Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3's The Box

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

TV3's new reality show i am led to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Anything further on it, is it worth dowloading one of the tickets, will there be thousands there with the same tickets. Any idea what kind of a show it will be, are the audience involved ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

From the same website two clicks away: "The Box is a new reality quiz show presented by Keith Duffy where the contestants have to live in an isolated glass box in the middle of Dublin. During the day the two contestants will work together to build up a pot of money and every might they will battle against each other, live on TV3, to see who gets to keep it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Congratulations to TV3 for creating their intuitive A-Z listing where you have to naviagte by page number :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Anyone been down to see the setup of it yet? Heard an ad for it on the radio yesterday but there wasn't much information. They haven't done a great job publicising it imo.

• Advertisement

Keith Duffy was on Ray Darcy's show today, it actually sounds good. they are living in a glass box in dublin, then at the night there is a gameshow the winner keeps the money (somehow collected during the day) and gets to stay in the box the next day joined by someone new.

It sounds like it could be good, the gameshows will go out live (which could be messed up) and attendance is free... but they recommend (i dont know if you need it or not) a ticket which is downloadable from tv3.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Just tuned in so didnt see it all but yer one,Mar(?)needs a good slap methinks!
    What does everyone think of it?Bit all over the place as far as i could make out.

It was good, very impressed with layout and design of the entire box and site. Small crowd was fairly noticeable too, many mock ups from Duffy and the timing behind the 'The Box' indent was all over the place... but overall it was good.
    Actually the timing was fairly bad, thas one thing they need to work on, Duffy was entertaining, i think he did a better job then most would, but seemed a little unprepaired alot... and what was with him looking back towars the box everytime the camera switched back to him?!?!

But yeah, for Irish tv... it was a better idea then most which is securing it many points, also i am shocked at the amount TV3 has spent on it (on the radio earlier Duffy was saying the figures was well up in the millions), the prizes were even fairly impressive.. unlike most of TV3 ideas this time they actually set out to get people switching over, rather then satisfing TV3 watchers and some flickers.... it was great concept and overall, but production needs to be worked on and Duffy needs to rely less on the cards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i watched the first 10 mins or so.. then i had to change it... i thought it was really bad.. almost unwatchalbe.. also it dident hold my interest... i thought they were doing it up in the sky like in a box up in the air..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

gets our eggs, get your tomatoes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Have to admit I was pretty shocked at how much I got into it. For an opening show it was pretty good. Keith Duffy was FAR better than I expected, seemed more natural when not trying to stick to script though. The prize money seems really small compared to what I thought it would be but the final round was great and pretty tense.

It looked cool, though the small crowd kinda let it down, maybe it'll build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yes there wasn't alot present in last nights show. I've some rushed pics uploaded to http://picasaweb.google.com/patmooney/TheBox. Hopefully with some promotion this week it will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I watched it and liked it.

But (there's always a 'but')....

Sound levels were wierd, the background music was too noticable during the first segment, but either they sorted it out or i just got used to it.

Poor Kieth, please give this deacent man an autocue!!! Reading the cards, mixing themj up, saying "Right!" before starting every sentance, he's a lot better than that you know. BTW that's why he was looking at the Box, that's where the big telly was so he'd know he's on.

On that note... was he wearing an ear piece?

Please ditch the big countdown to the quiz as it always ended in silence, a bad scene switch (or whatever you call it) a few members of the crowd going (yeah...)..... not good.

The crowd. Oh jaysus, please Keith - dont. talk. to. them. Tonight, they'll know its live, they'll be throwing fireworks and bangers around, I'll swear.

Finally, big gripe. There was no coverage at all of these peoples day in the house, looks like no cctv inside all we got coverage of was the big enterance (in silence, might as well be going to the jax) and someone inside recording their tasks.

So, we done get to see them going mad, their silly stupid little conversations, or maybe.... they dont talk much.

"It's raining out"

"yeah"

"Tea?"

"Nah"

But I really liked the quiz. Any quiz that goes from "Name Mickey Mouses wife" to "What form of Japaneze poetry uses only 17 words" between rounds gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

I could only manage 5 minutes of it last night...!

....but the contestant, a fair guy with the hat, a beard and a pierced nose or lip, (not sure which)... did he keep calling Keith Dufy, "Shane"?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It's not actually a box. I thought it would be more like David Blain over the liffey. Instead its a Conservatory.

