Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor Fan query!

Options
  • 21-10-2006 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as an extractor fan (for over the hob in the kitchen) that does not have to be piped to the outside? One that filters and condenses the steam/fumes so that it doesn't actually have to have a pipe going through the wall.

Does such a thing exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes they do, infact some extractors can be used either way.There is nothing special about them,they look exactly the same and may well come with bits for extracting outside which can be used if you want.Changing the filter regularly is essential, filters aren't expensive,3 or 4 euro's for a pack.Any of the retailers should have them,powercity,DID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks!

There's a bit of debate going on here (with landlord :rolleyes: ) as to whether our fan is one that needs to be piped outside or not! I works o.k in that it seems to dissapate steam delaying the fogging up of the kitchen windows. But do they look any different than the "normal" type though? I've googled the make but no joy.

And are they a lot more expensive than the ones you have to put out throught the wall?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think fans without vent also need to use different filters. IIRC, they need to use charcoal filters, which help remove cooking odours from circulating around the kitchen.

byte wrote:
    I think fans without vent also need to use different filters. IIRC, they need to use charcoal filters, which help remove cooking odours from circulating around the kitchen.

No filter at all in it! I'll get one.

Apart from testing it by doing a huge fry-up how can I find out if it should be piped out or not???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The filters (activated charcoal) are pretty expensive in my experience. (about 50 euros and they last about 12 months, but maybe it is possible to get them cheaper). The filter is specific to the model of extractor and clips on to it. It is *not* the soft fabric filter used on almost all extractor hoods.

I believe there is a UV system used in the catering trade that does the same thing on a larger scale using a different technology. But it is a new system, and is very expensive.

If at all possible, you should vent to the outside. Your landlord should get this done, it will be well worth the money in terms of reducing wear-and-tear on the inside of the building.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

I strongly suspect landlord was fobbing me off by saying "oh the man that put in the fan said it was one of the new ones that doesn't need to be piped outside" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Sudzs
    Yep Antoin is essentially correct. Activated charcoal to remove smells and you seem to be always changing them. Best removing charcoal and venting to outside. The second filter is ion the form of a sheet and is not model / brand dependant. It should always be fitted whether unit is vented to outside or not as it is designed to remove grease from smoke / steam
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

I will need a new fan soon. Anyone know a good make that Really works well (through wall) and is LOW noise.?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

nosmo-king wrote:
    I will need a new fan soon. Anyone know a good make that Really works well (through wall) and is LOW noise.?

Siemens, they are expensive but probably the best around at the moment

Advertisement