Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Surround sound question

• 22-10-2006 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm in the process of setting up a home cinema system but have run int a problem that I hope someone can help me with.
    I have a 32" lcd tv mounted above the fireplace and soon I'm getting a projector and surround sound. My problem is that I cant view the projector on the same wall as the tv as I would be sitting too close to the screen.( About ten feet away) Plus that wouldnt be far enough to get the best picture size from the projector.
    My solution would be to put the projector screen on another wall but heres where the problem comes in. If the surround sound was set up for the tv then when you watch anything on the projector the speakers would be in the wrong position.
    I have looked for switcher boxes but cannot find anything and I cannot move the tv to the other wall as that wall has two doors in it.
    HELP!!! Is there anything out there which could solve this problem for me.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

couldn't find any easy solutions, there aren't really any cheap 5.1 speaker switches that i could see.

you could use 3 2-way speaker switchers
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97927&criteria=Speaker%20Switches&doy=22m10

you could use 2 2-way speaker switches if the ground connection of each the speakers are shared. You'd want to check that the four inputs of the switch box are four seperate switches and that the grounds of the left and right channel aren't connected in the box. Hard to explain. See attached image CIRCUIT.GIF

You would likely need a second centre speaker. The front and rear speakers would want to be matched for best results, sometimes a front left is not the same rating speaker as a rear left etc.

If two switch boxes doesn't work three should

You could also make your own switch box if you know what your doing, using 6-pole double pole switch, or a combination of other switches. You should have your amp off when switching over the speakers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

this isn't a good idea..the ideal positioning for 5.1 means to get the best of it, the speakers would never be in the right position if you turned 90degrees. also, your center speaker is going to be in the complete wrong position

You could do this. Get a higher end receiver with a/b outputs, This will give you a full 5.1 output, and also a second stereo output..run stereo from your tv, and 5.1 for your projector. Most tv is only in stereo anyway.

secondly, you could get the denon 5805, it can support 2 full 5.1 setups. it'll set you back several grand though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

Would something like this work
    http://www.smarthome.com/82646.html
    Im not too technically minded but would this or something similar work.
    Thanks for the replies

how would this help with the problem that the speakers woudl still be in the wrong positions? unless you are going to have 2 sets of 5.1speakers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,368 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

nantony98 wrote:
    Would something like this work
    http://www.smarthome.com/82646.html
    Im not too technically minded but would this or something similar work.
    Thanks for the replies

No this only works for stereo sound(2 channels). Sends the output from a stereo amp, to up to six pairs of speakers, you'd need something to switch 5 channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Check this out

http://www.projectorcentral.com/3M-MP7740-projection-calculator.htm

With this model, a 10' projection distance would give you a 113'' screen size (Good size)
    You have to choose the model according to your demands and no need to project on another wall or get complicated sound setup

Cheers
    Gaetan

that's a 4:3 projector. Far from ideal for home theatre use. However that is a good poitn, you should be able to get a projector to run from a 10' throw. Projector central i believe will recommend compatilbe projectors if you give them your throw distance. don't forget though, if your distance from wall to wall is 10 ft, to take away the depth of the projector

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

It's a 4:3 but you can switch it to Widescreen

Check it out with the magnifier at 1.2 and Aspect Ratio at 16:9 gives you a 113'' screen. I do have photos taken of the projection on the wall during the WC final

I was projecting at 14' and the screen was nearly 12' wide. Impressive.

Gaetan

yes, but it will have black bars on top and bottom, which means you are losing screen space..much bettter off going for a 16:9 projector from the start

Advertisement