Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDA Internet Through Vodafone Bluetooth

• 22-10-2006 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

When i'm on the move i want to be able to use my Bluetooth enabled phone to get online on my PDA. What are the settings used by Vodafone to do this? I read that the username is WEB and the password is WEB but when i tried it would'nt connect.TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

mickger wrote:
    When i'm on the move i want to be able to use my Bluetooth enabled phone to get online on my PDA. What are the settings used by Vodafone to do this? I read that the username is WEB and the password is WEB but when i tried it would'nt connect.TIA

APN is isp.vodafone.ie
    Username and password are "vodafone"

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

Anyone got the exact settings required on the PDA for this?

I've tried various things and while I can get a connection between the PDA and my Nokia, it doesn't attempt to connect via Vodafone ISP when I try and access a website on my PDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Anyone got the exact settings required on the PDA for this?

I've tried various things and while I can get a connection between the PDA and my Nokia, it doesn't attempt to connect via Vodafone ISP when I try and access a website on my PDA.

hi.
    these settings work for me (i use an ipaq 4150 and nokia 6230):

in the pda go into connectivity>settings>
    add new modem connection:

name: vodafonegprs.
    modem: bluetooth dial-up modem.
    number: *99#
    tap and tick "use dialling rules"
    tick "work"
    tap edit> leave country code and area code blank.
    tap dialling patterns>
    local calls: G
    long distance calls: G
    international calls: G
    tap ok twice
    untick "use dialling rules"
    tap ok again
    tap next
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone
    tap advanced:
    set max baud rate
    untick "wait for dial tone"
    set extra dial-string modem commands as:
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.vodafone.ie"

then go into bluetooth settings in the pda and create a dial-up connection with your phone.

atleast some of that should be useful to you.
    hope it works.
    let me know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

mkennedy wrote:
    hi.
    these settings work for me (i use an ipaq 4150 and nokia 6230):

in the pda go into connectivity>settings>
    add new modem connection:

name: vodafonegprs.
    modem: bluetooth dial-up modem.
    number: *99#
    tap and tick "use dialling rules"
    tick "work"
    tap edit> leave country code and area code blank.
    tap dialling patterns>
    local calls: G
    long distance calls: G
    international calls: G
    tap ok twice
    untick "use dialling rules"
    tap ok again
    tap next
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone
    tap advanced:
    set max baud rate
    untick "wait for dial tone"
    set extra dial-string modem commands as:
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.vodafone.ie"

then go into bluetooth settings in the pda and create a dial-up connection with your phone.

atleast some of that should be useful to you.
    hope it works.
    let me know how you get on.

Will try this later and see how i get on.Really hope it works. Thanks for the settings.

Thanks for the settings.

Ive tried that, and Im getting a connection alright... Connectivity Dialogue box shows that Im connected to vodafonegprs with the timer incrementing.

Problem remains that if I start IE, and try and access a website, it just times out saying page you are looking for cannot be found. If I connect over my local wireless connection I can use IE fine.

Any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Thanks for the settings.

Ive tried that, and Im getting a connection alright... Connectivity Dialogue box shows that Im connected to vodafonegprs with the timer incrementing.

Problem remains that if I start IE, and try and access a website, it just times out saying page you are looking for cannot be found. If I connect over my local wireless connection I can use IE fine.

Any ideas ?

Is your SIM enabled for GPRS data? Ring Vodafone to check.

Hi

yes, I can connect to Vodafone Live, or use Opera on the handset connecting to Vodafone ISP without any problem.

Its a 3G handset if that makes any difference ?

Hi

yes, I can connect to Vodafone Live, or use Opera on the handset connecting to Vodafone ISP without any problem.

Its a 3G handset if that makes any difference ?

sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

as i said, those settings are for my ipaq 4150 and nokia 6230. they may differ for you. what pda and phone do you have btw?

having said that, seeing as you got a connection they seem probably ok (ie if e.g the dial-string modem command was wrong you wouldn't have got a connection at all).

have you tried another browser over gprs/3g (e.g opera or netfront) to see if it's a problem with pocketIE? does pocket outlook work over gprs/3g? it could be purely a browser problem.

i got my settings from vodafone tech support so maybe they'd be kind enough to help you out with your settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've got the same problem i use my own nokia 6680 and a n560 (wm 5.0) and it works perfectly but on a mates ipaq with windows mobile 2003 qand a nokia 6230i i fire up the conection fine and open the browser or email and no connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Got it working with the settings provided but would imagine it would eat up the old credit fairly fast. Its good to have the option to use it all the same.

• Advertisement

mickger wrote:
    Got it working with the settings provided but would imagine it would eat up the old credit fairly fast. Its good to have the option to use it all the same.

yeah, probably more suited for email than browsing but you can use reformatting portals on the web to significantly reduce the data downloaded.

e.g www.mobileleap.com and www.skweezer.net cut the data download to about 10-20% of the original webpage. so you can view 5-10 times as many pages before incurring the same cost.

also, if you turn off images on your browser it cuts data costs further.

if your on bill-pay, vodafone do data add-ons e.g 25mb for €15, 50mb
    for €25, 100mb for €40 (iirc) etc so that keeps data costs down somewhat. unfortunately not unlimited like other mobile networks (like e.g t-mobile in the uk afaik) but better than nothing i suppose.

Thanks for the settings.

Any ideas ?

hi.
    i actually do get the same IE message from time to time... happens every so often for no obvious reason (none to me atleast).

today for example i got the IE message repeatedly and then opened up netfront instead.. couldn't get a webpage with this either initially but then got it (again for no obvious reason).. went back to pocketIE and it worked.
    go figure.

the above is obviously not an explanation of the problem your having just an illustration of the capricious and headache-inducing nature of internet connection problems.

i'd say those settings i gave you are probably ok though.

Advertisement