Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the Renault Logan coming to Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    Best kept secret in Ireland. Or is it that people can not do very basic sums?

Even on this forum a lot of people prefer to be hit with an extra €2000 of depreciation per year to avoid €100 more insurance and €100 more tax :confused:

There are a few things though:
    • Tyres for 18" wheels cost considerably more ones for 15" wheels, and generally don't last anywhere near as long.
    • There is closer to €1000 extra per year difference in tax.
    • If something serious goes wrong with a luxo barge, forget it. If the same thing goes wrong with a Golf or Corolla it is a simple enough issue. Servicing and wearing parts will generally be a lot more expensive.
    • Parking.
    • Fuel consumption. If you do 20k a year, 30mpg less means €3000 more in fuel. (I don't believe a S-Class/7 series will ever better 30mpg and will do closer to 15mpg in the city, while many diesels will return 60mpg.)

People are not that stupid. They know what suits them. If Toyota built the logan it would sell like hot buns. People are crying out for simple reliable and cheap cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

unkel wrote:
    Best kept secret in Ireland. Or is it that people can not do very basic sums?

Even on this forum a lot of people prefer to be hit with an extra €2000 of depreciation per year to avoid €100 more insurance and €100 more tax :confused:

The truth lyeth somewhere in the middle ...

It's absolutely stupid to buy a new car (the more expensive, the more stupid) because the initial depreciation will hit you hard.

It is very risky though to buy an older large car as above a certain age and mileage the upkeep starts getting expensive. You might get away with it for a while, but if things go really wrong its either very dear to repair or worthless ...so you might still loose all of your 5-8 k or whatever it was you paid for it, because the depreciation curve on a large car doesn't level out at any stage, it just keeps on dropping until you have to give it away.

A "middle of the road car" after the first three years will have much gentler depreciation and an old supermini actually goes up in value every time it passes the NCT again:D

Now buy a one year old 1.4 Logan for ca 7k, drive it for four years, put a new NCT on it and sell again for 3k ....that's 1k loss per year of ownership ...makes sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah yeah there's bit more to owning a big luxobarge - apologies for O/T :)

I've seen one (Dacia) around Dublin a few months ago. Not sure if more than maybe a hundred would sell in Ireland per year. Hardly worth the distributor's while to bring them in

Might be slightly more succesful in the UK where people seem to be interested in buying cheap cars but insist on buying new. Think bottom end like Perodua, Indica, Kia, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

unkel wrote:
    Ah yeah there's bit more to owning a big luxobarge - apologies for O/T :)

yes indeedee ...as them across the pond put it ...you get more bang for your buck.

Problem is, you also have to give more buck when it bangs

:D:D:D

Personally I'm done with "barges" for a while and I'm really looking forward to something cheap and useful as the Logan (estate please, in my case)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Who the hell wants to buy one anyway, if you weant something cheap and nasty, buy a 1 year old Kia or Chevrolet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement