Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best router wifi to get

• 21-10-2006 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

looking for new router as smc wifi card was not compatible with new computer

what is best to one to get for distributing broadband thru house

broadband is eircom

have been directed away from wifi cards to usb dongle any recommendations on these also?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Maybe ring Eircom and tell them you want to upgrade to a wireless modem/router and they will send you one. It's an all in one unit so it'll save a bit of hassle setting up. When you get it, send the other one back.
    As for the USB dongles, they're all much the same. Just don't buy the cheapest. I generally stick with Dlink or Lynksys but they all do the same thing.
    beolight wrote:
    smc wifi card was not compatible with new computer
    How do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beolight
    smc wifi card was not compatible with new computer

How do you mean?

new computer detected new hardware, put installation cd in and then blue screen

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you look for a driver on the net?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I would have a look at the Ruckus products: www.ruckuswireless.com.

E.

looks interesting the rockus

any online retailers selling it

also which one should i be looking at

• Advertisement

beolight wrote:
    looks interesting the rockus

any online retailers selling it

also which one should i be looking at

The performance of the Ruckus kit is amazing.
    I set one up in the house, booted up Netstumbler on the laptop and started to walk about.
    The signal strenght did only drop below 90dbm until I was 150 meters down the road.....
    You should have a look on the "where to buy" section for the Irish distributor, I am sure they can help you.

As for which one; i'm sure the mediaflex router does what you've described above....

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Usually the wireless card manuals will demand strongly that you install the driver first, then insert card. Of course this is for laptops, not PCi cards.

Why change the router if the wifi card is resulting in the bluescreen though?

none of the rockus products contain a built in modem so modem still required am i correct?

beolight wrote:
    none of the rockus products contain a built in modem so modem still required am i correct?

Correct.
    But by jayzus it has everything else!
    ;-)

E.

Advertisement