Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any free broadband for an OAP?

Options
  • 21-10-2006 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

just gave my gran a computer, she's delighted with it. anywho, dialup will bore her to death. i know she has free phone rental already, im wondering what she can avail of cheaply of freely because she is an oap.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT €45 package , she gets €24 off for being a gran and can make landline calls anytime included in the price (and england is free too if she has relatives there )

so €21 a month for BB and all landline calls 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

stevenk wrote:
    just gave my gran a computer, she's delighted with it. anywho, dialup will bore her to death. i know she has free phone rental already, im wondering what she can avail of cheaply of freely because she is an oap.
    Anyone whose line passes the line test can get broadband for as little as €11/month with BT (line rental and 1Mb broadband for €35), €16.50/month from UTV, €10/month (if you have your own modem) from Imagine or Gaelic Telecom, €16 from Cinergi, etc. All these deals involve switching your calls over to the respective operator. Your gran won't lose her "telephone allowance" if she does that - all of those companies are in that scheme.

While Imagine offers "free" broadband, it's a "timed" broadband which is a totally bizarre notion, because the cost of provisioning the line is the same. Other than that, there isn't any "free broadband" scheme. (There isn't any "free phone" scheme either - the government, meaning us taxpayers, still pays for your grannys phone, to the tune of 75 million or so per year, straight into eircoms coffers).

Advertisement