Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza dough from scratch - where can I buy cornmeal (fine polenta) in Dublin?

• 20-10-2006 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Startin to cook pizzas from scratch, and just wonderin where I can buy cornmeal (aka fine polenta) in Dublin ? Have tried all major Supermarkets with no joy, obviously some ethnic shops will have it, but which ones ?

(cornmeal's the stuff 'Domino's' roll their dough in before baking)

Cheers,

Mr Woods

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I have some here I got in the health food store in the georges street arcade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

Cheers Blub2k4, I'll check it out, all other suggs welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

..and whats the receipe for a really nice pizza base...and sauce ?

Gonna have one tonight, if it's edible, i'll post the recipe tomorrow.......if it's not back to domino's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Mr Woods wrote:
    Gonna have one tonight, if it's edible, i'll post the recipe tomorrow.......if it's not back to domino's :D
    Remember that the secret to a good pizza base is to be sure to mix in some virgin Olive oil in with the water you are going to use to mix the dough. Make sure the water is tepid, not hot not cold. This makes a big difference to the completed pizza. (got this tip in Italy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

I will dig out a good recipe for you all it involves is yeast dissolved in warm water and flour and a little olive oil. The most important thing is to get a pizza stone for your oven it takes the moisture from the base giving you a perfect base. Keep the dough in fridge at least over night,

Have a look at Alberts site and email him any questions he is a very helpful guy.

http://www.pizzatherapy.com/

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

oh forgot to mention that the stuff Dominos use for the pizza bases is semolina.

Tried various different recipes years ago, but this is definitely the best and most even authentic,it's slighty different in the sense you don't prove the dough in a warm place

Here's the link

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

Followed the recipe to the letter, and the pizzas turned out very well. The only difficulty is actually tossing the base by hand very tricky,I found it better to roll it slightly ( but not too much ) and then do the whole 'I'm a pizza chef' thing by hand after,

So it's semolina and not cornflour used by Domino's,my sources were obviously wrong !!!......... saves me a trip into George's street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Authentic pizza isn't actually tossed in the air.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Homemade pizza.....yum yum, it's the best :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Authentic pizza isn't actually tossed in the air.....
    Define authentic?

Pizza Napoletana (Neapolitan) must not have its base rolled with a rolling pin.

I'm curious as to how you'd manage to make the base without rolling and without "tossing"...

Finally got it in the 'Health Shop' in the Square, € 1.89 for 500gram bag , thankin u :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

To answer the original question, polenta can be purchased in asia market on drury street, I didnt write down the price and now I've forgotten :(
    R

Advertisement