Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bedding for dogs?

Options
  • 20-10-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I have my dogs lying on old duvet covers covered by a thick layer of dry straw and old pillows but I am not sure the dogs like the straw. I see them pushing the straw off the duvet covers and sometime they prefer to simply lie on a pillow.

If I could avoid using straw it would be great as its a pain to keep changing weekly etc. But I still believe straw is the best form of bedding for animals provided it is changed at least once a week - anyone else agree or think different? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We always had our dogs on straw and they seemed fine with that, are they trying to cover something up with the straw? They might be just uncomfortable on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We used to use straw, but now use shredded paper. Dogs seem to prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

My dogs are very destructive so I buy throws in Dunnes/Penneys for them.
    They are cheap, comfy and hard to tear up. I replace them when necessary.
    Two months ago my wife splashed out €80 on two beautiful beds. They lasted all of 1 hour. Lesson learned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

My local vet told me not to use straw as it's bad for the dog's skin - He recommended shredded paper which my dog seems to love and doesn't need to be changed half as often.
    Just be sure you know who's been using the paper shredder to ensure there's no staples in with the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Where can you get shredded paper - is it possible to buy?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

lice and fleas will thrive in straw, and in materials like pillows and duvets and in time these will irritate....
    newspaper sheets or shredded are fine. I have found that turf moul (small bits of turf left over in sheds) is great as it warms to the dogs body temperature and is too dusty for fleas or lice to thrive in (well its great if you've got turf);) ...Its perfect too in a tray, as cat litter, but replace it often.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Where can you get shredded paper - is it possible to buy?:confused:

Most businesses/offices will have a shredder so we get ours from work but failing that, cheap shredders can be bought for as little as 20 or 30 euro and you can just shred up your waste paper at home!
    Some of the cheaper shredders can even be better as you get nice long strips of paper while some of the more expensive ones cut the paper into tiny little bits (Cut across aswell as down) and it's more like dust that shredded paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Thanks for the suggestions - don't think we would use up that much paper at home - two dobermans need quite a bit.:eek:

Only thing that I wonder about paper is the ink - is it harmful? Also would reasonably regular washing of duvets etc keep them free of lice fleas?

I suppose the reason I am so keen to get it right is that even after decades I still feel guilty about our poor little terrier Sami that had to live under a hole in the hedge he made for himself summer and winter - but I suppose those were different times - must post a pic of Sami and me as a scruffy 7 year old one of these days.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bertebug

i have seen heated dog beds advertised on the net. does anyone know what they are like. i keep my dogs in a garden shed with an igloo but am wondering if thats warm enough on winter nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Friend of mine used to use big pairs of (lined) curtains and sheets / blankets bought for a few quid from charity shops. Said they were warmest & best things she ever found, AND are washable!

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Mine love ................my duvet - little gets sneak into my bed in the middle of the night - must be stealth terriers - I never wake up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you need a bedding like straw try hay, it's better than straw at keeping in the heat, insects can live in it but if your dogs are treated with flea drops once a month there shoudln't be a problem. Hay is actually very warm stuff. But it can be messy and the dogs might not like it like they don't like the straw. Shredded paper is great for some dogs, I tried it with one of mine and she loved it but if it got wet after her being out in the rain etc it was a night mare to clean up and there's bits of paper everywhere.
    Try the charity shops they do really cheap big blankets and curtains and pillows etc.
    Also mabey buy some plastic dog beds big enough for the size of your dog and then put the blankets in them, mabey buy one to start with to see if they will like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 plough

Hi my Dogs are bedded with Kosibed its Straw thats Chopped and Dust Extracted but a old duvet is good to in dry weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Cow mats, there are a few different types and the really heavy dense ones are not as good as the light spongy ones.

If you're dog is used to a very soft bed you can put the soft stuff underneath the mat, its very comfy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

I went out and bought a plush bed for my lil fella, he literally pulled the stuffing out of it, this has only happened recently but i am still finding bits of stuffing all over the house, don't know what i am going to buy next...

Funny to watch though so can't be too angry with him, he broke the zip on it, sticks his head inside and pulls the stuffing out, sometimes he looses his bearings and ends up fighting to get out of it, very funny!!!! :D

Am keeping an eye on this thread as i need to get him something new!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

If you're looking for a proper "bed" for dogs, these are very good :http://www.kudospetproducts.co.uk/pet-ovalbeds.html

Have been using them for 2 years now & seem to be indestructible.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think Vet Bed is great,its a kind of fleece material, dries very quickly.

Its expensive to buy(last time I priced it in Ireland it was about €30 a metre!) but will last for years and years.

For cleaning you can literally boil it in the washing machine too.

http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/Store/Dogs/Bedding/Vetbed-Original-Vet-Bed-Pet-Bedding

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

I think Vet Bed is great,its a kind of fleece material, dries very quickly.

Its expensive to buy(last time I priced it in Ireland it was about €30 a metre!) but will last for years and years.

For cleaning you can literally boil it in the washing machine too.

http://www.petlifeonline.co.uk/Store/Dogs/Bedding/Vetbed-Original-Vet-Bed-Pet-Bedding

Have to agree, i spent 100e on this a month ago best money i have ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Alfasudcrazy

Tom Keane from Ballymac/Chutehall, Tralee does the confidential shredding for the company I work for. His number is in the phone book. Used to sell bags of shredding ad the greyhound track, maybe still does. He sused to sell it in the car park so no need to pay the admittance fee!!!. Worth a look.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

mine like a hot water bottle :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Mine have "proper" beds now that they're all adults and don't chew them up anymore :rolleyes:

But when they were younger I used a lot of those penneys fleecy throws, old duvets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I would also agree with the vetbed...I went through all sorts of other bedding. Duvets, old blankets and nice expensive beds, they didnt last a week.
    But i've had this vetbed for ages now. Its very tough and durable and very easy to keep clean and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cjbo32

get some vet bedding or an orthopedic kuranda chew proof dog bed. Great for destructive dogs and helps keep their joint healthy as its raised off the ground. They are great for big dogs like saints and great danes and wolfhounds etc The irish supplier of these is www.k9komforts.ie, they sell other beds too but these are guaranteed for a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Vincent de Paul have endless supplies of blankets that are too worn for human use; we get them by the sackful. Ask them for dog blankets...

Advertisement