Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G3SG1 review

Options
  • 21-10-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Well folks, here it is. My G3SG1 in all it’s glory. It arrived about 2 weeks ago but this is the first chance I have had to add the pics and a small review up for you all to see.
    First off is the box. Impressively marked and very big as you can see (it just about fit on the table in the kitchen. I also got some silicone spray, a Hi-Cap mag and some BBs (3000 to be exact), a battery and charger.

35114.jpg

When I opened the box I was amazed by the size of the gun itself. It is about 3 feet long (could be a little more but I haven’t measured it) and the weight is pretty substantial. The quality is great (I would expect this from Tokyo Marui) and there is no wobble or creaking at all. The bipod is locked in place by a thumb release button on each leg and it is pretty secure, the only thing I noticed was a bit of side movement in the bipod itself but the manual says that this is so that you can balance the gun on uneven ground. You may see a red cover on the barrel in the below picture but this is only to protect the barrel so is removable. Needless to say that all I wanted to do at this stage was fire the thing but I have to charge the battery first. This was easy enough as I put it on the charger overnight and there is an automatic cut-off on the charger itself to prevent the battery from exploding and ruining your shooting pleasure (as well as anything within about a 6 foot radius!).

35115.jpg

Loading the mag was standard fare. The one that was included in the box is a 70 round Lo-Cap but this was all I needed for the time being as the shooting was going to be confined to my relatively small back garden. The loading instrument provided is best described as a pipe that you put the BBs into and then push into the mad with a metal rod. The BBs went in easy enough and I used the .25g ones that were included in the box (there are about 200 of them but I didn’t count them of course).
    Plugging the battery into the stock for the first time was a bit of a chore but I have got the hang of it now and can do it pretty quickly. The butt-plate snapped into place quite nicely and I was ready to go.

First thing I tried was the coke can test from about 3 feet. The trigger pull is nice and light and contrary to anything else I have read about this gun the fire selector switch does not feel like it is about to fall off anytime soon. Out came the BB and hit the can which of course went flying and fell on the floor. I then realised that something had hit me and when I checked this out I found that it was the BB. It had bounced off the can and came straight back at me. Well, I just had to take a look at the can at this stage but there was only a fairly large dent, no penetration so the only conclusion that I can draw from this is that the gun is putting out less than 280fps. Disappointing but hopefully this will wear in over time. Fully auto makes a very satisfying rat-tat-tat and the BBs fly out at an astounding rate. I emptied the rest of the mag in about 12 seconds which according to the instructions and other items I have read about this thing is about right.

I can’t wait to skirmish this sucker because at the moment I am quite limited in what I can do with it. Taking it out in public is not something you would want to do with this (or any other airsoft weapon) unless you want to get arrested. The 70 rounds that have been put through it are all that I have had a chance to use really but I thought I would do one more coke can test with a .20g BB to get the reading for that but the results were the same as the one with the heavier .25g BB so nothing new to report there.
    Next items to get will be a Claw Mount and a nice Scope for the top of it because the gun looks a bit naked at the moment. These would really set it off nicely as you can see from the box picture that these are displayed and look tops.

That is it really. For my first airsoft weapon I am really pleased. I was expecting something a little more toy like but was pleasantly surprised that it isn’t. The last couple of pics below are of the gun on my kitchen floor. I only took one from the front and behind as in any of the other reviews I saw there were plenty taken from the sides. The two angles actually give you an idea of what it looks like from your own perspective. I will get some more pics if anyone wants any so I can post them or you can PM me and I will send them on. Hope you enjoyed the review.

35116.jpg

35117.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

congrats on the gun ! i quite want one of them myself...

as far as the coke can test. you need to have the gun about 2 - 2 and a half INCHES away from the can to see penetration. not feet! especially with a stock AEG. i had a spring sniper that was shooting about 320fps and it would *nearly* penetrate at three feet. so yeah, give it another go! oh, and make sure its .20g bbs you're using for the test. but im sure you probabaly know that already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Thanks Oisin. I had a feeling my Coke Can test was a bit off. I tried it with the .20g bb alright but got the same result. I will give it another shot from 2 inches away and post the result. Does anyone out there have the link for the Coke Can test? I thought I saw it here on Boards before but can't find it.

