Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Bus Lane video

Options
  • 21-10-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Why can't we introduce something like this here?

Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That system is ridiculously dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That system is an excellent idea.

Already in place around Oliver Plunkett St., and environs in Cork, but in this case for the purposes of keeping all traffic out of the area during certain hours.

Would you still be saying that if somebody died?
    Already in place around Oliver Plunkett St., and environs in Cork, but in this case for the purposes of keeping all traffic out of the area during certain hours.
    That's a completely different thing, I have no problem with visible bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It's pretty well signposted with two lit no entry signs before it. I think that's enough to deter most motorists.

bennyx_o wrote:
    It's pretty well signposted with two lit no entry signs before it. I think that's enough to deter most motorists.
    There will always be someone following a bus who just doesn't see the signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Great idea and already in use in Dublin, theres one near Blanchards town.

And if someone is tailgating a bus and ignores signs etc and hits them, tuff luck. Looking at the start of the video, theres huge signs saying no entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

kerbdog wrote:

And if someone is tailgating a bus and ignores signs etc and hits them, tuff luck. Looking at the start of the video, theres huge signs saying no entry.

I'm all for stopping dangerous drivers and fools on the road, but i see no place for a system also punishes passengers for the drivers mistakes.

I'm sure that vans passenger was in the wrong not to have his belt on but chances are people are going to get hurt. Good enough for the foolish driver but Kids and passengers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Anan1 wrote:
    That system is ridiculously dangerous.

No its actually perfectly safe. Its dangerous to gob****es that risk, their car, themselves and the welfare of their passengers. If they just obeyed the rules and didn't try their luck there would be no problem.

You can't say looking at that video that people didn't know or see the signs. The cars are flying after the bus to try and beat the bollards.

iregk wrote:
    No its actually perfectly safe. Its dangerous to gob****es that risk, their car, themselves and the welfare of their passengers. If they just obeyed the rules and didn't try their luck there would be no problem.
    For the second time, there will always be drivers who simply don't see the signs.
    iregk wrote:
    You can't say looking at that video that people didn't know or see the signs. The cars are flying after the bus to try and beat the bollards.
    Just because the cars in the video were trying to beat the bollards doesn't mean that every car that gets impaled is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Chonker wrote:
    I'm all for stopping dangerous drivers and fools on the road, but i see no place for a system also punishes passengers for the drivers mistakes.

I'm sure that vans passenger was in the wrong not to have his belt on but chances are people are going to get hurt. Good enough for the foolish driver but Kids and passengers?

I can understand what your saying but, its a legal requirement for the driver of a car/van to make sure all their passengers are wearing seat belts. If anyone in the car was to be hurt, it would fall down to the driver being at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Anan1 wrote:
    For the second time, there will always be drivers who simply don't see the signs.

You shouldn't be on the road if you can't read clearly marked sign posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

OUCH, that 4x4 certainly hit it hard

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anan1 wrote:
    Ignorance is no excuse. If you miss those signs, then you deserve to have your car impaled. Watching the video, any driver who simply "didn't see the signs" wouldn't be going nearly as fast, and wouldn't receive injuries remotely approaching a sore head.

According to the article, they're installed to reduce pedestrian deaths. If the price of less dead pedestrians is a few idiots (and their passengers) with sore heads, then bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Anan1 wrote:

Great idea. Those who don't see the signs would not be travelling at high enough speeds anyway. These cars that hit the blockades were driven by idiots trying to beat it rising.

seamus wrote:
    If the price of less dead pedestrians is a few idiots (and their passengers) with sore heads, then bring it on.

Your not wrong, I do agree with most of what you say.

My point is this, not everybody in the car should suffer because an Idiot is driving. Those things are dangerous to passengers and kids in particular, airbags wont save a child from a neck or a back injury. I just dont agree this is the best solution although I would have had I not seen the passengers head go through the windscreen or the child in the back getting shook around.

I'm all for stopping idiots, if a guy knocks somebody down because he's drunk or driving dangerously, slap some sense into him, but leave his innocent passengers alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well look at the first shot. The road clearly has 4 big red signs that tell you no entry. Anyone who ignores or doesn't see these shouldn't be on the road!

Secondly with this system looking at the junction it seems a busy pedestrian street so you aint going to be driving fast. In that case look how fast the bollards come back up after the bus. If your driving normally and simply didn't see the signs then you will have ample time to stop and reverse out of there. The ones that got caught were fools trying to beat the bollards and couldn't make it. They are the ones that injured themselves and/or passengers. For this reason they shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Anan1 wrote:

By that thinking, Its OK to run a red light if you didnt see it, Its a drivers responability to see every sign and road marking. That 4x4 clearly sped up quite fast after the bus, I think that is a great system.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kerbdog wrote:
    Typically though they put it in and routed the buses up a too narrow street (I was on an AV class that tried to squeeze past an ESB truck one day and managed to scrape the whole right side of the bus. You could tell the driver wasn't paying though as he just kept going! :rolleyes:) only for the whole thing to be made obsolete when they opened the slip road 300 yards further up the N3 thus reducing the traffic going through the village anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Anan1 wrote:
    Would you still be saying that if somebody died?

