Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expert opinion wanted on permission slips

Options
  • 21-10-2006 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm totally confused about permission slip(s). I've been invited to join a shooting club where mainly shotguns are used for hunting over 500 acres. I want to get a licence for a 22LR and the club sec says that he will give me a letter stating "that I am a member of the club with permission to hunt fox and rabbit over land of 500 "acres. He said that its all I need for my application.
    Q:
    I thought you needed two permission slips.
    Can you hunt fox and or rabbit without a hunting licence.
    Can the club, as opposed to the landowner, give permission to shoot on the land.
    A friend told me that I needed two permission slips from two different landowners, and that clubs cannot give permission slips.
    Before I commit to joining can anybody tell me the true story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Not posting this as an "Expert" by any means .. BUT !

Membership of a recognised club which has in itself permission to shoot over 550 acres should be fine .

I think your confusion is based on the alternative method of obtaining personal permissions from different landowners , in that case there is a minimum acerage involved afaik . A club, on the other hand will (On your behalf if you like ) have obtained shooting rights or at least permission to shoot over the land of many landowners.

By becoming a member , you become a party to those permissons and rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

Thank's
    Can you help with the hunting licence issue. Are there any restrictions on hunting fox and rabbit and is that a genuine reason for seeking a licence as a member of a shooting club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ArthurJ wrote:
    Thank's
    Can you help with the hunting licence issue. Are there any restrictions on hunting fox and rabbit and is that a genuine reason for seeking a licence as a member of a shooting club.

well you get a firearms license and you can then hunt with that license. You don't get hunting licenses in this country for anything bar deer really.

so yes you can ask for a firearms license to hunt fox and rabbit but it is a firearms license you will be granted not a specific license to hunt fox and rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

ArthurJ wrote:
    I'm totally confused about permission slip(s). I've been invited to join a shooting club where mainly shotguns are used for hunting over 500 acres. I want to get a licence for a 22LR and the club sec says that he will give me a letter stating "that I am a member of the club with permission to hunt fox and rabbit over land of 500 "acres. He said that its all I need for my application.

While im by no means an expert on hunting/shooting as my name suggests. But as someone who likes to see a clean kill, and as much as ive seen experienced hunters take a fox sub 100yrds with HV .22lr ammo, may i suggest a
    .22 magnum(WMR) as i, i could be very wrong, wouldnt use a .22lr on a fox.

just my 2 cents, correct me if im wrong and feel free to tell my take tke a run and jump!!!!

Thank's
    But I'm asking about permission's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

No problem, like i said you can tell me to take a run and jump!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Basically all the guards are worried about is acreage the idea behind getting two permissions is that you've more land to shoot on but if a club has permission to shoot on 500 acres and you join the club then you have permission for 500 acres thats all the guards will want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

acreage only really applies to a hunting licence ie deer licence from the dept of enviroment which has nothing to do with the gardai,if they are looking for that for just the .22 to the .220swift then they are being a bit sticky,if you are a member of a gun club that has acess to lands thats all you need also if your club's lands has deer on it you can apply for a deer licence to the dept of enviroment and pass it and you club membership to the gardai for a centerfire 22-250 upwards

I meant more that they are looking to see that you have somewhere to hunt with the gun they dont looking for maps but they still do ask for the amount of acres in the farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

.243 wrote:
    acreage only really applies to a hunting licence ie deer licence from the dept of enviroment...
    It also applies if someone is applying for a firearm for Hunting (of any kind: vermin control, rough shooting, driven game, etc), and they don't have their own land on which to hunt.
    A person without their own land will have to produce either proof of membership of a Gun Club with permission already in place, or letter(s) of permission from individual landowners.
    This stems from Section 4.2.a of the Firearms Act (1925-2006): "has a good reason for requiring the firearm in respect of which the certificate is applied for"
    Someone with an address in a housing estate (for example) who's looking for a shotgun/rifle cert for 'Hunting' will have to show that they have access to somewhere to legally pursue the activity.

The Deer Licence bit is over and above all that, in that they'll need to have access to land on which deer are present, and for which the Parks & Wildlife people as satisfied that there is a viable population of deer.

The number of landowners/acres required appears to vary from District to District.

• Advertisement

Thank's

landowners/acres and the lack of clarity as to what is required, that's the very issue I find confusing.
    I would have thought that the regulations required a certain minimum acreage i.e. 50 acres, then if I got permission for 25 acres I would require another permission for 25 plus acres.
    What I'm driving at is that some people say you need two permissions, some say three, which makes no sense unless (as pointed out) that you have a certain minimum acreage. Doe's anyone know what that might be, is it published anywhere or is it decided on a whim or a case to case basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As far as I know, the specific numbers of acres/landowners isn't actually published anywhere; at least, not anywhere we plebs can access.

It appears to be purely at the discretion of the individual Superintendent of each District, and is really only something you'll find out for certain by talking to the Firearms Officer.

The Secretary of your Gun Club is correct, their letter detailing your membership and the Club's 500 acres of permissions is all that you should need. The Firearms Officer/Superintendent could possibly look for more, but I'd be amazed if they did.

There's no specific licence required for hunting foxes and rabbits.

Basically what rovi said...

Theres no really clear cut way to go about any of this

The idea behind getting two permissions is that your showing them that you have alot of land to use the gun on. There is no law that says you must have two permissions however if you have access to two it would make sense that you show that to the guards to make your application stronger

In your case you have permission from a club which has a number of permissions totalling 500acres so really you may have permission on maybe 5 farms.

Basically its not the number of permissions its the amount of land but two permissions can look better when your dealing with small farms/lands but in your case you've more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

ArthurJ wrote:
    I would have thought that the regulations required a certain minimum acreage i.e. 50 acres, then if I got permission for 25 acres I would require another permission for 25 plus acres.

First time i applied for licence was six years ago for a .22lr, had permission to shoot
    on family land(10 acres), I wasn't a member of a gun club. My licence was granted without any problems......
    Have since got a limited shotgun licence and still use the ten acres on that licence..........

Advertisement