Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Licensing Clarification

• 21-10-2006 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

If you frequently upgrade your computer like I do, I wouldn't recommend that you upgrade to Vista. According to PC World magazine http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127581-c,vistalonghorn/article.html
    Windows users are raising concerns about Microsoft's new licensing for Windows Vista that will allow them to transfer a Vista license to only one machine other than the computer for which it was purchased. The new licensing has caused confusion, especially for power users who rebuild their computers with new components several times a year, or who plan to upgrade their computers more than once in the lifetime of the OS. Users are demanding clarification from Microsoft about how scenarios like these will play out under the new licensing.

"My question about the one-time transfer is, what constitutes a machine?" asks Windows user Roger Halstead. "I have four machines and they are running legal copies of XP Pro. Those four machines are in a constant state of upgrade. I have to reactivate the OS around three or four times a year due to upgrades." Halstead says that if he is not allowed to continuously upgrade his machine without purchasing new licenses, then "Vista will not be a viable operating system for me."

Unfortunately, Microsoft has so far been unable to answer these kinds of questions from users. Contacted Wednesday to clarify Vista's licensing in such an instance, by this morning Microsoft's public relations firm still did not have an answer.

So for Vista oem license 1 machine only and Vista Retail your are allowed to transfer license to 1 machine only.

Windows Vista Team Blog http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/archive/2006/10/10/RC2_2C00_-the-New-York-Times-and-License-Information-for-Windows.aspx
    Neowin - Irked Users Seek Vista Licensing Clarification http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35723

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hang about - microsoft define machine as "motherboard"

With Windows OEM you can't upgrade your motherboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC - don't forget that this is the RETAIL version not the OEM that comes on new PC's
    b. License Model. The software is licensed on a per copy per device basis.

d. You may only obtain updates or upgrades for the software from Microsoft or authorized sources.

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
    a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may
    reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device
    becomes the “licensed device.”
    b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the
    license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded
    from allows reassignment.
    16. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.
    a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may make
    a one time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party. The first user
    must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may
    not retain any copies.
    b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software directly to a third
    party only with the licensed device. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier
    version.
    c. Other Requirements. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this
    agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The transfer must include the proof
    of license.

REMEDY FOR BREACH OF WARRANTY. Microsoft will repair or replace the software at no
    charge. If Microsoft cannot repair or replace it, Microsoft will refund the amount shown
    on your receipt for the software. It will also repair or replace supplements, updates and
    replacement software at no charge. If Microsoft cannot repair or replace them, it will
    refund the amount you paid for them, if any. You must uninstall the software and return
    any media and other associated materials to Microsoft with proof of purchase to obtain a
    refund. These are your only remedies for breach of the limited warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

who needs vista .. its a shiney verison of X.p and i have Aero glass running on my X.p so i wont be upgrading to vista till i have too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

We will have to move to Linux in 4 years time when windows xp support ends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Galen wrote:
    Why ?
    You can keep using windows after the support ends.
    some very old OS's had limited lifespans of 12 - 30 years
    then again microsoft would like everyone to be on software assurance paying 20-30% of the full cost of a license every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Galen wrote:

Mate try tell the banks to stop using NT 4 and 3.11 for workgroups... it would make my job alot easyer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Blitz wrote:
    Mate try tell the banks to stop using NT 4 and 3.11 for workgroups... it would make my job alot easyer!

You're complaining that you don't have to keep up with new technology?? Can I have your job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

ts a shiney verison of X.p and i have Aero glass running on my X.p so i wont be upgrading to vista till i have too
    If thats all you think it is then you got more reading to do. Wether you like the changes is of course a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

You're complaining that you don't have to keep up with new technology?? Can I have your job?

We do have to keep up with new tech aswell... but we still have to support the old stuff aswell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Most banks have to use legacy systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I can understand this for OEM licences, but for full retail ones? WTF?

• Advertisement

You are allowed to move vista retail license once only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its basically a loop hole they plugged. Because originally in the XP licence you could move it to a different device but they never said how many times. Now they have... simple..

A pain in the ass for the people who frequently add new components or change theirs. There is a weighting system on the parts and what will trigger it.

2 good articles on it below

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing.asp

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing_reply.asp

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/10/26/Microsoft_clarifies_Vista_activation_to_bit-tech/
    Microsoft clarifies Vista activation to bit-tech hacks
    Author: Wil Harris
    Published: 26th October 2006

Vista will be more enthusiast friendly than we thought.
    Vista will be more enthusiast friendly than we thought.

Microsoft today talked to bit-tech in a bid to reassure the enthusiast community about the licensing terms of Windows Vista.

We previously read that Vista could prove to be a nightmare for enthusiasts who upgrade often, with only one transfer to a new machine allowed and with the license tied to a particular system configuration in a way that was far more limiting than Windows XP.

A Microsoft spokesman from the Licensing Dept told bit-tech that this would not be the case. He told us that Windows Vista will not require a system re-activation unless the hard drive and one other component is changed. This means that enthusiasts will be able to swap CPUs, memory and graphics cards out without any worry about having to re-activate with MS, either on the internet or by phone.

Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently.

Should you wish to activate more than 10 times, you could be busted, or Microsoft could choose to let you activate again at its discretion.

For hardcore system enthusiasts, keeping a ghosted, activated copy of Vista with no drivers could be a good way of being able to swap around components and machines with the minimum amount of hassle.

This would seem to clear up some of the confusion about Vista activation. Let us know what you will be doing over in the forums!

Advertisement