Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheesecake fiasco part 2

• 21-10-2006 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Yes i did that stupid bet again.

Anyways i have 2 bases cooling that i made from digestive biscuits and sugar and egg, they fine.

I have 4 soft cheese tubs mixed and whipped with some melted strawberry jelly to flavour.

Its perfect texture but do i need to bake the 2 together or can i just freeze or is it fridge them for 3 hours?

I cant use a recipe but can ask for tips (its a bet) the last one ended badly sour cream is a bad choice :D

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bake the base for a short time to set it - I'd say low temp, about 10 mins (maybe 5 more after that - check it after 7-8 mins to make sure it's not burning.

The jelly in the mixture should set cheese part should set - it depends how much liquid you used to make the jelly? E.g. if you need a pint of boiling water to make your jelly normally, and you used about 1/4 - 1/3 of a pint just to melt it, that mixed through the cheese (when it cools a bit) will set it.

Work fast - your cheese will already be setting as the jelly cools, and you'll make a dog's breakfast of it if you start remixing it to get it to pour onto the base. (Incidentally - sugar and egg?? What happened to sugar and melted butter so you don't need to cook it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bake the base for a short time to set it - I'd say low temp, about 10 mins (maybe 5 more after that - check it after 7-8 mins to make sure it's not burning.

The jelly in the mixture should set cheese part should set - it depends how much liquid you used to make the jelly? E.g. if you need a pint of boiling water to make your jelly normally, and you used about 1/4 - 1/3 of a pint just to melt it, that mixed through the cheese (when it cools a bit) will set it.

Work fast - your cheese will already be setting as the jelly cools, and you'll make a dog's breakfast of it if you start remixing it to get it to pour onto the base. (Incidentally - sugar and egg?? What happened to sugar and melted butter so you don't need to cook it?)

Ahh melted butter thats whats i was missing, its in fridge now for a few hours, hopefully this one wont end up in the FS section :)

kdjac

Curiosity - did you bake the bases, or have they still got raw egg in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I melt the jelly, no water, with the cream cheese together on a bain marie (basin over hot water), then fold through whipped cream, then dish and fridge. I don't understand the egg in the base bit either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Baked bases for 30 mins (crap oven) due to the egg in or i may kill someone :p

Was digestive biscuits so using the egg and sugar makes them stick afaik, if noone dies i will post the recipe :)

kdjac

• Advertisement

To be honest my baking can leave a lot to be desired. I have a pretty cheap weighing scales and am pretty creative with recipes generally - something you can't do when you're baking. (Whatever about adding a handful of something to a recipe, what I mean is you can't start fecking about with the basic proportions of flour, eggs, butter, sugar etc. etc.)

I made a delia cheesecake from scratch once - the amounts would have fed ten feckin people, it didn't set properly (it involved sheet gelatin) and ended up in the bin. I swear buying all the ingredients involved must've set me back £15 - never again.

Advertisement