Google Darwinism.
    Anan1 wrote:
    That's a completely different thing, I have no problem with visible bollards.

I never suggested it wasn't. A query was raised as to whether such a system could be put in place, to which I added what information I had. In any event, the difference is not as wide as you might imagine. Both systems consist of remotely operated drop down bollards, they seem very similiar in appearance to the ones depicted in the video, and visibility does not seem to be an issue. Any idiot driver that cannot obey the rules of the road deserves to have to fork out money to a body shop to have the front of their car straightened.

Gay Byrne was quite right when he said that at the end of the day, we are responsible for our own safety. Some may consider that a cop out, but it's closer to the truth than many would care to admit. No doubt, as I type this, some car packed with Brylcreem fringed goons is being pulled out of a ditch somewhere after a 5 am smash, and another family is destroyed for posterity.

Unfortunately lessons are not being learned.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Classic ! Did you see the speed that the black milf-wagon tried to go through ? Dummies.

I'm all for this kind of thing. Better, though, that they install redlight-cameras and buslane-cameras all over the place instead of speed cameras. They'll make a return on investment very quickly. I'd vote for whoever brought that into play...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

the only problem with the system in cork is that its broken more times than its working

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anan1 wrote:
    Darwin springs to mind, tbh.

Also, the 1st car went up to the bollards, stopped, went back, and tried to go through after the bus.
    Chonker wrote:
    I'm all for stopping idiots, if a guy knocks somebody down because he's drunk or driving dangerously, slap some sense into him, but leave his innocent passengers alone.
    His "innocent passengers" are often the ones who got him to drive them home. They now get fined as well as the driver.

=-=

All I cna say is that the f**ker in the black car got EVERYTHING he deserved. He, no doubt, is one who will speed through the lights when it goes from orange to red, instead of slowing down upon seeing the orange. And, no doubt, has narrowly avoided a collision with another car by the look of his driving. Hope he gets banned, tbh.

the_syco wrote:
    All I cna say is that the f**ker in the black car got EVERYTHING he deserved. .

If you found out his child was seriously hurt, would you still say that?

It seems to me that having just the camera there taking reg's in order to fine the fools would be a safer option.

I'm not defending the idiots, I just dont think you can punish everybody in the car for one mans mistake. By all means give an idiot driver who knocks somebody down a slap just dont go to his back seat and slap his child.

End of rant..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Anan1 wrote:

Just because the cars in the video were trying to beat the bollards doesn't mean that every car that gets impaled is.
    on most motorway exits there's massive signs saying "wrong way, turn back". you could argue we shouldn't have motorways in case people don't see the signs

and the signs in the vid are flashing bright red. the only way someone wouldn't see them is if they were driving a few inches behind the bus. even then it'd be difficult to miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Anan1 wrote:

Surely if you can't see the signs you shouldn't be driving anywhere, anytime.

I wonder would an insurance claim be valid.

It is clear again that accidents have nothing to do with speed and all to with stupid people being allowed to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is already a bus gate in Blanchardstown and an area wide system in Templebar.
    Anan1 wrote:
    But will go through the associated traffic lights? :rolleyes:
    Chonker wrote:
    And what of the 200 pedestrians killed by cars in the UK every year - when the pedestrian was on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Chonker wrote:

It seems to me that having just the camera there taking reg's in order to fine the fools would be a safer option.

I'm not defending the idiots, I just dont think you can punish everybody in the car for one mans mistake. By all means give an idiot driver who knocks somebody down a slap just dont go to his back seat and slap his child.

End of rant..

I don't get your point. These people are deliberately trying to drive dangerously, at speed, in a pedestrian zone in order to beat the bollards. They are not trundling along after a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a bad idea for pretty much the same reasons why you can't install a device in your car that causes physical harm in order to deter thieves*. Much as I purred in satisfaction when I heard the story about the guy in the black car, and much as I would break out the fine liquor if I heard of a joyrider getting impaled on something, deliberately installing something that causes harm is a bad idea due to risk to innocent parties.

* Not that I don't really really really want to. Hmm actually, maybe they are a good idea, impaled idiots ahoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

So if you have a locked gate and someone ramraids it and a passenger gets injured, thats wrong? Anyone driving at a reasonable speed isn't going to get injured by those bollards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'd love to see thes brought in. I hate bus lane jumpers and make a point of not letting them back into the main lane, if only everyone else would too.

Advertisement