Master of the Universe

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/BulletDetail?bulletID=34

you should get penetration through one side alright. a nice little dent in the other. it can be quite satisfying mutilating a can ;)

also, for fun, try flowerpots. they break up good. even at a distance!

oh nice review by the way! makes me want one even more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

My stock P90 TR nearly cut a beer can in half from about 8 feet with 0.2g bbs earlier...my brother was firing it and he's seriously dangerous with it...he'll be on my team in any skirmish we go to!!

EDIT: It was a Heineken can so it want even a cheap brand one.

Master of the Universe

from what he said i take it he was firing at it on semi auto? single shots deff wouldnt penetrate from 3 feet. full though would deff rip it to shreads.

i hope to god Harekin your gun was shreading that can at 8 feet because it was on full auto! if not, you have some miracle 500+fps stock gun there in your hands lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

some beast ya got their. It would lok hot with a reddot/scope methinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

o1s1n wrote:
    from what he said i take it he was firing at it on semi auto? single shots deff wouldnt penetrate from 3 feet. full though would deff rip it to shreads.

i hope to god Harekin your gun was shreading that can at 8 feet because it was on full auto! if not, you have some miracle 500+fps stock gun there in your hands lol
    No it wasnt full auto just semi auto...I cant understand it. If you around during the week Ill drop up and show you?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

beer can ?? try a coke cola can mybe your beer can is lighter?

Master of the Universe

actually do you want to hang on till i get my Famas? it could be here by friday if you go by what scope said getting his two orders within five days. plus he's all the way over in galway ;)
    ooh, i could get my friend up with his Colt m733. a day of trying out each others guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

seen this beauty in the flesh, and full auto is louds of fun!

have fun with Miscreant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bniall

when you ever do go airsofting remove the bipod and flash hider, they wobble and the flash hider has the potential to come off! i have removed mine.

the bipod to be quite honest unless you ever go to some place in england that has large open spaces in an urban enviroment you wil never use these. to do this:

1. look at the hand grip, above the bipod there is a big chuncky pin, remove it
    2. pull the hand grip down and slide forward, this takes the entire thing off
    3. there is a screw which connects the bipod to the handle, unscrew it.
    4. the reason for removing the hand grip is so you can get the square nut connected to the screw.
    5. put the screw, nut and bipod back in yor g3sg1 box for safe keeping.
    6. to put the hand grip back on slide the wide end in first and push upwards.
    7. slide the fat pin back in place

to remove the flash hider get a tiny allen key and unscrew the tiny screw, then pull the flash hider off. you can then either keep it off as i have and save it for another day or you can apply locktight or a glue and use it to secre the flash hider back in place caring to tighten the screw again.

BTW i am selling my G3SG1 photos available, 1 joule spring installed, battery, charger, high cap mag, brand new and never used CA g3/mp5 sling, reddot scope, TM high scope mount, bipod and flash hder reattached, and full stuff came in the box (including manual and orig low cap mag)

fully working, less than a year old, very powerful, usual wear and tear scratches only selling because i want to complete my Royal Marines kit and buy a new L85A2 from star.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

bniall wrote:

BTW i am selling my G3SG1 photos available, 1 joule spring installed, battery, charger, high cap mag, brand new and never used CA g3/mp5 sling, reddot scope, TM high scope mount, bipod and flash hder reattached, and full stuff came in the box (including manual and orig low cap mag)

fully working, less than a year old, very powerful, usual wear and tear scratches only selling because i want to complete my Royal Marines kit and buy a new L85A2 from star.

sorry micreant, but after using yours i am sure you will understand......

thread hijac.... HOW MUCH :D

pm me a price and your general location plzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Bump.

So very tempted by this. Whats the rate of fire like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Rate of fire is not too bad on the standard battery. It will empty the 70 round mag in less than 10 secs. Not skirmished it yet (or any of my airsofts) so not sure what it would be like in the "real" world. It is a pretty long rifle too so you need long arms to hold it. My wife can't hold it properly, she holds on to the mag as she can't stretch her arm on to the hand grip. Still love it to bits though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well 70 in ten seconds isn't great, 140 in ten seconds would be fairly decent.

Master of the Universe

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement