Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive way paving

Options
  • 21-10-2006 12:23pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have just finished an ext and need to get the front garden paved.

Due to saftey reasons (near the brow of a hill) we are paving the full area as opposed to part so we can drive in and drive out - too dangerous reversing out.

anyhow - it's 100sqm 10m*10m and has all earth removed and about 8" of 6" stone and a layer of hard core. So ready for the paver to start.

What type of paving have ye dealt with -roadstone,kilsaran or tobermore.
    I know tobermore are dearer but have a better look and range.

what's the general cost of laying about 100sqm of paving if I supply (as the paver I am using only deals with kilsaran)

any other general ideas, hints, costs, etc

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

I'm interested in the replies here too.
    I've a front garden of about the same size and I'm thinking of using the small square granite blocks that measure about 4 inches per side arranged in fans over the whole area. I've never done this before so I'd be keen to avoid the obvious pitfalls.
    One worry I have is about run-off and pooling. It seems that about 90% of houses go for gravel, where this would be less of an issue, but I think that paving is much neater and is easier to push a buggy over etc.
    One hint I would give is to put in some soft landscaping. Neighbours of ours have gravelled the whole thing and it looks too stark and bare, even with some lovely containers. I'm going to put in beds around three sides in a nice curve, so that we can still have a couple of small trees at the front wall for privacy and can still make the front of the house softer with nice flowers/shrubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

I'm not sure if you are looking for someone to install the paving or if you are going to do it yourself.

If you are looking for someone to install it please give me a call on 087 2545963. You can be sure my rates are lower than the next guy. I have been landscaping for almost eight years and at present am trying to make it working for myself. I have all the experience and knowlege need for such a job.

But if doing the paving yourself there are a few things to look out for.

1. Make sure the h/core it compressed well, if not it will show up later as parts of the drive will start to sink and cause poddles to appear all over the place.

2. Ensure the levels are right, you need a little slope away from the house to ensure that no water sits on the paving and most importantly does not sit against the house as you could open the door after a heavy rain fall and find the water is coming in to the house. It also avoids damp setting into the walls.

3. Be sure to phone around for your paving. I like to use roadstone, they have a great deal of paving products to suit everyone and their budgets. I don't find them to be expensive and I think there products are great quality and give a lovely finish.

4. when you have the paving layed make sure the edges are finished properly. If the edges are not right it can make the whole job look terrible.

Anyway, depending on how you are going to do it you can give me a call anytime for advice. 087 2545963 (Eoin Healy)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

eoinhealy wrote:
    I'm not sure if you are looking for someone to install the paving or if you are going to do it yourself.

If you are looking for someone to install it please give me a call on 087 2545963. You can be sure my rates are lower than the next guy. I have been landscaping for almost eight years and at present am trying to make it working for myself. I have all the experience and knowlege need for such a job.

But if doing the paving yourself there are a few things to look out for.

1. Make sure the h/core it compressed well, if not it will show up later as parts of the drive will start to sink and cause poddles to appear all over the place.

2. Ensure the levels are right, you need a little slope away from the house to ensure that no water sits on the paving and most importantly does not sit against the house as you could open the door after a heavy rain fall and find the water is coming in to the house. It also avoids damp setting into the walls.

3. Be sure to phone around for your paving. I like to use roadstone, they have a great deal of paving products to suit everyone and their budgets. I don't find them to be expensive and I think there products are great quality and give a lovely finish.

4. when you have the paving layed make sure the edges are finished properly. If the edges are not right it can make the whole job look terrible.

Anyway, depending on how you are going to do it you can give me a call anytime for advice. 087 2545963 (Eoin Healy)

First advice make sure contractor is registered, insured and can show you at least 3 projects (within previous 2 weeks, 6 months and 1 year). Go look and speak to clients, because even if the job looks right it would be useful to get feedback on execution. The end may justify the means but not always.

Unless you are familiar with the process, discussing levels/falls, hardcore depth, haunchings etc might prove difficult. Do not be shy to ask the pertinent questions.

Laying cobblelock is relatively straightforward, much of the effort is during the initial stages, excavations and base preparation, it is a pity sometimes to see good paving contractors spoil the final results by poor layout eg too much cobblelock, inadequate planting areas etc, no provision for lighting (ground/ambient/feature). Again providing more than 2 switch wires with/out a photocell can provide much better functionality.

At the basic level, rates /sq m are approx € 70 +/- (depending on selected material). Again rates will rise with more complex designs/layout and material choice. Take a look at other vendors eg Kilsaran, Tobermore, Acheson&Glover
    etc. IMO I would avoid the commoner garden cobble noting more than a coloured concrete brick.

For a little more outlay you'll get a superior product that will provide all round plaesuare and interest for years to come. Finally, some vendors can offer assistance to identify layers. You can be reasonably confident that most will be at least competent layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Hi guys, im just wondering what people wud recommend for a driveway, asphalt or tarmacadam? At the moment there is tarmac in place but its 20 years old and in need of tidying up.
    Also is it possible to take up the old tarmac or wud u just tar over wats inplace. i think the leves or kerbs etc. wud need it to be removed. is this costly?

Advertisement