There could be more then Two people in the box and they shouldn't have a room to themselfs.

It seems like a lot of money went into it, but sure it's not like TV3 don't have enough money.

I think they are doing a Makeover/Surgrey Reality TV show (ala The Swan).

ITV did something similar to the box a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

saw a little bit of this last night. Quiz was a little too tough for my liking. The sparse crowd did work well on tele. Hopefully for TV3, it not raining for the rest of the program's run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

The promotion of it is pretty bad alright. They must have spent all their money on the set itself because it looks really impressive when they don't go to that aerial shot which shows how small the crowd actually is.

In the few minutes I've been watching it there have been quite a few technical blunders. An abrupt cut to Keith, then the feed dropped with a red strap reading "Video Alarm Detected: Service ID 1", following which the screen went black. Then, Keith gave the link to a VT of tomorrow's contestant, but as the piece came up, we hear "Oh no! She's here! No, no! Helen, hi..." then the VT kicked in proper.

The poor guy that's losing is getting all the tough questions though.

Not a bad concept, and they're doing a much better job than I thought, but the music and the computer-effect on the voice is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Have to say that I saw clips of it again tonight. I must retract my sarcastic remark about not being able to answer some of the questions, I saw some last night and thought they were all as simple as those in the first round. At least they got tougher in the bits I saw tonight.

I did notice that there were typos in some of the questions as well. Not sure it will be classed as a success.

then the feed dropped with a red strap reading "Video Alarm Detected: Service ID 1", following which the screen went black.

Saw that, fair play to you for remembering what it said, i assumed they lost the camera.

I thought the questions were harder tonight, i'm just sort of peeved that tv3 dont do a live feed during the day of what they are up to.

It seems like the current champion has the format sussed though.

I posted after the first night wondering if Keith has an earpiece but last night they cut to him as he had his finger pressed so hard into his ear i thought his brain was going to come out the far side so i guess they gave him one and it dosnt work.

I think he's doing well.

How long before some streaker interupts the live show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I seen the first two eps(Missed tonights because I was @ work) and I think for TV3's first efforts it's been good. I liked the whole concept of the show, and production values regarding The box itself are really well done.

Apart from timing roblems and small audiences outside, I think that's an enjoyable show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Man - it's such a lame load of sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Morgans wrote:
    Have to say that I saw clips of it again tonight. I must retract my sarcastic remark about not being able to answer some of the questions, I saw some last night and thought they were all as simple as those in the first round. At least they got tougher in the bits I saw tonight.

I did notice that there were typos in some of the questions as well. Not sure it will be classed as a success.

Anyone notice that the questions are lifted from some American show or website???

There was one about ground lamb last night! (ans: moussaka)

Since when did we have ground meat in Ireland??? Its MINCE!!!

Bloody Americanisms creeping in everywhere.

I was wondering if anyone here can do me a favour.

Who are the production assistants on "the box?"

PM me, dont post it, Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

I hated it! The whole staying in a box is totally pointless if you ask me. Its like a cross between Big Brother and Millionaire.....it brings nothing new. They may aswell just sit down and ask them a few general knowledge questions rather than bothering with the whole living in the box for a day, it brings nothing to the show

Saw that, fair play to you for remembering what it said, i assumed they lost the camera.

I've seen that banner coming up on channels that are testing off the Sky EPG before, but I don't recall seeing it on an actual channel before.

I've seen that banner coming up on channels that are testing off the Sky EPG before, but I don't recall seeing it on an actual channel before.

Maybe TV3 is just a test and its all been a bad bad dream!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Ugh terrible, terrible show. I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it.

Hilarious show tonight with the idiot posh boy being a total arse n what not.

Keith: So how do you feel?

Michael: How do you think I feel Keith?

Keith: Well, it was close.

Michael: It was not.

Keith: Eh, it was. Anyway there's your family. *shoves him off stage*

• Advertisement

The Mk2 Keith haircut was the main talking point in the popebenny16 household over the weekend, that's how good it was.

I mean, the shrisk they have said that there was some really bad moments between some of the contestants during the week. Did we see it? Hell, no, that would be interesting.

Why bother, why not just hold a bloody quiz in a studio at 10pm, as a quiz its not a bad format.

Was in the audience tonight, at about five to nine, Keith was introduced to the crowd....

