Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mildest year ever ?

Options
  • 21-10-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭

Is this the mildest year on record so far ?

I always remember Halloween as freezing, this year people are going round , including myself , in tshirts and shorts , since May !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It would seem distinctly likely moreso for parts of Britain.

This autumn has been no autumn at all and really portrays how much GW is beginning to affect our climate. But nobody knows what exactly global warming will make with our weather systems. It could be that our winter/springs are very cold and that our summer/autumns are very warm. But i highly doubt that, the outlook for the coming fortnight is quite shocking really, more and more mild weather and then even milder weather towards the start of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

It has been quite mild for Autumn alright both for here and the UK, but when that first cold blast happens it will be a big shock to the system. I expect it will turn alot cooler/colder around the start of November. Everything doesn't have to be blamed on global warming either, it could have just been a mild year, although i don't expect this winter be very mild, but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Well its been a mild Autumn or October but a generally cold last winter with avg or just below temps.Summer was decent with good amounts of sunshine and heat.

Autumn so far has been very mild if not warm but into next week we will see more Autumnal temps.
    Its like the seasons have been pushed a month or so back being that Winter starts late and ends late well into march.Same goes for the rest of the seasons.

I too have known Halloween to be chilly and frosty some years way back in the 80s and early 90s and going by last year we had a first significant frost and snow in Late November,which 20 years ago was around the Halloween time.

But its really the look of the draw,but imo when we do get our first cool/cold pool of air over us it will keep the temps at there seasonal avg and gets rid of the leftover warmth from the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As long as the weather isn't just average i'm happy, because if it can swing one way it can also swing the other.

I'm loving the nice warm autum/late summer!! type weather, it will surely change shortly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

on metcheck they have temperatures of around 14 to 17C for the start of November!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Longfield wrote:
    As long as the weather isn't just average i'm happy, because if it can swing one way it can also swing the other.

I'm loving the nice warm autum/late summer!! type weather, it will surely change shortly.

Unfortunately averages go on statisical temps from every season from past years and it is rare for this country to have an extremity either up or down from these values.

Very boring this scenario although not uncommon this type of weather in late October.1981 was very similar to what were experiencing now.Followed by a mild Nov then a bitter Dec and Jan.

Even though last winter few might say was a cold one,it really didnt hit home till March,while Jan was dry and mild,feb was mild then cold second half while march was bitter.

I like extremes but its hard to find them in this country.:(

Advertisement