Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live At Saint Kevin's 2006

Options
  • 20-10-2006 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Commence plug...

"Live At Saint Kevin's", a 7 track mini-album recorded live in Dublin earlier this year is now available from Road Records and www.tadhgcooke.com.

The intimate living room concert was recorded in front of about 30 friends. Featured on the album are violinist Lorcan Cosgrave, singer Clare Finglass and multi-instrumentalist and vocalist David Geraghty (appearing courtesy of Island Records). Get a copy while you can.

www.myspace.com/tadhgcooke
    www.tadhgcooke.com

Some reviews for "Wax & Seal", released in 2005...

Tadhg Cooke's solo debut crisscrosses so many terrains that your musical compass may quiver with the sheer magnetic challenge of Wax & Seal. It's the sleight of hand in his wordplay that charms. A computational linguist, Cooke gets his kicks by applying a distinctly poetic sensibility to the music: placing the right words in the right order. George's St Arcade is the stuff of magical maudlin bedsitland; Sparks is drawn from the same word well as Arthur Riordan's Improbable Frequency. Eminently likeable, utterly enviable. ****
    - Review of Wax & Seal - Siobhan Long, The Irish Times, 18th March 2005

Cooke's voice immediately grabs you. Soft yet strong, it's got that Jeff Buckley quality to it that most vocalists crave.
    - HWCH Festival Review - Steve Cummins, Hot Press, 21/09/2005

'One of the finest singer/songwriters in this country to not receive the plaudits that he deserves, Tadhg has something a little special about him. His ability to mould together sensitivity and elegance with his remarkably distinctive voice casts him high above similar artists. His album ‘Wax & Seal’ is a great example of just how good he is.'
    - CLUAS.com

his highly assured debut album "Wax & Seal" sounds as far removed from the beardy brigade of po-faced strummers as Pablo Aimar's deft touches are from the journeymen footballers of, say, West Brom. Thankfully, it's also a refreshingly cliché-free zone.
    Take album standout "I Know You Hate Me", a post break-up song par excellence, where far from lamenting the loss of his one true love, our hero is rubbing her nose in the fact that he's moved on, with a chorus that most would-be troubadors would trade their broken hearts for: "I got a new love breaking me in / helps me forget about the way I've been".
    Unlike many songwriters, Cooke can do happy as well as melancholy: the joyous "Live What You Feel" wangles free from the stranglehold of earnestness to soar into seriously celebratory airspace.
    "Wax & Seal" is a confident, impressive debut.
    - "Wax & Seal" review - John Walshe, HotPress

"Our favourite new singer/songwriter"
    Miriam O'Callaghan, RTE 1

The problem with Irish singer-songwriters today is that many of them seem to have a vocabulary of about fifty words (four of them being 'my', 'girlfriend's', 'left' and 'me'). Tadhg Cooke is thankfully a little different. The young Meathman’s soft dreamy compositions are driven by lyrics that are consistently arresting and thought-provoking. And instead of being yet another dreary exercise in introspection, Wax & Seal is a vibrant album with a poetic sensibility and a keen eye for life’s absurdities. There’s more than enough fine songs on this impressive debut to suggest that he’s got a big future ahead of him. ****
    Album review - Entertainment.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

c%20tiger%20thumbs%20up%20cut%20out.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

wooo, new stuff.
    I shall be getting my paws on this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

You guys are awful.
    Enough with the tigger jokes!
    But thanks for the support all the same.
    Aw I can't stay mad at you.
    You ate a whole roll of cheese?
    I'm not even mad.
    I'm impressed.

Advertisement