Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power steering fluid

Options
  • 22-10-2006 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Any ideas where in the dundrum area you can buy power steering fluid :confused: Need it urgently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Dell-boy, any automatic-transmission-fluid will do (that's what power-steering fluid is). Dunno where you'd get it in Dundrum, but at least looking for auto-trans fluid will be easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

The motorfactors down just after the mental institute going away from Dundrum, doubt they'd be open though. Ring the AA and ask if they have a bit spare

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most forecourts will stock their own AT fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you've VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda (and possibly Mercedes too) you cannot use "any automatic transmission fluid" as it will p1ss out through the seals in the steering rack. You will need a special power steering fluid available through main dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Tis a focus... Guy in Statoil said the GearWay stuff would do, bit i didnt want to chance it and he said not to take his word for it (didnt know transmission fluid was basically the same stuff.). Friend from work is picking some up on the way in in the morning (lives near a auto store) failing that ill try motorfactors in the morning. Driving test is tomorrow @ 10am - its just above the min when cold and i don't want him to start off seeing that etc. I was suprised its so low, as i say not below min but not much above it either 1-2mm. When the engine is warm its about 4-5mm above the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Good luck with the test, probably better to have the engine warm going in for the test. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't panic, the engine will be warm when he looks.

Yeah i know but thats the thing is he will know this too and may think that the level is too low. I've looked up Esmonde motors and they open @ 8:30 ill be there for then and grab a bottle just to be safe. Test is in Rathgar with a pass rate of 44% so not going up there taking any chances :)

Well off come the L plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Congrats, safe driving :)

• Advertisement

Oh no no i failed (9 grade 2's - 2 left/right observations, 1 clearance on parked cars [hard not to in rathgar but not blaming the area], 1 progress on straight and 2 gears [was using 3rd over ramps as i always do to avoid changing all the time car does it no bother but prob only just, im guessing thats what that was]), but power steering fluid is topped up and made a difference i have to say.

I meant test is over so back to normal driving thank god :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

you mean "out" come the L-plates ? or have I misunderstood

L plate are hassel. No motorway and people act like dicks when you have them on, ive noticed that over the last 4 days that they have been up. Friend of mine (Guard) told me to not use them last year as they only draw attention to you and once you obey the rules of the road you wont have a problem which i do bar the having L plates up and no motorway driving.

Advertisement