Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing advice

Options
  • 22-10-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I’m thinking of a career change at 31 years. I am not an ambitious person what I hold important is a job that supports my lifestyle and doesn’t impede my values of an ideal world. I would really like to get into the healthcare sector either nursing or midwifery (I’d love to do an integrated and children Nursing) Which would give my application a greater chance based on my leaving results (1993!) or as a mature student. I have already an Irish degree so I would have to pay for the degree but would I get tax back or any grants? Any advice from someone in the same position as me would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You might get some information here. I'm sure there are a few people on here who could advise. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

phoneix wrote:
    I’m thinking of a career change at 31 years. I am not an ambitious person what I hold important is a job that supports my lifestyle and doesn’t impede my values of an ideal world. I would really like to get into the healthcare sector either nursing or midwifery (I’d love to do an integrated and children Nursing) Which would give my application a greater chance based on my leaving results (1993!) or as a mature student. I have already an Irish degree so I would have to pay for the degree but would I get tax back or any grants? Any advice from someone in the same position as me would be gratefully received.

Go for it, did it myself and reckon its the best decision I've ever made. just started a nursing degree in Leeds (I'm 34 and an NUI graduate). dont know how you'd feel about the UK but, there are no fees (paid by the NHS), you'll probably get a wee bit of a grant and a mature student allowance, which all helps. These sites might help a little. Also, the degree course in the Uk is three years as opposed to four in Ireland (if time's an issue).

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/careers/nursing/index.html

http://healthcare.leeds.ac.uk/pages/3_nursing/nur1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

hi op
    my name is david. i'm a student rep in the school of nursing and midwifery at trinity college dublin. be assured the mature student cohort in trinity is massive in both nursing and midwifery. the courses are tough and the hours are long but the work is really rewarding and interesting. i would say you stand a better chance getting in on a mature student application, although its by no means an easy route.
    if you want more info, send me an email at healthsciences@tcdsu.org and i'll give you what advice i can or put you in touch with the right folks.
    The cost of doing nursing is going to be around 5,500 a year, which you should be able to claim 20% of the total each year in tax rebates. You can apply for a higher education grant from your local county council, you should check out www.mygrant.ie and see if your eligible. its based on your income from the previous tax year. student nurses/midwives receive a travel allowance of 15euro per week of placement completed (of which there is roughly 12 weeks a year). other than that you'll need to be able to support yourself for the first 3 years. in fourth year you get paid for 36 weeks of placement at the rate of 80% of a fully qualified staff nurse/midwife.

hope that helps.
    like i said, anymore Q's send me a mail.

Good luck,

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

toomevara wrote:
    Go for it, did it myself and reckon its the best decision I've ever made. just started a nursing degree in Leeds (I'm 34 and an NUI graduate). dont know how you'd feel about the UK but, there are no fees (paid by the NHS), you'll probably get a wee bit of a grant and a mature student allowance, which all helps. These sites might help a little. Also, the degree course in the Uk is three years as opposed to four in Ireland (if time's an issue).

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/careers/nursing/index.html

http://healthcare.leeds.ac.uk/pages/3_nursing/nur1.htm

I did too age 28 in the UK. Also did a masters in Public & Environmental health (part-time evenings - pay as you go) Am on top grade salary now. Best thing I ever did.

Advertisement