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Yea last years final year Arts students could have either 100% 3rd year, or 30% 2nd year and 70% 3rd depending on which is higher.

Pretty handy system really.

Probably changed with all the modularisation rubbish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

anyone else said

"aww ****.. should have gone to that lecture?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

griffdaddy wrote:
    a bit of fúcking notice would've been nice.

my sentiments exactly but hey, this is UCD afterall! :)

Anyways this is buried in the UCD website for confirmation....

http://www.ucd.ie/students/gpacalc.pdf

Essentially the days for doing nothing in 2nd year are over. At the start of the year, before I knew about this 50/50 combination, my aim was to pass the year which would have been a success but now anything less than 60% in any of my modules will be a serious kick in the balls.... arrgghh I hate been made to work! :( Suffice to say I'm pissed off at this new procedure, if we had the option to combine 50% of our 2nd year grade somewhat like the previous system of 30% that would be fair enough but this is like starting your Leaving Cert during your xmas exams in 5th year! At least people who are stronger at coursework and consistent study will be rewarded instead of the crammers but going by dismal attendance at some of my lectures I'm certain that the majority of students don't know about this, we were told by one of our lecturers the scenario but as usual there's been nothing from the authorities or relevant faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Grimes wrote:
    anyone else said

"aww ****.. should have gone to that lecture?"

Yes. Yes I have. Already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I saw that recently its good, gonna motivate me to do the reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement