Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switches, MCBs, RCDs - Sequence of wires, IN and OUT?!

Options
  • 22-10-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

On Switches, MCBs, RCDs, marked with numbers, what is the correct sequence for incoming wire? Does it go to side 1 or side 2?

A make or break switch shouldn't care?

But what about MCBs, RCDs, RCBOs, must the live phase come in top or bottom? 1 or 2?

Is it brand dependent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

It doesn't matter for most RCBO's, RCD's and MCB's.

It does matter for switch fuses, fuse switches and the old screw-in neozed fuses, if you get it wrong the outer ring of the fuse holder will be live. For them its brand dependant but normally the phase goes in the bottom.

I normally put phase in bottom (no. 1) and load on top (no. 2), unless its easier to do it the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

Looking at the screw in fuse, I'd worked that out.

the RCD is marked 1 on top, 2 on bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

rcd's and mcbs are on when "up" and off when "down"
    The supply usually goes in the bottom from the CU's I have seen.

On a somewhat related note, whats the easiest way to remove power from the whoe CU so it can be replaced?
    Im assuming I have to remove the main fuse from the ESB box but how do I go about this?
    Id rather not just stick my hand in and pull it out :rolleyes: is it switched?

There are all sorts of issues, safety and legal, about "tampering" with the ESB fuse

yeah, but any electrician (RECI or not) is just gonna do the same thing right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

No, that's why we have apprentices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

theres a switch that u can turn of in the esb cabinet u have to unscrew a shiny flat head screw and take of a lid and behind it is a switch, which u pull down.

sorry just realised not many have this option, what im on about is for mostly new builds with their own seperate esb cabinets

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

No, that's why we have apprentices.

Lol.

Or you can do it live.

Copper wrote:
    Lol.

Or you can do it live.
    nah, *thats* why you have apprentices!

We have a separate esb cabinet outside the house (with the meter) but the bit where Im assuming the fuse is is hidden behind a plastic cover "sealed" with those esb tamper wire thingies.
    If I open that whats gonna be inside? :)

GreeBo wrote:
    nah, *thats* why you have apprentices!

We have a separate esb cabinet outside the house (with the meter) but the bit where Im assuming the fuse is is hidden behind a plastic cover "sealed" with those esb tamper wire thingies.
    If I open that whats gonna be inside? :)

Here, stop fiddling with your thingies and get back to putting the phase in Copper's bottom. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement