Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Mondeo - Odd steering

Options
  • 22-10-2006 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I had a look at an 03 Mondeo Zetec this afternoon and liked the car a lot apart from one thing- the steering was odd.

It was pretty heavy for power steering and at low speeds there was a low kind of thumping noise whilst turning.

The guy selling it said he never noticed it before as he usually had the radio on.

Should I walk away or is the steering on these a bit quirky at low speed (presumably higher torque on the power steering)?

Loved the look and feel of the car apart from the steering a very low speeds and hoping this noise is just a "feature" rather than something to worry about.

Anyone with Mondeo driving experience thoughts would be welcome .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I recently bought a zetec diesel, and compared to my previous car (Seat Leon) the steering felt a little heavy at low speeds also. After a few days though, I got used to it.
    Also, once you get up a bit of speed, its fine.

However, just to be sure, check the tyre pressures are correct, and check the power steering fluid is at the right level, and that no leaks are visible.
    There should'nt be any noise from the power steering pump except when the steering is at full lock, and then it might emit a slight groan. Don't keep the steering at full lock for too long though, as you wont be doing the pump any favours.

Btw, are you going for petrol or diesel? Just being curious.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Get a good Mech to check over the car for you, its worth paying the money to have it properly checked out..
    imo,the radio on sounds like malarcky to me...if the seller is hesitent about the Mech checking over the car walk...
    Best of luck with your hunt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I drove a 2001 Mondeo Zetec Diesel for approx. 18 months and 40,000 miles.
    Can't say I ever noticed noise from the steering unless on full lock - I'd get it checked or find one without the noise.

Suprised you didn't mention the brakes though, pedal has to go very far to the floor before they work - take a bit of getting used to but fine once you are. Just means sudden breaking when you jump in to another car.

Only problem I ever had with mine was snapping the gearbox mounting when taking off from traffic lights a bit too "energetically" in the wet - friendly dealer replaced under warranty, and managed to get through front tyres in 12,000 miles. Think that may be my driving style rather than an issue with the model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Longfield wrote:
    I had a look at an 03 Mondeo Zetec this afternoon and liked the car a lot apart from one thing- the steering was odd.

It was pretty heavy for power steering and at low speeds there was a low kind of thumping noise whilst turning.

The guy selling it said he never noticed it before as he usually had the radio on.

Should I walk away or is the steering on these a bit quirky at low speed (presumably higher torque on the power steering)?

Loved the look and feel of the car apart from the steering a very low speeds and hoping this noise is just a "feature" rather than something to worry about.

Anyone with Mondeo driving experience thoughts would be welcome .

Test drive one or two other Mondeos and see if you can hear the same noise from them. I would not take the seller's word for it, at the end of the day he trying to clinch a deal and may tell you what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

gyppo wrote:
    Btw, are you going for petrol or diesel? Just being curious.:)

Either to be honest, more price dictating than anything else.

Thanks for the rest of the advice lads, think i'll drive another one or two before making my mind up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

R.O.R wrote:
    Suprised you didn't mention the brakes though, pedal has to go very far to the floor before they work - take a bit of getting used to but fine once you are. Just means sudden breaking when you jump in to another car.

Didn't notice that at all though wasnt any need for sudden breaking during the test drive, thanks for the tip though, will bare in mind next time I drive one.

Advertisement