Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide to Registering to Vote

Options
  • 21-10-2006 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

As per the discussion on the feedback forum this is designed to help people get on the register. Mods feel free to edit as much as you like and sticky if you see fit.

Why Vote?
    It is important that everyone who can vote does vote. Your vote is effectively the only chance you get to voice your opinion on how the country is run.

A lot of people come on to Boards to discuss issues that effect their lives and the quality of life in their communities. The only way you can ever really influence these things is by excercising the power of your vote.

For this reason I think it is very important to ensure that you are registered to vote and at least receive your ballot papers. I also think it's important for people who have elderly or ill relatives to ensure that they get their vote.

First of all check if you are already registered:
    List of Electoral Register Checkers just find the link for your local authority at that page.

Note: A new integrated eReg system is expected in Nov 2006. But don't hold your breath, for now it is broken down by local authority.

[edit] Here it is: http://www.checktheregister.ie/ [/edit]

If your details are correct then happy days, you should receive your ballot papers as expected, otherwise you'll need to have it update or get your self included.

If you need to register to vote you can check out this article on Oasis.
    Registering to Vote

For information on correcting your details you can look here:
    General Information on Register of Electors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Excellent post, how about making it a sticky for a while?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stuck. This is a thread I'd like to see stay firmly on-topic. If I see off-topic waffle here, I'll move or delete posts at my discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Also www.checktheregister.ie is going live November 1st 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Oscar Bravo might update the original post with that address?

I can't edit that post for some reason.

I hate in these stickies when you have to scroll all the way through to get the up to date info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

hopefully on-topic:

I've checked the register, I'm in but I'm "Election Type: A". What does "A" stands for????. I've spend the whole afternoon on google and gov.ie but didn't find anything there!

• Advertisement

Resident Irish citizens (P)
    Resident British citizens (D)
    Resident EU citizens (E)
    Resident Non-EU citizens (L)

No such thing as type A?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

I rang the city council. It's because I'm from the continent and they need a proof of identity. A for "Alien, unidentified" maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Does anyone know if late submissions are accepted?

I only discovered at the weekend that I'm no longer registered to vote in Galway so need to register at my address here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Sleepy wrote:
    Does anyone know if late submissions are accepted?

I only discovered at the weekend that I'm no longer registered to vote in Galway so need to register at my address here in Dublin.

You have until December 9th now, it was extended from November 25th.

Plus you have always go on the supplementary register up to 15 days before the election date

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thanks skearon, submission's in the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Hi, I've never registered in person (repeatedly forgot to), but it says I am registered...I think. It gives me a local polling station, says I am Election Type 'P'....basically there's nothing saying I'm not registered. Am I?

Funkstard wrote:
    Hi, I've never registered in person (repeatedly forgot to), but it says I am registered...I think. It gives me a local polling station, says I am Election Type 'P'....basically there's nothing saying I'm not registered. Am I?
    Yes. As per above P is Irish Citizen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement