Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any games similar to Deus Ex?

Options
  • 22-10-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anything out or coming out for the PC that is akin to Deus Ex? That game was just incredible, but there hasn't really been much like it since. So any recommendations, or grumbling agreements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Now do you mean in gameplay or do you mean atmosphere or both?

Cause for Gameplay:

Bioshock will be the closest coming up.

Atmosphere...meh dont know.

Both...Highly unlikely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

System Shock 1 and 2 are the closest you will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Now do you mean in gameplay or do you mean atmosphere or both?

Cause for Gameplay:

Bioshock will be the closest coming up.

Atmosphere...meh dont know.

Both...Highly unlikely.

Gameplay, I suppose. I mean the very open-ended nature of the game, lots of freedom, different routes you can take, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

System Shock 2 is free these days so you have absolutely no excuse for not playing one of the best games ever made. Download it, and the hi-res texture pack, at the link I gave you. Navy forever!

P.S. I assume you want nothing to do with Deus Ex 2: Invisible War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Steven wrote:
    P.S. I assume you want nothing to do with Deus Ex 2: Invisible War

Speak not the name :(

I enjoyed the Thief games on a lot of the same levels as Deus Ex. Less fighting though, obviously

• Advertisement

Gameplay, I suppose. I mean the very open-ended nature of the game, lots of freedom, different routes you can take, you know?

I see...hmm well I dont know if Bioshock has the same open-endness (neither does System shock 2) but they have similar weapon and role-playing features I believe. System Shock 2 feels sort of like the Aliens to Deus ex's X-Files to use movie comparisons (seeing as you are the film mod).

But yeah, in the coming up scheduale, cant think of many pc games with the similar game style, there's a few MMO's that use similar game mechanics

chief among them is Neocron (http://ng.neocron.com/index.php?id=13) though I personnally havnt played it.

But yeah your sort of stuck because Deux Ex was pretty much the pinnacle in deep open ended story games on the PC, unless you want to give a few RPGs a try or go really old school (there's this sci fi rpg for the snes and mega drive which was very open ended I remember, Shadowrun was the title I think).

But yeah the well's sort of dry at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, I've got System Shock 2 already, and unfortunately, Deus Ex: Invisible War. And before someone else mentions it, I have Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines also.

I'll have to look into Bioshock anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

For open-endedness, you could try Omikron: The Nomad Soul, by Quantic Dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Is there anything out or coming out for the PC that is akin to Deus Ex? That game was just incredible, but there hasn't really been much like it since. So any recommendations, or grumbling agreements?

There's a game called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines that's very similar to DE. First-person action-RPG, varying ways to solve problems(like finding info by talking it out of someone or hacking into their emails, getting past guards by stealth or brute force), dozens of side-quests, the ability to customise your character to your style by choosing different starting classes and boosting individual characteristics during play, with certain quests and conversation options only available to characters with the right stats, plot involving power struggles between various factions, any of whom you can side with during the game, it's all there. It also has a greater depth of character interaction (intimidation, seduction and hypnosis are all viable choices when talking to someone) and some fantastic set-piece missions.
    Unfortunately it kind of goes to crap around 2/3rds in, and the latter portion is very unfair on characters without some degree of combat skills, but overall if you liked Deus Ex you'll probably get your money's worth out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Errr, read his posts before replying ;)
    And before someone else mentions it, I have Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines also.

I'm totally going to have to play this again. Yeah, I know, sad, right? I've played it twice already but I'm considering Nosferatu for my next go. That's when I've finished the stack of games I've got waiting.

Can't wait for Bioshock either. It's going to be all kinds of awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try roleplaying it instead, much more fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

old-skool you're talkinh Half Life 1, Sin... It's very RPG oriented is Deus Ex so maybe you could try something like Morrowind, when you finish that have a crack at Oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

koneko wrote:

I'm totally going to have to play this again. Yeah, I know, sad, right? I've played it twice already but I'm considering Nosferatu for my next go. That's when I've finished the stack of games I've got waiting.
    Gah *kicks self*
    At least I may have sold it to someone who hadn't heard of it.
    Did you play it as a Malkavian? Always meant to try it myself, seems like a good laugh.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I picked up Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth (FPS/Adventure) cheap in Game a couple of days ago. I'm not that far into it and I can see some flaws already but if you like your FPS's with a good story and a lot of creepy atmospehere, its worth picking up. Any System Shock 1/2 & Thief fans should definitely buy it.

I have a load of new games bought since I upgraded my PC but I've shoved them all aside to play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

If you liked Deus Ex you'd like thief 3, I must play that game again. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from butcher bay had levels that were very "deus exy" aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very different games but Knights of the Old Republic has a weird open ended Deus Ex vibe going for it. Pretty sure I saw the PC version of the second one going cheap in game t'other day.
    Just installed SS2 (most difficult install ever) which is the most Deus Ex like game ive seen, yet ye have it already.

Ah but what a game. Must install it again in the near future. Refuse to play the 2nd one after the bad stories I hear weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Thief 3 ftw.
    Not the same as Deus Ex, but still a cracking game and similar in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thought Thief 3 was pants in fairness. Nothing compared to the original. I think you safest bet is to restart Deus Ex. Nothing else comes close.

