Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT 3MB gone to Sh!t

Options
  • 21-10-2006 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Recently Ive noticed my 3Mb connection has had a huge amount of disconnects & reconnects on the ADSL line freqently & also the speed of the connection has gone to the dogs!

I can barely reach 200K from ftp.esat.net and struggle to hit 100K from ftp.heanet.ie

Im using the standard esat bt ZyXEL box.

Upstream Noise:
    relative capacity occupation: 41%
    noise margin upstream: 16.0 db
    output power downstream: 18.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 28.5 db

Downstream Noise:
    relative capacity occupation: 60%
    noise margin downstream: 19.5 db
    output power upstream: 0.5 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 45.5 db

I read over on Irish Isp Test that one guy changed the ZyXEL box for a Netgear DG834pn & also lowered the MTU setting to 1492 from 1500 & as a result his connection is now stable and back up to speed. Im tempted to upgrade to a box that lets me change the MTU.

It seems to be a widespread problem.

Anyone here having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I just got BT 3MB two days ago, and was disgusted until I changed the modem. Now it's great! I'm using a Cable&Wireless ADSL Router from Argos which I thought was crap, but the Zyxel seems to be full of problems. For instance, the Zyxel refused to work at all in one of our phone sockets, but the C&W modem is at home in both. I don't know much about how ADSL works, but I'm pretty sure changing the modem helped in my case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

THe chances are that your line is not up to the 3Mb - the stats dont look great for it - have a read of these:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I was always getting over 300K from heanet. How come all of a sudden my phoneline isnt up to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ask eircom when you register a fault with them , its their line .

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sponge Bob how do you register a fault with eircom ?

Has anyone else been having the same problem?

So far from what ive read its only people on the standard ZyXel box who are having this problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

There have been a number of posts in the last week or two where people are reporting that their lines are losing synch, so it isn't a problem with BT.

This thread describes the same problem as seen by eircom subscribers:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055005616

Thats actually the eircom Broadband that Esat BT are selling you. Esats own broadband only goes up to 2 meg. Anything over that is Eircom. I have been reading about a few issues like that . Whats worse is i have just ordered mine :(

What I dont understand is I happily been on Esat BB since 512K was first available from Esat after several free upgrades I was happily on 3 Meg for months (probably years at this stage) now all of a sudden its gone to the dogs.

Im gonna give it a week and see if it sorts itself out. If not I'll try a different modem that lets me change the MTU.

If that doesnt help i'll see what the dreaded "tech" "support" have to say!

^whitey^ wrote:
    Im gonna give it a week and see if it sorts itself out. If not I'll try a different modem that lets me change the MTU.
    It's not an MTU problem. If your DSL modem is disconnecting from the exchange, a different modem might help, but given the numerous reports of problems, it sounds like it is a problem at the exchange.

Good point, sure its only routed as IP after the exchange AFAIK. Guess I was just hoping for a simple solution ... even if it did cost me a few bob.

• Advertisement

If its crap with every modem then it must be your line.

Your DSL connection entitles you to constant minimum 256k ...CONSTANT MINIMUM....and if the line cannot do that its faulty.

If you pay line rental to eircom then register on the left of the www.eircom.ie page and log in there and log a fault , namely a line fault meaning you cannot do 256k constant any more as per the package . Once they fix the constancy issue I am sure the speeds will improve too.

It could be a problem in the exchange as foxwood said but its still a fault in that you cannot do 256k constant.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If its crap with every modem then it must be your line.

Your DSL connection entitles you to constant minimum 256k ...CONSTANT MINIMUM....and if the line cannot do that its faulty.

If you pay line rental to eircom then register on the left of the www.eircom.ie page and log in there and log a fault , namely a line fault meaning you cannot do 256k constant any more as per the package . Once they fix the constancy issue I am sure the speeds will improve too.
    eircoms solution to you not being able to get your "guaranteed minimum" may be to cancel your service altogether, rather than fixing your line.

Your call.

Well if they do not fix his line he gets nothing usable anyway . How can he be worse off then ??

Got my hands on a Linksys WAG354G it has sorted all the problems I mentioned.

EDIT: i.e my 3Mb connection has returned to 3Mb and the line has stopped dropping.

Advertisement