Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ 600W Game X tream PSU swap

Options
  • 21-10-2006 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I might be looking at swapping my GameXtreme i find it to loud compared to the 520W modstream i had (RMA'd it and got above psu :( )

Am i being to hopefull for thinking someone would swap the above for a Seasonic 480W PSU?

I just need to get rid of it to get my pc quiet again, weird i know but i leave it on at nite and the psu just isnt quiet enough.

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I find mine noisy 2 & its at the top of my case :mad:
    Every other fan is quiet. Good quality psu tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Im not going to go as far as saying it's noisey but its defo not silent or quiet which is what im after.

Totally over kill for my system anyway: amd 64 3200 winchester, dfi lanparty, ati x800xl, xfi elite pro, 2 hd, 2 optical thats about it i think.

And yeah voltages etc seem very stable over all since i got it. Only really used the pc for about 3 weeks (gaming) with it before starting college again and only using the pc for music (no internet :( ). It's only 2-3 months old to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

will ya swap it for a enermax noise taker 600w

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah mines noisy as well. I was half considering voiding my warrenty and swapping out the stock fan for a quite Zalman one, but i'm guessing theres a reason OCZ didn't use their quite one in and went for one that pushs more air, I mean most new PSUs offer a fan control included, which this doesn't. Probably why the air coming out of it is always roasting. I've got the 700w model, which is pretty much the only component in my system i'd hoped I wouldn't have to upgrade in the next year at least but now i'm thinking I might get 2xfanless 400w ATX2.0 PSUs and hook them up in a decently ventilated case (P180? Lian Li V****?) and cut out there noise altogether and still have stability. There's always a better way of doing things isn't there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

so any news ??

• Advertisement

I might look into a Fan swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jozi wrote:
    I might look into a Fan swap

:rolleyes: Bye, Bye warranty.

I'd be afraid to do mine. Ocz have the reputation of having a good rma service which is why i'd rather not.

They do as experienced first hand when i RMA'd my old psu.

I had my old psu close to a year and now the new one near on 2-3 months, it's kinda like a free psu.

I'm looking into it anyway. Small adventure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Unless you know what a capacitor looks like and how not to touch them i'd advise NOT opening your PSU, they can store up a sizeable charge for a number of hours after they have been unplugged. If you are going to replace the PSU, i'd leave it unplugged for maybe a day before tinkering. Or just be very carefull and don't touch off any of the components inside the unit.

I dont think leaving it un-pluged for a day will discharge the caps, not that i plan on touching them.
    I've done a fan swap before to a antec true power, i'm hoping its not a whole lot different to do (1 fan les to).

Would you think a 120mm papst fan will be enough for cooling?

Jozi

• Advertisement
Advertisement