Actually, play Deus Ex 2, and then go back to part one, and you'll see it in a whole new light! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

It's been a long time since I've played the first Thief. I remember the first time I played Thief 3 I thought it was pretty pants too, but I reinstalled it last week and I'm enjoying the hell out of it atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

if you ever do find something even close to deus ex 1 do share, it is my favourite game ever :)
    as said, bioshock looks like it might match it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Trode wrote:
    Gah *kicks self*
    At least I may have sold it to someone who hadn't heard of it.
    Did you play it as a Malkavian? Always meant to try it myself, seems like a good laugh.

Yeah Malkavian was a blast. I'd definitely recommend it for a second playthrough, as some of the stuff you say is sort of prophetic, and would make a lot more sense if you already know the characters and what is going to happen. Adds some nice extra touches, and it's a lot of fun being a crazy vampire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

koneko wrote:

I have installed Vampire bloodlines again and started playing and it is quite entertaining, for those of you (who like me) may be thinking of playing this game remember there is an unofficial patch available think its at 3.0 or 3.0 which will go ovet the official 1.2 patch and I believe it does a lot to improve gameplay issues and buggy quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I see...hmm well I dont know if Bioshock has the same open-endness (neither does System shock 2) but they have similar weapon and role-playing features I believe. System Shock 2 feels sort of like the Aliens to Deus ex's X-Files to use movie comparisons (seeing as you are the film mod).

SS2 is more open ended than Deus Ex in fairness - Deus Ex was a fairly linear leveled shooter with sidequests on each level and an RPG element. You completed level 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, etc. The only part where it trumped SS2 was the open-ending itself where you could effectively choose which end movie you wanted - nothing prior to the last 5-10 minutes affected the ending though.

SS2 on the other hand was basically a sandbox - you had the run of the ship, and enemies continued to spawn even through "cleared" areas. There was no levels as in Deus Ex. If you dropped a medhypo back in the engineering sub deck 10 hours ago, you could head back and pick it up. You couldnt assume it would be safe though. You had fixed goals/tasks but thats inherent in good gameplay.

Hopefully Bioshock will lean towards the sandbox style of enviroment, rather than Deus Ex style levels.

SS2 on the other hand was basically a sandbox - you had the run of the ship, and enemies continued to spawn even through "cleared" areas. There was no levels as in Deus Ex.

But gameplay mechanics were more open ended in Deus Ex, all the choices you had in approaching problems in System Shock 2 were present in Deus ex, plus a whole new level when one takes in both the more diverse skills list and also the Role playing elements and NPC interaction.

Also Deus Ex may have started quite linear (mission 1, then 2 etc) but there were points when the levels all opened up to a point, and unlike System shock 2 the events in the game changed elements of these levels (such as before
    you defect from Unatco
    All of New York is open for your exploration. and later in the game with the aid of the helicopter most areas open up fully for you, there are points when you are bottled back into a direct line
    undersea base, france etc.
    but normally after you've gone through those points the game returns to a open ended style.

System Shock 2, had similar restrictions, it was open ended, but you couldnt go off to any level in the ship until the *objective* for that level is complete
    unlocking enginearing, clearing away blocked elevator, etc.
    so despite not having levels in the traditional sense, it isnt as open ended as one would think (which can be seen as a good thing for balancing issues.)

But lets not bicker, both games are all time classics.

And I just thought of an upcoming game that does match Karl's criteria...problem is. Uhhh. We dont know when it will ever show up?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_-_Shadow_of_Chernobyl

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    all the choices you had in approaching problems in System Shock 2 were present in Deus ex, plus a whole new level when one takes in both the more diverse skills list and also the Role playing elements and NPC interaction.

The skills tree for System Shock 2 was larger than the Deus Ex one, even taking into account the various upgrades you could pick up. Did you forget about the OSA abilites? It's practically another game if you go down that route.

While it's true that most of the levels require something to be done to grant you access, once you had unlocked them you were free to roam. However, that doesn't make it more or less open ended than Deus Ex.

ahh yes the OSA, sorry about that my mistake, I keep forgetting them (I tend to go the I can unlock stuff and fix things route with these sort of games)

Engineers unite!

indeed. Always wanted a system shock gamw where its on a a ship thats slowly dying (being pulled into gravity pull of a planet or black hole or something.) And the player depending on his role will spend as much time cutting through bulkheads, restoring power and trying his best to keep the ship afloat as well as shooting whatever horrors are running loose in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I don't know if any of you have played this game (either have i) but i remember in work there was a game called "Neuro Hunter", it looked the absolute spitting image of deus ex. I was actually going to buy it in work but then we never got any more of them in stock, i dont know if its a good game or not, i didnt read any of the reviews about it. But it would be defo worth a read online to see what its like if your thinking of getting a similar game to dues ex.

• Advertisement

http://www.acegamez.co.uk/reviews_pc/Neuro_Hunter_PC.htm

review...doesnt sound too great. The idea that you're not punished for stealing stuff is quite funny.

Advertisement