Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile Phone - Dirty Trick ??

Options
  • 22-10-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

was driving through a town yesterday. Garda car directly behind.

Mobile phone rings. Ignored it as do not have a "hands free" and had no place safe to pull over. And of course - the cop car behind.

Phone gave few rings, then stopped. So, - Missed Call -

Now, I have my mobile number lettered across the back of my car.

Just wondering, could it have been the "boys" behind trying it on, see if I would answer. ?? Or would they be so sneaky. ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Did you ring the number back when you stopped the car? That would probably have told you who it was

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's possible I guess. It's near the end of the month after all - quotes to fill! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

J_R wrote:
    Just wondering, could it have been the "boys" behind trying it on, see if I would answer. ?? Or would they be so sneaky. ??
    No, I doubt it very much. The vast majority of Gardai are not 'sneaky'. I don't think they will go out of their way to create extra paperwork. Just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Sorry, no number was "Unknown"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    quotes to fill!

:rolleyes: Who would they have to quote, and how many times?

• Advertisement

CLADA wrote:
    :rolleyes: Who would they have to quote, and how many times?
    LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think you are a little paranoid.

It's well known that the boys n girls in blue are sent out to meet their targets towards the end of the month.

Example I've used here before: There's a Garda station next door to our office and a post office directly across the road with (typically) no parking provision, resulting in people parking on double yellows outside it.

For about 22/24 days of the month this goes on without comment, but in the few days either side of the start of the new month, out come the cops to "enforce" the law - I've worked there for over a year now and it's the same every time.. just as how there's more cynical revenue-oriented speed-trapping around this time too.

Just as a matter of interest J R ,(and you can tell me to mind my own business!), if you run a small business (a driving school I presume) and have your telephone number on the rear window, would you not be better with a 'hands free' system anyway?

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    It's well known that the boys n girls in blue are sent out to meet their targets towards the end of the month.

Example I've used here before: There's a Garda station next door to our office and a post office directly across the road with (typically) no parking provision, resulting in people parking on double yellows outside it.

For about 22/24 days of the month this goes on without comment, but in the few days either side of the start of the new month, out come the cops to "enforce" the law - I've worked there for over a year now and it's the same every time.. just as how there's more cynical revenue-oriented speed-trapping around this time too.
    CLADA was referring to the use of 'quotes' instead of 'quotas'. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I have had them drive on my rear bumper at night with their headlights on trying to get me to go over the speed limit. They pulled me anyway for nothing, kept me there for 20 minutes and then buggered off when they got bored.

I wouldnt put it past them, to be honest.

CLADA was referring to the use of 'quotes' instead of 'quotas'. ;)

Exactly and I'm sure thats what Kaiser was talking about:rolleyes: They approach the cars at the post office and say to the drivers:

"Hello Hello Hello, whats going on here then?"

or

"Move along, theres nothing to see here"

I would think twice to each driver would more than fill their QUOTE for the month!!!:D

My bad.. I'm an IT manager and been ordering too much stuff lately... must..let..it.. go :D

Rabies wrote:

I do not think so. Only gave two rings. No further calls from unlisted number.

However, on more mature reflection they may have been bored, just messing. There was two in the car., might have a bet on whither I would answer or not.

Re. "Handsfree" Looking at a few systems. Had a chat with "Halfords" to install a radio/blue tooth but they said they had nothing suitable for a Golf MK5 ??. Something to do with the connections.

The phone is a PDA (Xda 11s) so any advice greatly received.

However can easily live without. Just pull over and stop. If no place suitable just call back first opportunity. (If number displayed)

overdriver wrote:
    I have had them drive on my rear bumper at night with their headlights on

Lads I know its Sunday morning but come on!

Driving at night with their headlights on, the sneaky ba****ds:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

J_R wrote:
    Hi,

Mobile phone rings. Ignored it as do not have a "hands free" and had no place safe to pull over. And of course - the cop car behind.

Despite what some might think - Guards generally have better things to do

CLADA wrote:
    Lads I know its Sunday morning but come on!

Driving at night with their headlights on, the sneaky ba****ds:eek:

I meant full beams.

overdriver wrote:
    I have had them drive on my rear bumper
    Must be a huge bumper - probably one of the old Saabs from the 1970s.

I was going to say "driving up my arse", but I feared a flurry of stupid jokes and / or a ban.

One down...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

J_R wrote:
    Hi,

This crap should be in The Cuckoos Nest.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Are you a Garda by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Was sitting here this morning, doing my Income Tax and wanted a break So posted about above incident.

If you read it as crap, fine your opinion.

I know that normally the cops do not go out looking for trouble. I see far to many incidents every day where they turn a blind eye to driving offences by road users.

Main reason for posting, to give a heads-up to people who have their mobile number on their cars/vans. How easy it would be to get nabbed.

J_R wrote:
    Was sitting here this morning, doing my Income Tax and wanted a break So posted about above incident.

If you read it as crap, fine your opinion.

I know that normally the cops do not go out looking for trouble. I see far to many incidents every day where they turn a blind eye to driving offences by road users.

Main reason for posting, to give a heads-up to people who have their mobile number on their cars/vans. How easy it would be to get nabbed.

Don't let them get you down JR, my own opinion is that there are more than enough drivers still using their phones while driving at the moment. the guards are not that desperate yet, however, some sadistic one may do it for a laugh!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rabies wrote:
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have, on more than one occasion, had unmarked squad cars accellerate up behind me on the road out of Naas (Kilcullen Road).
    I am fairly handy at spotting the unmarked cars, so obviously stick to the limit. They would be driving quite close to my bumper, in what seems to be an attempt to make me speed up. Baxtards, they then turn into the garda station.

Funny that someone mentions end of month quotas. The Gardai were speed checking cars coming into Naas (on the same road) last night. I have been travelling that road almost daily for 12 years and have never once seen an accident on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

J_R wrote:
    Hi,

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Anan1 wrote:
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Unless it's digital :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement