Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little favour to ask

Options
  • 20-10-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right,

Hello all you LC'ers. I must ask for a small favour from you.

I am doing a degree project based on Education through gaming.
    My plan is to use an SDK from Farcry,HL2 or Unreal to re-create one or two experiements done in second level Physics / applied maths.

Since its been almost 5 years since i undertook any of these experiments I am asking if you could recommend one which i could recreate.

Remember that i am bound by Game physics and what not so something easier that doesn't require alot of equipment to do would be much better.

all suggestions are appreciated.

JP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Since you are limited with resources/Time, why dont you simulate an experiment
    for something simple, like a Linear motion mechanics experiment which measures the constant velocity of a trolley using a tickertape timer?

The measurement of Gravitational force is an option.
    Failing that, why not simulate the truth tables for AND,OR,and NOT gates?
    I cant think of any other ones at this stage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

had considered the ticker tape timer experiment, was one of the few that i remembered from phys/chem.

truth tables might be an idea.
    Really, its any experiement that can be recreated using the engine, end result will be me experimenting it on a few students using before and after methods to see if they learned anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Conservation of momentum ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

just making sure that linear motion mechanics experiment and the conservation of momentum are not the same (fairly sure they're not but doubted myself).

also, how would i simulate the truth tables?

any other ideas flying around?

I like the conservation of momentum idea as it allows for scripting of a simple measurement tool and the use of a VW Golf model i downloaded recently :D

or the ticker tape timer experiement as the landscaping and mapping functions would easily allow for the steep incline needed.

Advertisement