Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed

Options
  • 22-10-2006 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

Im looking to buy a racer and need some help, Its my first racer and i dont know what to look for, Im looking to buy a reasonably good one (could go upto ~700 euro) dont know how to diferentiate between bikes, maybe a pure basic bike would do, i dont know, basically my goals are to get fitter and part of this would be to get out and cycle,

Also one other thing, how do i know what size bike i would need, im around 6 1', do any of ye know some bike shops around limerick?

Thanks,
    vl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Visit a good bike shop to have all your questions answered.
    You might get a list of bike shops by emailing someone in Limerick Triathlon club.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would consider something like the Giant SCR 3 which is a good value entry-level racer. Never rode one myself but others have good reports. Alternatively you could consider buying second-hand, although this probably isn't the best idea if you are completely new to cycling.

If you are starting off, yes, the most basic bike will do as long as it fits you right, that's the most important thing. I'm 6 foot and ride a 58cm compact geometry frame myself but you really need to test ride and get advice from someone knowledgeable on this especially if it is your first bike.

Also, if you are just starting off and it is for fitness you could also consider a hybrid (flat bars) rather than a racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I just bought a LaPierre 918 FdJ from cyclesuperstore in tallaght and I love it. It comes in under your budget and is a good bike. It has a lot of Ritchey components rather than the Giants that have their own brand and I reckon you get a better deal on the LaPierres than most of the better known names (Trek and Giant spring to mind).
    It might be worth a trip out to Tallaght if you're in Dublin to have a look and take one for a spin. As blorg says, getting the right size is important so make sure you go somewhere that people know what they're talking about - any reputable bike-shop should be fine, just steer clear of kids who look like they're working part-time and look for someone who knows a lot about bikes.

Enjoy it when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I just bought a LaPierre 918 FdJ from cyclesuperstore in tallaght and I love it. It comes in under your budget and is a good bike. It has a lot of Ritchey components rather than the Giants that have their own brand and I reckon you get a better deal on the LaPierres than most of the better known names (Trek and Giant spring to mind).
    It might be worth a trip out to Tallaght if you're in Dublin to have a look and take one for a spin. As blorg says, getting the right size is important so make sure you go somewhere that people know what they're talking about - any reputable bike-shop should be fine, just steer clear of kids who look like they're working part-time and look for someone who knows a lot about bikes.

Enjoy it when you get it.

Lapierre are building bikes since 1946, and have years of experience! Giant was only established in 1972! I would say they tower over Giant in many repects (on top range bikes anyway) except MTB bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blorg wrote:
    Also, if you are just starting off and it is for fitness you could also consider a hybrid (flat bars) rather than a racer.
    Definitely, or a mountain bike.
    A racer has a more uncomfortable riding position, it is not suited to most irish roads, and is more flimsy than other styles of bikes so is likely to need more servicing and repair, more punctures too. A MTB is safer since it has better grip.

The advantage of a racer is speed, that is all, it is lighter with thin wheels so has a lower "rolling resistance", i.e. you can free wheel further since there is less friction between you and the road.

In one hour say you want to expend 500kcal. Using 500kcal you might travel 10 miles on a racer yet only 8 miles on the mountain bike (i.e. the same amount of energy and effort are used, but a mountain bike is less efficient due to energy lost to suspension and tyre friction, but you end up as fit as you would on a racer). If you are only trying to get fit/lose weight, i.e. by expending calories at a given rate at a given time, then it is better to choose the mountain bike. Due to the more comfortable ride you are more likely to want to cycle, safer in the rain too, and you can go offroad if you wish or down dodgy roads with potholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

vloger, where are you based? What do you want to use this bike for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Agreed, Lapierre indeed have a very good name. I wouldn't put too much stock in the establishment date though, Specialized, Trek and Cannondale were all founded in the 1970s and are certainly well regarded. Raleigh, Dawes and Claude Butler for example all date back to god knows when but it doesn't make them better! Giant are a good mass manufacturer well known for offering excellent value compared to the American manufacturers. (A Lapierre may well do the same or better, !)

Personally I have the view that a mountain bike is for off road use and pointless if you are planning on cycling on roads/tracks exclusively. For the same money a hybrid will be lighter and faster and personally I would think more comfortable on the road. Rubadub has a point to an extent about the calorie burning but I would find the extra weight and drag frustrating. And non-lockable suspension is just plain annoying on the road. It's like buying an SUV for dropping your kids to school.

I have nothing whatsoever against mountain bikes but all the design decisions are made to optimise for off-road use. You _can_ work around some of these by adding slicks, etc. but why not just get something designed for the road in the first place.

Advertisement