Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs.

• 20-10-2006 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm my last year in leaving cert and I was hoping to do arcatecture technology or machanical engineering , What are your views on these and what do you think is best also consider the amount of jobs for these. I'd love to do machanical engineering but ireland is not the place for it or would i have to go abroad?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Arcatecture (architechture), machanical (mechanical) engineering, seriously man...:rolleyes:

Wherever you get it, a degree is a degree, that's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

A friend of mine done the Mech Eng course. He done three years in Carlow and is now doing a Masters in Sheffield. He found the course tough but he really enjoys this area so he didnt mind.

Having a great time in Sheffield, and by the sounds of it he will have no problem getting work. However he says his prospects are good because he has good work experience behind him. Spent a lot of summers in garages and now even repairs cars himself in his spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

first i say think twice about college if your spellings that bad, if your unsure google it, ffs,
    but in my opinion, do mech, cos engineers rule!! and also in arch your confind to one disipline but in any engineering course you can be interchangable cos the maths is basicly the same for the first 2 years or so...

again

ENGINEERS RULE!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Architectural Technology and Mechanical Technology are very similar, espesally for the first year. Once you get into second year they start to split up and go in different directions, but they're still not really that different.
    Architectural Technology is more heavily reliant on drawings and being able to use AutoCAD. Mechanical Technology is a lot more focused on Surveying and Maths.
    I'm in my final year of Architectural Technology at the moment. The classes can be a bit tough, espesally 2nd year. Its also well known among the students that some of the lecturers don't get along, this is having an affect on the way that the course is being taught as one lecture is teching one thing and another is teching something else that may not be even relavent to the course. Some of the students feel that we're not really being taught everything that we need to know in the course, and we're not really being incouraged to do what we need to do, which is a big thing when every student is tring to find the shortest rounte.
    Despite that the lectures don't get along with each other, most of them are still really nice and are always able to help you understand something that you may be stuck on.
    I think that it might be worth doing the course, but try to find another college to do it in first.

Advertisement