"Well everybody! Weekend's just getting started, you're all here at The Box! Sad f***s!"

On the bouncer at the door:
    "Look at ye, with your hands on your bo*****s! We all know where you're hands have been!"

Anyway, they didn't bother checking the tickets. Understandable, when you consider that there can't have been more than 100 people there. Most of whom, the director admitted, are there every night. I thought to myself that maybe the crowd just looks smaller on the TV. Not true. The TV makes the crowd look bigger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Ive seen a couple episodes of the box and it is absoloute rubbish...

The questions are either ridiculously easy or hard. they are not decent questions at all.

One question the other night was what vegetable does popeye eat?

And that woman reading out the questions sounds constipated...

Also, did you see last night the winner Andy i think is his name, he was asked some question about hindu, and he gave the answer sheeba. the woman goes incorrect wrong answer correct answer sheeba.. ??? what was that all about! he got it right and she said he got it wrong! even Andy knew he got it right but why didnt he say anything?

Its absolute crap.. and a serious waste of money for tv3... they are givng away thousands on this silly show. I wonder is keith getting well paid too?

its rubbish the way the show only has a few mins showing 2 tasks that the contestents did during the day, and then it goes straight to the quiz. if that is all there is that theyare going to show, why didnt they just do it in a studio ?

whats the point in having the contestants living in a 'glass box' 24 hours a day if we dont even see how they are getting on?

that part might make good reality tv, also they could have thrown in a few more people to live in the box. then they all could take part in the tasks and the top 2 winners compete at the 10pm final quiz...

its a total waste of a show the way it is...

whoever thought this up wants their head read...

at least keith duffy is hillarious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭wba88

well when ireland try's to copy stuff its always worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

its terrible!

and how do they decide who to put in the box? a friend of mine texted to be in it weeks ago and never heard anything back from them.. how did they decide not to pick her jsut by her name???

rsta wrote:
    its terrible!

and how do they decide who to put in the box? a friend of mine texted to be in it weeks ago and never heard anything back from them.. how did they decide not to pick her jsut by her name???

As far as I know, they get three people and let them battle it out on Ireland AM. What they do at weekends, I'm not sure, but there was an hour-long programme tonight so they might have sorted that out with the extra time. Only had a quick glance at tonight's show - it's p***ing rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Much as I hate TV3,I have to say early impressions are not bad, leading me to wonder what country the nicked it from...

It will need developement as it progresses, though. THAT will be interesting...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

The Box is actually ok, the set is impressive (particularly compared to anything RTE have done).

People complain that TV3 don't make enough homegrown programmes, so I think we could cut them some slack.

Bring back Rapid Roulette and Murphy's Micro Quiz M.

The quiz formet would have been outdated in the 1960s. I mean, the points go up as the rounds progress. A wrong answer gives the opposition points. That's it. Making the contestants visible is just weird. Terrible stuff.

And did Keith Duffy really say last night that someone had just put their goggles on their ears, and then corrected himself by saying they put muffs on their goggles? I was laughing so hard I missed the end bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

How long is this supposed to go on for? They have a good idea in there somewhere but have really delivered it badly. They should have had about 20 people living in the "box" from the start, and had the quiz as an elimination every night instead. There's no time to actually care about the contestants the way it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

People complain that TV3 don't make enough homegrown programmes, so I think we could cut them some slack.

If they did more we might be more impressed.
    How long is this supposed to go on for?

The last week or is tonight the last night? 3 weeks in all.
    They have a good idea in there somewhere but have really delivered it badly. They should have had about 20 people living in the "box" from the start, and had the quiz as an elimination every night instead. There's no time to actually care about the contestants the way it is now.

Yeah its an alright Idea. I think they should have gone with the idea of having the box over the liffey and doing away with the contestants rooms and having 10 people in the box over the 3 weeks.

Have a kind of weakest link for the audience so that we vote out a contestant every few nights.

• Advertisement

How long is this supposed to go on for? They have a good idea in there somewhere but have really delivered it badly. They should have had about 20 people living in the "box" from the start, and had the quiz as an elimination every night instead. There's no time to actually care about the contestants the way it is now.

I don't think in the current format that would have worked. Two guys were both in there for a number of nights and we never got to know them. TV3 keep saying it's a reality where is that element?

Advertisement