Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds Gerkins...

• 22-10-2006 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey all,

I got a Macky D's lastnight and I noticed that I always take the gerkins out of the Big Mac, burger, etc. I noticed a good few of my friends do it too!!

So what do ye think.....gerkins in or out??

Gerkins.... 100 votes

Leave them in
    0% 0 votes
    Take em out
    60% 60 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    40% 40 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the rare times i get a mcdonalds burger i always comment on how it is the nicest part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

someone once told me the amount of gherkins taken out of Mc D's burgers causes them to lose millions each year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Actually they are pickled cucumbers according to the box they come in, I used to work there many moons ago.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Gherkins are ming. Enough said.

• Actually they are pickled cucumbers

Yes, that's what a gherkin is :rolleyes: I like them actually but most people I know pick them off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I always take them off and give it to someone else at the table (There will almost always be one who likes them, as I've found theres about a 50 - 50 split)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're gorgeous. Haven't gotten a McDonalds in years, but I remember when a mate took his gherkins out, I used to put them into my burgers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hate the damn things, but there's always someone who wants them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

dcarroll wrote:
    someone once told me the amount of gherkins taken out of Mc D's burgers causes them to lose millions each year

Why? You've paid for the gherkin along with the rest of burger so what difference does it make to them if you throw particular parts of it straight in the bin.

Anyway I've never worked in fast food but I'd imagine it it'd actually cause problems and cost more (in both time and money) to make 'custom' burgers that save on pickled cucumbers due to customers who don't want them.

Personally tho I like the gherkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Gherkins rock!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Gherkins are the worst part of the burger! I hate them and moan to get a plain burger everytime I go in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yum.. best part.. i do not eat beef any more but if i make my own veggie burger or something then i put them in. Have 2 jars of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Pigman II wrote:
    Why? You've paid for the gherkin along with the rest of burger so what difference does it make to them if you throw particular parts of it straight in the bin.

Anyway I've never worked in fast food but I'd imagine it it'd actually cause problems and cost more (in both time and money) to make 'custom' burgers that save on pickled cucumbers due to customers who don't want them.

Personally tho I like the gherkins.

I think it's more likely that they would SAVE money if they didn't bother with the gherkins since people throw them out. But not all people do, so maybe they'd lose sales from people who like them. Anyway, they are slimy, salty disgusting slices of sea slug and I hate them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love the gherkins! There's always a fight between me and my best friend as to who gets the unwanted ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's more likely that they would SAVE money if they didn't bother with the gherkins since people throw them out. But not all people do, so maybe they'd lose sales from people who like them. Anyway, they are slimy, salty disgusting slices of sea slug and I hate them.
    Well you see, as it is those people who don't want gherkins either pick them out of ask that they're not put in, in the first place.

If they suddenly removed gherkins, half of their customers would complain about the lack of gherkins, and they may even lose sales from people who no longer buy McDonalds because, "They don't put the gherkins in anymore". I've never heard anyone say that they don't eat McDonalds because they hate gherkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

love them.I'm that guy who takes them off others

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

love 'em.. they add a little bit of flavour, just wish they'd put in a bit more mustard in Ireland.. any other country where I've had one seemed to have as much mustard in as ketchup, over here more often than not there might not even be any..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i only like them in a McD burger, i'd never actually buy them..maybe i should..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I LOVE when everyone takes the gerkins out of their burgers.
    I do the rounds and devour them all!
    MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

When i was younger the oul one would always take it out of my burger for me, so I do it now through habit more than anything. I neither love nor hate the taste.

My oul lad loves them, hes the guy who throws everyone elses gherkin into his burger. When i worked in mackers there was one Latvian bird who used to throw about 20 in her burger on her break, they told her to stop, tight ****ers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Love me a bit of gherkin! *

* that came out more sexually sounding than i'd hoped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hate them, out of my burger (last time I ate in McD's was many, many years ago) and whoever I was eating with, I would give it to them, no point in wasting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

I once saw on television that McDonalds only put the gherkins in their burgers because without them the sugar content of the burgers would be so high that legally they would have to classify them as desserts. Gherkins are just in there to reduce the overall sugar content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Abstract

Not strictly on topic but....
    After clubbing one night in cork i went to the mcdonalds on winthrop street and then strolled up towards centra on the corner of bridge street, there was a little stray dog licking up a pile of vomit. Feeling sorry for it i tossed it rest of my burger, he walked over sniffed it and went straight back to the sick. The dog knew something i didn't ever since then i've lead a mcdonalds free life!
    Oh and gherkins?Yuck..:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Shifted from A.H. to Food & Drink with open link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The ones you buy in the shop, in jars, never match the ones in a McDonald's burger. I've tried gherkins, cornichons, dill pickle, pickled cucumber - there's something sharper about the McD's gherkins. Saying that, there's always a jar open in this house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I hate gherkins *except* in McDonalds burgers. When I worked there I'd always get a Big Mac extra onion extra cheese extra "pickle" for my lunch. Yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I used get physically sick at the taste of these on a burger when I was young....but I grew to love them, like a lot of other stuff that tasted bad as a kid....the only thing I never grew to like was mustard. I HATE mustard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Gerkins in ftw :D Mmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

they give another element to the burger,like an alien painting a wall with its fingers.

Advertisement