Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspirin 9300 change from ATI X300 to ATI X600

• 21-10-2006 7:24pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can get my hands on an X600 graphics card.

Does any one know who I would go about changing it?

Is it even worth while?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I dont know is it even possible to do that, excepy maybe limited changeability on the xps 1710. Plus laptop drivers are specific to the manufacturer and not the card maker, so be sure that dell support that card.

Have you googled it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I dont know is it even possible to do that, excepy maybe limited changeability on the xps 1710. Plus laptop drivers are specific to the manufacturer and not the card maker, so be sure that dell support that card.

Have you googled it?

Best I could find was this but its to do with 6800 or 7800 ultra.

I know you can swap cards but wondering how difficult it is and if it would be worth it.

The X600 will be coming from a Dell computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You do realise that Desktop and notebook graphics card are physically not the same?

That aside, I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade that line, and with the ones that can be upgraded, it's alot trickier and difficult then desktop cards and you will fcuk up your laptop if you're not completely sure what you're doing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

HavoK wrote:
    You do realise that Desktop and notebook graphics card are physically not the same?

That aside, I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade that line, and with the ones that can be upgraded, it's alot trickier and difficult then desktop cards and you will fcuk up your laptop if you're not completely sure what you're doing.

The X600 is coming from a laptop.

The link I posted in my last reply shows how to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

kearnsr wrote:
    Can get my hands on an X600 graphics card.

Does any one know who I would go about changing it?

Is it even worth while?

Depends what problem you are trying to solve. Its still not going to be v.fast.

• Advertisement

Depends what problem you are trying to solve. Its still not going to be v.fast.

It was just an idea of upgrading to a better graphics card to play some of the newer games. Its probably not a massive leap from the X300 to X600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

kearnsr wrote:
    It was just an idea of upgrading to a better graphics card to play some of the newer games. Its probably not a massive leap from the X300 to X600

Personally I think you'd be better selling the 9300 and look for something on the outlet store with a much better gfx card.

ON a slightly seperate issue whats the screen like on the 9300. I've seen mixed reviews about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

kearnsr wrote:
    The X600 is coming from a laptop.

The link I posted in my last reply shows how to upgrade.

Sorry, my mistake there. Thought you were talking about trying to stick a desktop card into a laptop!

Regarding the X300 vs the X600, both are low end cards by modern games standards, but the X600 is considerably better, and certainly worth the upgrade if its either free or extremely cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have an X600 mobility in my Dell. I can run Quake 4 on lowest graphics settings with a good framerate but I get long load times. Of course I only have 512MB of ram and Intel Centrino 1.7GHZ. I can run HL2 on medium graphics and Doom 3 on medium graphics.

brim4brim wrote:
    I have an X600 mobility in my Dell. I can run Quake 4 on lowest graphics settings with a good framerate but I get long load times. Of course I only have 512MB of ram and Intel Centrino 1.7GHZ. I can run HL2 on medium graphics and Doom 3 on medium graphics.

I run HL2 and to me it seems fairly decent on the 9300 but I always knew that the X300 wouldnt be much use for games.

I think I can get a X600 for free so was wondering if it was worth it risking messing up the laptop if I was only gona get slight better performance.

Not sure what screen the 9300 has. Must go check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well its up to you if that performance upgrade is worth it. Might be worth checking out some old reviews of the cards.

I know I got the X600 mobility as an optional extra as the X300 wasn't much use for games.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/264/7/

Weird website. The second graph has the X300 V X600 but it doesn't say what way they ran the tests. Anyway I ran into a gaming forums where someone had the option to upgrading to 600 from 300 and everyone went insane and told him to take the X600.

I find it to be a good laptop anyway. If your happy with what you have, I'm not sure you should upgrade. Unless you need it. I don't think I'd bother. However I know if it'll mess up your laptop or if it'll even fit in your laptop. The thing is that laptop cards are usually customized so it might not fit.

Advertisement