Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Bus Lane video

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Your making excuses for stupidity, and intentional law breaking. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Your making excuses for stupidity, and intentional law breaking. Why?

Because innocent people could be getting hurt. Dont you read what I post before replying to me?

Can you pick out the part where I made excuses for Stupidity or even Law breaking. Seriously fella read the posts.

BTW if your talking about the car being rammed as opposed to the car ramming tha bollards... Honestly look at the footage. The driver was wrong, Idiot fool whatever Ive used those words in all my posts, So no I'm not making excuses for him or them only for the innocent victims. I thought I made that clear earlier, but I hope I've cleared it up for you now.

Tempest I dont expect to change your mind, You have you opinion and I have mine, Lets leave it at that our history has no place on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've no idea what history you are talking about.

People getting hurt is not the bollards fault. Its the moron of a driver. What plank watches a moving bollard, then deliberately drives into it. You can be almost certain the same cretin will be consistently dangerous elsewhere on the road. Theres bollards are like stupid trap for idiots. Better they do it there than the wrong side of a road on a blind bend and kill half a dozen of people.

People getting hurt is not the bollards fault. QUOTE]

If you look at the footage you will see that the bollards do infact play a part in hurting people.

If the driver was alone then I say good enough, Really I'm all for teaching these guys a lesson. I just dont think a system like that which can hurt innocent kids/passengers because of an Idiot driver have a place on our roads regardless of the lives they might be saving.

I'm with the guy who suggested scraping the sh1t out of the car, just dont use a system that knocks the sh1t out of kids.

Its that simple really. Final Rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Chonker wrote:
    The dad was a fool to try and go down that way, my point is use the camera to fine him. I just dont like the idea that a child could get hurt on those things because the father is an idiot. Thats all.
    So more pedestrians get killed as drivers slowly learn they can't go in there? Great idea :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm with the guy who suggested scraping the sh1t out of the car, just dont use a system that knocks the sh1t out of kids.
    You can't blame the ballards for hurting the kid. Its the drivers fault, just like it would be if he went through a red light/ignored a stop sign or drove dangerously (all of which he did in the video btw)

Ciaran thats one way to twist what we said :D

Just my opinion thats all. They look like a really good idea at least they did till I seen a child was in the Idiots car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I can see where you're coming from Chonker and i probably won't change your mind, but imho it's clearly the driver taking a rediclious chance that's putting the children health at stake. The drivers have to be responsible for their actions, and as parents they're responsible for what happens to their kids.
    They all know the bollards are there, there's no suprise, they pop straight up after the bus goes over them, if they're driving normally they're exactly like coming up against stationary bollards. But they're taking stupid chances with their kids in their cars, even if they made it through, they're all flying at hight speed down a pedestrian street.
    To me, it's like parents overtaking on a bend with kids on board. Parents have to drive carefully with their kids on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I agree with paparazzo, there's no point in trying to change chonker's opinion. But the fact is the bollards are clearly marked, with flashing signposts no less. If you can't see them then you honestly should not be on the road. It's a good idea and the more they appear around the country, then everyone will get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chonker, would you say the same about the barriers on the East-link Bridge for when the bridge lifts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The arguments posted here for not using the bollards are totally flawed. Its pretty clear that these areas are signposted etc (I have seen them in the UK) so the only way that anyone would "accidentally" hit them is if they are not obeying the rules of the road. That being the case they are a risk anyway and shouldnt be on the road.

THe bollards arent going to kill anyone, and you can bet your ass none of those punters will try it again. However if they were just written a ticket its not much deterrent.

Victor wrote:
    Chonker, would you say the same about the barriers on the East-link Bridge for when the bridge lifts?

No. It doesnt drop so quickly does it. Even the dumbest driver can see it drop. So no! I dont see your point.

Victor if you heard that the child in the back of the black car had a serious back injury would you still think it was a great device. You probably would and thats fine but I wouldn't. Its not really a question of changing anybodys opinion I was just giving my two cents.

As I've already said it looked like a really good idea its just a shame people get hurt especially kids. I'm just wondering if there is not a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Chonker wrote:
    No. It doesnt drop so quickly does it. Even the dumbest driver can see it drop. So no! I dont see your point.

Victor if you heard that the child in the back of the black car had a serious back injury would you still think it was a great device. You probably would and thats fine but I wouldn't. Its not really a question of changing anybodys opinion I was just giving my two cents.

As I've already said it looked like a really good idea its just a shame people get hurt especially kids. I'm just wondering if there is not a better system.
    this was posted in the humour forum too and someone suggested tyre spikes. i think we can all agree that tyre spikes in a pedestrian area would be a worse idea :D

they can be dangerous as we've seen but they're so clearly signposted that the only way someone would ever go over them is chancing their arm like in the video. if the man in the jeep drives like that he's going to injure his child one way or another. getting rid of the bollard will just prolong the inevitable.

at least this way he had to stop and wait for the bus so he couldn't be driving fast enough to kill himself or his child. maybe this will wake him up and he'll drive safely from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chonker wrote:
    As I've already said it looked like a really good idea its just a shame people get hurt especially kids.
    But this is a shopping street and is a known spot for pedestrian injuries. You are asking that several children in prams be injured to save one in a car.
    I'm just wondering if there is not a better system.
    Ban cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gatster wrote:
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/225/225933_drivers_lose_the_bollards_battle.html

This is right in the center of Manchester near the Arndale. The bollards are up all the time unless a vehicle equipped with the sensor approaches. They are in use all over Manchester and have been for a while. Although this sort of thing does happen, it's pretty rare as ther are so many signs. Read the article above, the second woman chose to ignore the signs, which is usually what happens as there are numerous warnings wherever these are in place, and usually opportunites to turn round and go back or turn off these streets.

I knew I saw that area before! Was over there just a week back and was looking at guys on mopeds driving through them revving the feck out of their hair dryers. If your blind enough to not notice that it was a no entry for normal traffic they are soft in the head, its VERY obvious that its only for Buses and the rare council vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

The video makes it look like the bus passes through the bollards immediately after it picks up passengers. A commentator on one of the articles about the video suggested that the bollards be repositioned to be immediately behind the bus when it stops. That way, there is no way anyone could try to rush through them, as there is a bus a few feet on the other side of them.

Cool video, though. I'd say the dude in the black SUV got some abuse off the wife that evening.

Advertisement