Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE1 Afternoons

• 21-10-2006 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

The new schedule for RTE1 afternoons is in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

The lad Mooney is doin my head in ,coupled with that hoarse voiced person Donohue trying to flog a dead horse. To use aviation terms...deep stall

I have switched over to Moncreiff... much better.

Breath of fresh air

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Moncrieffs show is brilliant, I listen to it as often as possible. It has everything - humour, intellectual debate, gravitas and fun, all mixed into one!

Will never listen to RTE1 whilst he is the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Are you listening Miss Leddy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I'll have to check out Moncrief now that Newstalk are gone nationwide!

But wouldn't have missed the phone interview with Malachy McCourt (Franks brother) for anything! He's standing for Governor in NY State and he let rip for George W Bush... there was a bit of effing and then he called him a wanker (!) and Mooney nearly went into anaphylactic shock!

Great stuff!

But don't think I can take any more of wheezy Brenda.

And have given up completely on "Drivetime"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Again, I've been waiting a few weeks before passing comment on Mooney.

Complete disaster of a show. How that programme gets material to fill two hours is beyond me. "Mooney goes wild" was a decent enough show, but clearly, this programme doesn't prove that he can stretch what was a well produced, tight, and listenable one hour weekend show into 10 hours per week.

There was a reason why there were two music shows on daytime Radio 1.
    They run out of things to say.

A couple of pennies for John Creedon's and Miles Dungan's thoughts....

Exactly!
    So from 1500 until 2000 RTE1 is very very poor.

TBH Mooney's show is degenerating to worse than...worse than, the poorest stuff on the local radio stations.

Reality stuff is bad enough, but badly done, sadly done ,no interest reality stuff, by fourth rate "personalities" is mind numbingly boring.

I'm just waiting for some "just above extra type" personality from Fair City to be the next subject for some puerile stuff.

They got it badly wrong on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hav'nt listened to RTE after 1.45 well 2 pm since Newstalk went national.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

mooneys show reminds me of a radio equivelant of one of these glossy celeb magazines, a bunch of nobodies and a camp presenter talking about the goss and hairdressers and such. that said i already aired my grievances on moncrieff and his sniggering crew. doesn't leave a lot to listen to, i sometimes give in to moncrieff and end up listening as truth be told the rest of his show is the best radio in that slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote:
    Hav'nt listened to RTE after 1.45 well 2 pm since Newstalk went national.
    RTE Radio 1 is a freakin' disaster. I didn't think they could make it worse, but they have. Instead of switching off Mooney once a week, I now have to do it 5 times.

New Drivetime show? A joke. Dropping Rattlebag? A joke. Dropping Mystery Train? A joke.

They've totally dicked it up in Montrose, as per, and ours truly will have to make up for the loss in advertising revenue with yet another license fee increase.

Privitise RTE, sell off the Montrose real estate, drop the license fee.

The next JNLR figures will be interesting.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Drivetime's a bit of a mess alright. The Last Word can be good, but sometimes I find myself disagreeing with Matt Cooper - like when he had Ger Deering (Taxi Regulator) on the show and gave him such an easy ride on the day he bumped up taxi prices all over the country.

Anyway, back to the point. Haven't listened to Mooney, but it sounds like an audio version of The Afternoon Show. Would that be a fair assessment?

• Advertisement

The schedule is wrong as it presently is, we all agree on that, but for a root cause analysis, your answer is not the right one.

Ah, its a debate for another thread, like all the others ones before.... and if I recall correctly, we've had it out before on that topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Isnt Brenda Donoghue on Mooney's show?

Easy on the irony there Your Holiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Must say I prefer Moncreiff to Duffy. Much easier on the ear than the depressing whiney skangerfest that Liveline can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Liveline has its shane of moaners and groaners alright. Have ye seen Deirdre's mother in Conoration Street?

But getting back to Radio 1 - that drivetime show is very poor. Moncreiff is good. I did not think a lot of his show at first. But It grows on you.

After its big revamp - radio 1 is a big stale. What has improved since the revamp?

Nothing!!!

Its a load of shyte!!!

They even screwed up Saturday mornings. Before there was a nice blend of programmes,now it s One-to-one bland interviews all morning!!!

Y'know the type, Il'l say you are great,you'll say I am great,in the meantime bubbling under the surface is the book,play,website,business,agenda I am trying to promote.
    No hard questions,no brass balls from the presenter, just fcukin annoy people by calling news "noos"

I give fcukin up!!!!

RTE Radio 1 is a freakin' disaster. I didn't think they could make it worse, but they have. Instead of switching off Mooney once a week, I now have to do it 5 times.

New Drivetime show? A joke. Dropping Rattlebag? A joke. Dropping Mystery Train? A joke.

They've totally dicked it up in Montrose, as per, and ours truly will have to make up for the loss in advertising revenue with yet another license fee increase.

They could also pay the " highly paid presenters " a realistic wage based on audience reached and in line with industry norms using that paramater.

That would be at least a 50% drop in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What's Tom McGurk up to these days? Bring him back on in the afternoons with a music show?

Don't think McGuirk and music show would go together.

He's probably concentrating on the Rugby.

Whats Dungan doing anyone?

last i heard dungan was pretty fed up with RTE and contemplating leaving,can't rremember where i heard that, think it was the indo one morning

• Advertisement

He was on Tubridy thismorning .Apparently he has written some book on the Irish involvement in the Wild West.

He is a kinda history buff for milatery affairs.

I'd like to see McGurk back full time as well. Maybe Newstalk can add another "bloke" to thier schedule.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

what exactly goes on in Mooneys show anyway?

a lot of womanly talk, (like hairstyles and mammys cooking)
    after listening to a few Mooney shows i think Ann Leddy doesn't want men tuning into radio 1 from the time liveline starts til 5-7 live gets going

But I don't think "mna na hÉireann" want to hear a mammy's boy talking girly stuff either.

DMC wrote:
    But I don't think "mna na hÉireann" want to hear a mammy's boy talking girly stuff either.
    i think your probably right

Advertisement