Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know about the IrJSO?

• 21-10-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

did anybody else get the letter from dcu about the IrJSO in dcu on the 4th of november? a letter got sent to my school for me inviting me to come and take the test and the top 6 will get on the Irish Junior Science Olympiad.
    such a shock when i got it i didn't even know such a thing existed.

Just wondering if anybody was at this last year or knows more about it? they have a website but personal views would help me a lot more. anything would be helpful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Aw what is it with the threads lately about the Science Olympiads reminding me that I can't do them? :(

pureirishsugar, the dcu site says

"Irish European Union Science Olympiad (IrEUSO) . This competition is by invitation and is open to students from the Republic of Ireland. The Department of Education & Science provided the names of the high achievers in both Science & Mathematics in the Junior Certification Examinations in 2004 or 2005 born on or after 1 st January 1989. The test to select six students (two teams of three) to represent Ireland at EUSO 2006 will take place in DCU on Saturday 28 th January 2006 and EUSO 2006 will take place on the 2 nd - 8 th April 2006 in Brussels, Belgium."

Now that was for this years olympiad, but I'd imagine everything but the dates are the same for next years.

Congratulations on getting in :)

If you can skip through the conversaton and ramblings and general BS in this thread you'll see some people's experiences of various maths/science olympiads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202223&page=4

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

cool, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dra1ocht

Hi! I did it in December 05 and came bronze in the qualifying stage. next stage is crap becoz they get the 100 highest scorers in the JC for the previous year to take part in the heat for international placement. I was only starting 3rd year.. nd really based all my answers on general knowledge.. sure I wasnt 2/3rds through the science syllabus!!! Just look at your science book... get a feel fot logic aswell. They spring up surprise stuff.. like 2 sudoku in 1 hour!!! U can imagine how i felt!!!! me not having done one b4!! Theres alot of physics more than nething. The biology is based more on plants than humans. nd chemistry concentrates alot on understanding formulae and chemical bonds. HONS maths shud be a huge help.
    BRING A CALCULATOR--- i didnt hav one in the first exam but still ogt bronze-- "I ASKED FOR PAPER". Doing things the old fashioned way helpss. Its a bit more logical. Than a split second answer. Hope that helps!! If u need to find out more.... e-mail me: adrian2006@eircom.net . Im adrian.. if u look at the photos in the DCU website..... im no genius, just interested in science... want to be a doctor... Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

yeah i got a letter too! a bit lost on the whole thing as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 firefox745

Yeah do you know what is actually being tested on the exam? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement