Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical of the likes of the Sunday World

Options
  • 22-10-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Here we have something pretty damn big about to happen in Limerick, and we have the sunday world style of reporting it.

SundayWorld-FashionTV-Limerick.jpg

Isn't that just a lovely headline?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

also notice they say "Town gets fashion tv makeover"...I know were close to being a town but..come on.Thats a cheap shot.Were one proud city!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder where it'll be held, and how many Gardai will be "in the vicinty" to help out?

Read the above: I wonder how little Gardai will be left in the places that really need them, rather than having them gape at the lovely ladies?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

yeah, it isnt the most original headline but are you surprised?they do it all the time..its a fact of life that the negative news/headlines is/are more often than not more interesting that the positive. you cant change what the papers will write over night. limerick just happened to be a city that has, and is still having, issues with crime which is going to be reported whether you like it or not.even if the link between the headline and the story is tenuous at best! :)...(irish people have long memories it seems ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Fair play to Sohailia though, she seems to be getting some amount of press time lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I wouldnt even mop up puke with that rubbish. Nevertheless we shall prevail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ah come on. The first paragraph reads "the unfair tag of stab city" and apart from the use of that unfortunate phrase the article is pretty positive. Granted, the Sunday World is a worthless rag, but people need to take stuff like that with a pinch of salt. Taking offence at every little slur/percieved slur won't stop the slurrers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The way I see it, one has nothing to do with the other. Limerick's crime tag is being attatched to every event which takes place in Limerick, where as this does not happen elsewhere. Have you ever seen a headline like

Band X playing in Drugs capital Dublin

I doubt it.

It would have been more appropriate to report the story and leave limerick's crime tag on the story about the attempted killing of that Cahill fella, which was also inthe paper a few pages further on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Seriously, Fashion Tv coming to Trinity Rooms a huge thing ? If thats a "big" thing for the city, god help us all! The outlook is then, imo very bleek. Wont affect my life in the slightest and probably wont affect most people in the city in any way.
    anyone who spends money on Red Tops like the sun/Star/Sunday World is only supporting them and their headlines. If you don't like it dont buy it/read it. Buy a decent paper, not that tabloid rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Ah, it's always the same. People complaining about the bad press (Dublin press of course...) and tell everybody how nice it is here and how many decent hardworking people live here.

But then in the evening they lock up themself behind their estate walls and fences, secure their home with CCTV cameras and won't go around the corner for the chipper.

Jayzus, isn't this called Schizophrenia?!

And btw: yep - the title is absolutely wrong. It must be "gun city" now. When happened the last stabbing? It's more fashion now to shoot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well in fairness the only reason they printed with that heading is because last time it caused a big debate, as its doing (on a smaller scale again)... so this right here is there reason for printing the headline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

Its a Tabloid.....

They sell papers by pissing people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

And btw: yep - the title is absolutely wrong. It must be "gun city" now. When happened the last stabbing? It's more fashion now to shoot...

actually it's funny you say that , there was a stabbing in Singland last night.20 year old i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Jumpy wrote:
    Fair play to Sohailia though, she seems to be getting some amount of press time lately.

yes.. well done her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

cornbb wrote:
    Ah come on. The first paragraph reads "the unfair tag of stab city" and apart from the use of that unfortunate phrase the article is pretty positive. Granted, the Sunday World is a worthless rag, but people need to take stuff like that with a pinch of salt. Taking offence at every little slur/percieved slur won't stop the slurrers!
    ya i was about to say the same other than the heading it dosnt say anything bad about Limerick
    dont see to much problem with it as she corrects the heading in the 1st paragraphy by saying 'the unfair tag of stab city'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Ah, it's always the same. People complaining about the bad press (Dublin press of course...) and tell everybody how nice it is here and how many decent hardworking people live here.

But then in the evening they lock up themself behind their estate walls and fences, secure their home with CCTV cameras and won't go around the corner for the chipper.

Jayzus, isn't this called Schizophrenia?!

What?

Who does this? All of us? God you really are misinformed, either that or a troll.

Oh and no what you're decribing would be Paranoia, not Schizophrenia.

For some info on Schizophrenia Click Here

kyp, you forgot the statistics, numbers and figures how beautiful life in LIM is and how bad Cork, Galway and Dublin are. Dream on, keep your eyes closed and don't face the reality!

for the Paranoia/Schizophrenia - what ever it is, it is not healthy!

:D and ;) and :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

kyp, you forgot the statistics, numbers and figures how beautiful life in LIM is and how bad Cork, Galway and Dublin are. Dream on, keep your eyes closed and don't face the reality!

for the Paranoia/Schizophrenia - what ever it is, it is not healthy!

:D and ;) and :p

How stupid are you?!
    No seriously, I'm asking.

Are you saying that when it's proven, by the gardai national crime figures, that Limerick has less crime per capita than Dublin, Cork, or Galway, that, that's just people closing their eyes.

How stupid would we have to be to ignore the facts!

Nobody here disputes that there is crime in Limerick, but it's the same crime that is in Dublin, Galway and Cork!

You're the kind of person that argues something, and then when proven wrong by the facts, just ignores then and keeps on preaching the same old sh*te!

Grow up.

I've missed it, really! Karmafearie and her endless ride on the statistics... Always trust pavlov's reflex!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I've never posted stats, just referred people to other peoples earlier postings.

For the most part it's people with very little actual experience of Limerick that need it pointed out to them, but then there's always the exception that proves the fool!
    (Did you like my clever word play there?!;) )

Oh, FYI I'm not a her.

Advertisement