Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best online racer?

Options
  • 21-10-2006 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone please tell me which is the best online racer today?

is it NFS or GTR2? or which one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

I only own one racer, Need For Speed Underground for the PC, so I couldn't compair it with other ones. I found it quite good online. There is Underground online mode, which works kinda the same as the single player, except you compete against real people to get mods for your car etc. I haven't played it much tbh, but seems like a good place to start

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Depends on what you want.
    If you want an arcade racer go with NFS or toca if you want realism go with GTR2 and/or rFactor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Mario Kart for the DS!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Laguna wrote:
    Mario Kart for the DS!.

^ Best arcade racer.

GTR2 = best simulation racer on Pc.

Forza 2 or GTR will likely be best on consoles IMO this generation taking into account everything including AI, crash damage etc...

You just can't beat Mario Kart for a bit of craic though. Burnout used to be good but the later features added like takedown are all crap IMO and NFS games were never any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Agreed. Mario Kart is one of the reasons why I got a DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks for the input guys, I'll look into those games,

Mario Kart while sounding like fun....... I don't have a DS and I'm not really a console guy so....

NFS, I used to like them, but this new series, they're just full of "neons"

ToCa and GTR2/rFactor(haven't heard of it before) look the most appealing,

Are there generally lots of people online playing these games?

A bit off topic, but it's kinda strange that all those game tracking applications like HLSW and Qtracker can track all FPS/strategy games but no racing games. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i just don't get racing games online i mean half the fun is actually racing against someone you know that is sitting beside you and you can give them a dig if they are winning you know to even the playing field. you can't really do that online like.

HLSW stands for Half Life Server Watch so i guess it's main function would be to server fps' to the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cremo wrote:
    i just don't get racing games online i mean half the fun is actually racing against someone you know that is sitting beside you and you can give them a dig if they are winning you know to even the playing field. you can't really do that online like.
    you could say that about any game

to be competative in racing sims (gtr/rfactor) you will need a wheel and pedals and the learning curve is steep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

...none of them.

The best online racer, bar none, is Live For Speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

tuxy wrote:
    to be competative in racing sims (gtr/rfactor) you will need a wheel and pedals and the learning curve is steep

Is it not easier using a joypad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I just tried Live for Speed, omg! hands down, it's the best of all those games(tried them all yesterday)

Cremo, lol you serious? 1 on 1 racing is so boring, online games are way to go, personally since I got used to online FPS games, I can't play single player anymore :/

Advertisement