Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today i got hooted at....

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

cast_iron wrote:
    The people that use those roads use them as a rat-run, so there's only one thing on their mind - getting home/work as fast as possible.

That's no excuse for being obnoxious and abusing someone. I'm still pissed off about that incident!

cast_iron wrote:
    You musn't cycle too much in town, or pay too much heed. I probably average once a week myself - taxi drivers mostly.

taxi drivers think they own the road they get annoyed at everyone. I know they drive for a living but so do bus drivers who are much more tolerant of cyclist and other road users than taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cast_iron wrote:
    You musn't cycle too much in town, or pay too much heed. I probably average once a week myself - taxi drivers mostly.
    I probably average more than one a week myself, but Tempest Sabre is looking at it the other way round. From a drivers point of view, how many confrontations would the average driver witness in any one week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

RainyDay wrote:
    I probably average more than one a week myself, but Tempest Sabre is looking at it the other way round. From a drivers point of view, how many confrontations would the average driver witness in any one week?

As I only cycle 2 times a week tbh I didn't make a distinction of what I was doing when I make the observation. I might even be a pedestrian. What difference does it make anyway? I could imagine it mainly happens in busy urban centres with certain types of junctions. I didn't see it very often when I used to commute over the mountains for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

As I only cycle 2 times a week tbh I didn't make a distinction of what I was doing when I make the observation. I might even be a pedestrian. What difference does it make anyway?
    I can't quite get my head around that.
    I could imagine it mainly happens in busy urban centres with certain types of junctions. I didn't see it very often when I used to commute over the mountains for example.
    Well you can get it in all the suburbs around the city. Anywhere cars start and stop regularly (they don't check their mirrors). City centre especially.
    Not so much on open roads/dual carraigeways etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cast_iron wrote:
    "Confrontations" between drivers and cyclists can really only happen in slow-moving or stopped traffic, pretty impossible on open roads when the cars are going fast. Dangerous driving does still occur (close passes etc.) but in my experience it is not as bad as it is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

cast_iron wrote:
    I can't quite get my head around that.

Apparently I was looking at it from a "drivers" point of view. I'm just saying I see it when I'm cycling, driving or walking. Point of view has nothing to do with it. IMO
    cast_iron wrote:
    Well you can get it in all the suburbs around the city. Anywhere cars start and stop regularly (they don't check their mirrors). City centre especially.

Thats what I was saying. :) Though its not just cities, towns and villages wheres theres a lot of traffic might have specific junctions where it happens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

i always get hooted at going around the walkinstown roundabout even though im in the right lane cars busses vans nd trucks think the own the road . i usually just give them finger

ouai! that's what I do! it's instinct at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

byrner88 wrote:
    i usually just give them finger
    tywy wrote:
    ouai! that's what I do! it's instinct at this stage
    Try not to do this. It gives the driver the impression that they are right. Unfortunately reporting them to the Gardai might be tough - as you'd have to report loads of people.
    One possible option might be to have a word with the drivers if you pass them a short while later. Calmly inform them that you were in the right (I do accept that having a polite conversation in that situation is much easier said than done).

• Advertisement

I know I shouldn't but normally I'm irritated so I'm like screw this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

daymobrew wrote:
    Try not to do this. It gives the driver the impression that they are right. Unfortunately reporting them to the Gardai might be tough - as you'd have to report loads of people.
    Just remember if we all reported people at the rate you appear to do so, the gardai would become a permanent traffiv corpse. And very little else. I'm not trying to say never report anyone, but you must realise the effect on the gardai if we all did it quite often.
    daymobrew wrote:
    One possible option might be to have a word with the drivers if you pass them a short while later. Calmly inform them that you were in the right (I do accept that having a polite conversation in that situation is much easier said than done).
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

nereid wrote:
    No. The requirements for driving a van require that you abandon all sensibility, respect for the rules of the road and any notion of respect for other humans.

Especially if it's WHITE!! :rolleyes:

May be they just liked the OPs bum?
    Or may be they are just impatient don't know any better lunatics!

Advertisement